Nexus 10 will not start

driscs

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had the problem of a Nexus 10 simply not coming on. The battery had plenty of charge and all was working perfectly, but now I can't get it to come on. Any ideas?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
How long have you depressed the power button for? Try holidng it down for 30 seconds or until you feel a brief vibration.

driscs

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Devlyn16. I have only been holding it down for about 15 seconds, so will try for much longer and let you know the results.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if this is an Android bug rather than a hardware bug because I -- and quite a few other people -- have the same problem with the Nexus 4. There's no pattern to it. It powers on right away for days or weeks, and then suddenly it doesn't.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Had this problem for the first time just the other day. Before leaving for work in the morning, I had powered it off with just under 50% battery remaining...later that evening it would not power back on.

As it turns out, the battery was dead.

When it wouldn't power on (no matter how long I held power button), I plugged it in. At first was alarmed because normally if the tablet is turned off, when I plug it in the screen will brighten, and a charging battery icon will appear for a seconds before the screen goes black again. This did not happen. After a few minutes (of panic), it started to show a strange white battery icon every few seconds when I had the power button depressed, but it still would not power on. (Keep in mind, at this point I'm assuming the battery has a charge, since it had ~50% when I shut it down hours before). Then, about 5 minutes after that, I saw the screen light up and show the *normal* charging icon. At this point, my tablet was able to power back on, but when it came up, battery was at 1%.

A few things:
1. Apparently if the battery is completely dead, it will take a few minutes to get enough charge to power on, even if plugged in.
2. I'm not sure how my battery went from 50% to 0% in about 12 hours while turned off. I checked battery monitor widget, and it stopped logging events at the same time in the morning that I shut it down (so I know I wasn't crazy and that I had INDEED shut it down). I figure that either the shutdown process went haywire and a process kept running until the device just died, or my battery isn't calibrated correctly to the device and the actual power level of the battery when I shut it down was much lower than the % meter on the device indicated.
3. I've had my battery run well below the 50% mark in the past without any issues, making me think it may be the former.
4. I hope it doesn't do it again. SCARY!

tl/dr: If this happens to you, plug it in for a few minutes before you start to really panic.

driscs

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Paintdrinkingpete you are officially a genius! It seems like the battery had suddenly lost all its charge. I put it on charge, but it took a couple of hours to do anything. Now it is working fine, although the original cause remains a bit of a worry.
Many, many thanks.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Paintdrinkingpete you are officially a genius! It seems like the battery had suddenly lost all its charge. I put it on charge, but it took a couple of hours to do anything. Now it is working fine, although the original cause remains a bit of a worry.
Many, many thanks.

Yeah, I bought my tablet in January and have had zero issues with it until it did that last week. I'm hoping that it was just a odd glitch (as I mentioned in my post above, something like a shutdown process that failed to terminate and drained the battery), and not something that will be a re-occurring issue.

It sounds like your took a bit longer to charge up to the point where it could be powered back on, as mine only took 5~10 minutes, but obviously a very similar situation.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as a battery going dead, it has only happened to me once. When it happened it was becuase My son didn't quit a game he was playing on his log in so I believe it was poorly written and kept running and sucked the battery dry.

driscs

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the N4, but I possibly have an answer for the N10. Do you use a magnetic strip case? I have found that if I switch off my N10 and close the case too soon it simply goes to sleep and continues to run the battery down, albeit slowly. When powered back up, the battery meter does not update immediately and the N10 then dies because it has run out of life. I now make sure it is truly off before closing the case.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I can't speak for the N4, but I possibly have an answer for the N10. Do you use a magnetic strip case? I have found that if I switch off my N10 and close the case too soon it simply goes to sleep and continues to run the battery down, albeit slowly. When powered back up, the battery meter does not update immediately and the N10 then dies because it has run out of life. I now make sure it is truly off before closing the case.

Hmmm...it's highly possible this is what happened with mine.

(see post above).

bandjsmeeton

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same problem. Nexus 10 was 95% charged when I shut it down last night but would not start 12 hours later. Tried holding power button down for 30+ seconds several times, with and without pressing the volume button - nothing, totally dead. Connected charger, initially no response but when the power button was held down the battery fully charged icon appeared briefly.

Read the above post and left charger connected. After 10 minutes was able to start up and battery showed just 2% charged. Is my battery dying or is there a software issue - only time will tell!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae