Normal "Display" Battery Usage (N10) (Tests)

Atargatis

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a new (but not happy) owner of N10. I scanned the forums but I couldn't find an answer, may be you could possibly help. So, what is the normal "Display" battery usage? What readings do you get? Personally, although I have set the Brightness to 0%, I get a constant 66% display battery usage..............

Not normal, right?

Last edited:

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Normal "Display" Battery Usage (N10)

Hi all,

I'm a new (but not happy) owner of N10. I scanned the forums but I couldn't find an answer, may be you could possibly help. So, what is the normal "Display" battery usage? What readings do you get? Personally, although I have set the Brightness to 0%, I get a constant 66% display battery usage..............

Not normal, right?

Not really sure what you are asking. How long does your battery last? Do you get a full day out of a charge? If so, that's great. If not, how much do you use it? What apps are installed? A little more info is needed
On days when my tablet is not plugged in it can go all day without a charge. I leave the screen brightness closer to 35% and can watch a movie, check e-mails, check internet, etc and the battery is always good at the end of the day.

Atargatis

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

I thought that Brightness affected the "Display" battery usage value. For me, this value is stuck to 66% no matter how high or low my brightness is. Anyway, I just did a reset to factory defaults, through Settings. No app installed (besides the default ones), just MX player. So, I started with 34% of battery to watch a movie. After an hour and a half of the movie, I will report back to give you the reading.

New tablet (counting days).

p.s. I still don't see the "Pulse" led working... but that's (probably) another issue. I also need 4 hours of charge just for 20% of power up (charge on the wall). But that's another issue (or not?). I will try to go step-by-step and see how it goes...

Atargatis

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Ok, after an hour and 45 minutes of watching just a movie, battery was drained from 34% to... 0%. Now the tablet is off, not the slightest drop of power just to go to the home page. Nothing. The tablet even closed before the end of the movie.

I'm charging right now, factory cables and outlets onto the wall. Will report back total time of full charge (from 0% to 100%).

p.s. new tablet (bought a week ago, kernel version Tue Jan 8 17:22:07, Build JDQ39 no apps except the default ones + MX player to watch the movie).

***update #1: ok, so now officially I have a semi-dead N10. It won't charge on the wall socket, it won't charge via micro-USB to USB, in my PC. It only starts-up after I keep pressing the power button for more than 60 seconds. It says "0%-Charging (USB)" but it doesn't actually charge. Just a step away from RMA.

***update #2: after 11h of micro-USB to USB charging, I'm at 50% (started with 0%). Just for statistics. I will try a new cable and socket charger today and see what happens.

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

***update #1: ok, so now officially I have a semi-dead N10. It won't charge on the wall socket, it won't charge via micro-USB to USB, in my PC. It only starts-up after I keep pressing the power button for more than 60 seconds. It says "0%-Charging (USB)" but it doesn't actually charge. Just a step away from RMA.

***update #2: after 11h of micro-USB to USB charging, I'm at 50% (started with 0%). Just for statistics. I will try a new cable and socket charger today and see what happens.

Micro USB to PC will charge slower as the PC does not supply as much juice as is provided from the wall. I've also been told that the "wall wart" that came with the nexus 10 passes more power onto the device than the Typical 'wall wart' so make sure the amps/watts/volts etc of your replacement match or you will be comparing apples to oranges.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Ok, after an hour and 45 minutes of watching just a movie, battery was drained from 34% to... 0%. Now the tablet is off, not the slightest drop of power just to go to the home page. Nothing. The tablet even closed before the end of the movie.

I'm charging right now, factory cables and outlets onto the wall. Will report back total time of full charge (from 0% to 100%).

p.s. new tablet (bought a week ago, kernel version Tue Jan 8 17:22:07, Build JDQ39 no apps except the default ones + MX player to watch the movie).

Are you charging with the factory charger and cable? If so, it should take about 5-6 hours to charge a tablet from near zero to full.

If you run the unit down you should plug in the charger and go do something else for a few hours before you try to power up the system. If not, the system will boot and then die since there not enough power in the battery to keep the unit running. This will occur over and over until you leave the unit alone.

Also, I believe the 66% means of the total power consumed, 66% went to the display.

Atargatis

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Thank you and yes, I know this is true. Anyway, I thought just to keep "stress-testing" the device and I found that using micro-USB to PC option to charge, it took me 23h 35m to fully charge it from 0% to 100%. Then I watched a movie and it used 21% of battery after 1h 30m. I don't say it's good or bad, just benchmarking. Next, I will try to drain it out once again but now I'll use the wall socket for charging and will report back.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Thank you and yes, I know this is true. Anyway, I thought just to keep "stress-testing" the device and I found that using micro-USB to PC option to charge, it took me 23h 35m to fully charge it from 0% to 100%. Then I watched a movie and it used 21% of battery after 1h 30m. I don't say it's good or bad, just benchmarking. Next, I will try to drain it out once again but now I'll use the wall socket for charging and will report back.

Most reviews are listing 4-5 hours or so when watching videos, which is about what you are seeing.

The reviews also list somewhere around 5 hours to charge from near 0 to 100% with the factory charger and cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781