Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By scmagnolia
  • 3 Post By badbrad17
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Unhappy I need Android/Nexus for Dummies

Apparently, I'm not quite as smart as my son thinks I am. He talked me out of getting an IPad and said I could learn how to use Nexus 10 just fine. He is a computer programmer, I am a teacher. I have a Masters in Educational technology, but I feel so out of my element! I don't have a smart phone, so no knowledge transfer there.

Does anyone know of a site or forum for dummies?
    kagra003 likes this.

Default Re: I need Android/Nexus for Dummies

Like anything else, there's a bit of a learning curve for Android, which is admittedly a little steeper than that for the iPad. I think you'll find, though, that the flexibility and customizability is worth it. There's a very long thread here that should be helpful--start reading it from page 1!

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks
    Thanked by:

Check out the Google Play Store for the official Nexus instruction manuals. They are perfect for a simple, informative overview.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Like anything else, there's a bit of a learning curve for Android, which is admittedly a little steeper than that for the iPad. I think you'll find, though, that the flexibility and customizability is worth it. There's a very long thread here that should be helpful--start reading it from page 1!

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks
    Not to criticize, but is it really? I mean people say this all the time, and if you really want to get into more advanced stuff I tend to agree, but for the basic user is it really that much steeper a learning curve, especially if you've never used either?

A few years ago this was quite true...Apple's iOS was released as a pretty polished product but Android, despite any benefits it had over Apple's platform was quite rough around the edges. Now though, I don't see why picking up a Nexus 10 and learning to use it from scratch would be any more difficult than learning to use an iPad right out of the box...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Yep' I read that the day I got my Nexus. I need more
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Thanks' that sounds like what I need.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by scmagnolia View Post
    My suggestion for novice users is to start by removing all apps and widgets from your home screens and think only about the apps you need. This will allow you to take it slow and familiarize yourself with the apps you are using. Then after you get used to adding apps you can play with other features and widgets if the need arises. You can dumb down (no offense) your Nexus 10, but you can't make a iPad do more. Be patient.

Think of it this way. Some people buy a DVD player and only turn it on and put a disc into it. Other people learn how to program it and explore how to do other things. You may cross that line later on. Or you may not. An iPad is more like a toaster. It makes great toast but that's all it does.

If you have specific questions then fire away as there are many people here who want to help. You can also check out youtube as there are a lot of people doing tutorials on how to use your new tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by scmagnolia View Post
    you read the 20 page article and you need more??

alright here is some info about nexus 10 also under "Get help" get the Nexus 10 Guidebook (PDF)

features of android Jelly bean
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Not to criticize, but is it really? I mean people say this all the time, and if you really want to get into more advanced stuff I tend to agree, but for the basic user is it really that much steeper a learning curve, especially if you've never used either?
    I said a little steeper, not Mount Everest It's the customization stuff that makes it a little trickier for the very basic user. Just look at the reviews for any live wallpaper in Google Play, and you'll always find a few people who give it 1 star because they "can't open it."

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I said a little steeper, not Mount Everest It's the customization stuff that makes it a little trickier for the very basic user. Just look at the reviews for any live wallpaper in Google Play, and you'll always find a few people who give it 1 star because they "can't open it."
    Fair enough...

Fair enough...
    I would agree though that if a person hasn't used either, then "today" its a wash - both are so similar to people who haven't used either...
    Thanked by:

I am not as smart as my daughter thinks I am either. Kids these days!!!! I have been using Youtube tutorials, TedTalks, and KhanAcademy. These are all helpful sites. The best solution however, is time and what another reader said was to start slow and not overload with apps from the get-go. PATIENCE. It is hard in 'techy today' but if you go slowly and plug away at the front end...... I am pretty stymied too. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Glad I could help.

"Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks" is applicable to phones; scmagnolia and I need help for our Nexus 10s. The Nexus 10 Guidebook tells you about all the wonderful things that you can do with your Nexus 10, but it doesn't tell you how to do them. What I (and I suspect scmagnolia) need is a how-to guide. For example, how can I do something as seemingly simple as transfer files - like photos - from my Nexus 10 to my Windows 7 PC's 500GB backup drive? Or vice versa? I tried to find some kind of New User's Guide to the Nexus 10 on Amazon, but the only things available there seem to be short publications written by people trying to make a fast buck. I think it is unconscionable of Google not to provide at least some kind of online tutorial on the use of the Nexus 10, with lots of illustrations and examples.

I agree with what others have written. Just ask.

I am more then willing to answer any questions I can.

As far as accessing files on the N10. Easiest way would just be to plug a USB cable in between your computer and the N10. Then from my computer you will see a device for the N10 listed. Open it up and you will see the storage on the N10.

See that is to transfer directly between them. You can also use cloud services like Google + or dropbox to do it automatically

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Mavrrick, I tried what you recommended for file transfer, but it didn't work. The bar on the Windows system that indicates that a memory device is being read (in this case the Nexus 10 memory itself) creeps along for a long time and then seems to go into an endless loop without ever showing the photo files that I have stored therein and which I wish to copy onto the Windows backup drive.

Did the nexus 10 say anything about the transfer mode? MTP or PTP?

Honestly that isn't the method I use. I just use dropbox. Are there any messages from the windows box.

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard77 View Post
    "Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks" is applicable to phones; scmagnolia and I need help for our Nexus 10s. The Nexus 10 Guidebook tells you about all the wonderful things that you can do with your Nexus 10, but it doesn't tell you how to do them. What I (and I suspect scmagnolia) need is a how-to guide. For example, how can I do something as seemingly simple as transfer files - like photos - from my Nexus 10 to my Windows 7 PC's 500GB backup drive? Or vice versa? I tried to find some kind of New User's Guide to the Nexus 10 on Amazon, but the only things available there seem to be short publications written by people trying to make a fast buck. I think it is unconscionable of Google not to provide at least some kind of online tutorial on the use of the Nexus 10, with lots of illustrations and examples.
    Mavrrick, I tried what you recommended for file transfer, but it didn't work. The bar on the Windows system that indicates that a memory device is being read (in this case the Nexus 10 memory itself) creeps along for a long time and then seems to go into an endless loop without ever showing the photo files that I have stored therein and which I wish to copy onto the Windows backup drive.
    It really should work automatically...I've done it plenty of times with my Windows 7 PC without having to setup anything ahead of time.

Is the "500GB Backup drive" attached directly to the motherboard (i.e. is it an internal drive) or is it USB drive? If it's the latter, have to tried copying the files to your C: drive first? Maybe it's a hardware/USB related issue?

Also, I'm assuming that you're able to browse the files on your N10 fine, but just not able to copy them...is that true, or can you not even browse the contents of your internal storage in Windows Explorer?

It really should work automatically...I've done it plenty of times with my Windows 7 PC without having to setup anything ahead of time.

Is the "500GB Backup drive" attached directly to the motherboard (i.e. is it an internal drive) or is it USB drive? If it's the latter, have to tried copying the files to your C: drive first? Maybe it's a hardware/USB related issue?

Also, I'm assuming that you're able to browse the files on your N10 fine, but just not able to copy them...is that true, or can you not even browse the contents of your internal storage in Windows Explorer?
    I am now able to transfer files back and forth between my PC and my Nexus 10. It seemed to have something to do with syncing with Windows Media Player, which I had avoided, since I use the VLC Media Player instead.

Now I have a new problem; I have a number of non-Kindle e-books on my PC that I would like to transfer to the Nexus 10, but I don't know where to transfer them to on the Nexus file system so that they can be read by Aldiko (or for that matter, by the Nexus e-book reader). Anyone know how to do that?

I am now able to transfer files back and forth between my PC and my Nexus 10. It seemed to have something to do with syncing with Windows Media Player, which I had avoided, since I use the VLC Media Player instead.

Now I have a new problem; I have a number of non-Kindle e-books on my PC that I would like to transfer to the Nexus 10, but I don't know where to transfer them to on the Nexus file system so that they can be read by Aldiko (or for that matter, by the Nexus e-book reader). Anyone know how to do that?
    (The following is a response to Beauregard's question above, and not to the OP)
    Yes, someone knows how to do that. It has been discussed on this forum previously. If you use Google, you can easily find several threads that discuss it. They should provide you the info you are after.

By the way, before anyone accuses me of being mean and insensitive to Beauregard by not providing him the links to the information I found: in response to a previous thread he started, I gently pointed out that he could use Google and probably find the answers to his questions himself, since there is a wealth of information on the internet already on just about any topic imaginable. Another forum member and I also went to the trouble to use Google ourselves, and actually provided him a couple of different links that should have been helpful in resolving the issue he was having. He never even acknowledged those posts, much less give us a simple "thank you". Apparently all he wants to do is ask for help, and then sit back and let other people do all his work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmnasa69 View Post
    (The following is a response to Beauregard's question above, and not to the OP)
    Yes, someone knows how to do that. It has been discussed on this forum previously. If you use Google, you can easily find several threads that discuss it. They should provide you the info you are after.

By the way, before anyone accuses me of being mean and insensitive to Beauregard by not providing him the links to the information I found: in response to a previous thread he started, I gently pointed out that he could use Google and probably find the answers to his questions himself, since there is a wealth of information on the internet already on just about any topic imaginable. Another forum member and I also went to the trouble to use Google ourselves, and actually provided him a couple of different links that should have been helpful in resolving the issue he was having. He never even acknowledged those posts, much less give us a simple "thank you". Apparently all he wants to do is ask for help, and then sit back and let other people do all his work for him.
    My heartfelt apologies for not thanking forum members for their assistance. My only excuse is that I was still feeling so infuriated with Google for their lack of information about the Nexus 10 that I forgot simple courtesy. I thank all of you now, including ibmnasa69 for calling it to my attention. I did, in fact, try Googling for answers to my questions before resorting to this forum, and got tons of bad information - not uncommon in my experience. I will be more circumspect in my future interactions with this forum, and in the meanwhile, I'll see what I can find out on my own. However, I continue to feel that neither I nor any other Nexus 10 user should have to resort to third party information searches to find answers to the kinds of questions that I have had. If Google had any sense of responsibility to its customers it would have provided that information on its own.

My heartfelt apologies for not thanking forum members for their assistance. My only excuse is that I was still feeling so infuriated with Google for their lack of information about the Nexus 10 that I forgot simple courtesy. I thank all of you now, including ibmnasa69 for calling it to my attention. I did, in fact, try Googling for answers to my questions before resorting to this forum, and got tons of bad information - not uncommon in my experience. I will be more circumspect in my future interactions with this forum, and in the meanwhile, I'll see what I can find out on my own. However, I continue to feel that neither I nor any other Nexus 10 user should have to resort to third party information searches to find answers to the kinds of questions that I have had. If Google had any sense of responsibility to its customers it would have provided that information on its own.
    Hey Beauregard, thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I hope I didn't come across as too harsh re. you using Google...it does take a bit of working with it and figuring out the right combination of words to input, in order to find the answers one needs. However, with a bit of trial and error, one can generally get the answer to almost any question they have. Once you get to that point, YOU will be in control of the situation, instead of having to just sit there and hope that strangers reading the forum will a) have the info you need, and b) go to the trouble to provide it to you.

At any rate, I do wish you all the best, and hope that you get your tablet problems fixed. I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmnasa69 View Post
    Hey Beauregard, thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I hope I didn't come across as too harsh re. you using Google...it does take a bit of working with it and figuring out the right combination of words to input, in order to find the answers one needs. However, with a bit of trial and error, one can generally get the answer to almost any question they have. Once you get to that point, YOU will be in control of the situation, instead of having to just sit there and hope that strangers reading the forum will a) have the info you need, and b) go to the trouble to provide it to you.

At any rate, I do wish you all the best, and hope that you get your tablet problems fixed. I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with it.
    Thank you, ibmnasa69. You weren't too harsh; sometimes I just need to be whacked upside the head in order to get on the right track.