Nexus 10 or iPad 4?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I've had was the battery life but that's what happens when you have specs like the ones on the N10 plus a screen that amazing.

You see I don't really get why that is a recurring thing on here though. I was in a all day meeting offsite. All of the power plugs were used so instead of using my laptop I pulled out my N10. It lasted the entire day with webex presentation running running without stop. I don't think my old xoom would of done that.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You see I don't really get why that is a recurring thing on here though. I was in a all day meeting offsite. All of the power plugs were used so instead of using my laptop I pulled out my N10. It lasted the entire day with webex presentation running running without stop. I don't think my old xoom would of done that.
No idea.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If I know what I know now I wouldn't get the Nexus 10. Just don't do it.

I've had it since March and haven't had anything but problems. FYI, I'm stock 4.2.2, Nova launcher.

Issues:

1) Crashes. All the time. Yes, I've done several factory resets and used it bare bones to see if it'd crash... and it does. I average about 1-2 crashes a day in about a 2 hour period of use.
2) Lags a lot.
3) When connected to a TV, there is a noticeable lag.
4) Battery life isn't great. Using it as a media device (which it's made to be) you can get a maximum of 7-8 hours if you're running crappy videos. If you want to run something that has good quality you can expect 4 hours.
5) It has tons of light bleed. If you don't have it yet, you will.

I've RMA'd it once and will try to do so again. I can't believe this thing has Google's stamp on it given the serious errors it has.

That's unfortunate, I've had none of these problems with mine. There is a very small amount of light bleed noticeable if you look for it when watching HD movies, but it's nothing remotely approaching "tons." I only looked for it because I read about it on threads here and on XDA. Otherwise, I may have happily lived the rest of my N10 toting days without even knowing I had it.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
If I know what I know now I wouldn't get the Nexus 10. Just don't do it.

I've had it since March and haven't had anything but problems. FYI, I'm stock 4.2.2, Nova launcher.

Issues:

1) Crashes. All the time. Yes, I've done several factory resets and used it bare bones to see if it'd crash... and it does. I average about 1-2 crashes a day in about a 2 hour period of use.
2) Lags a lot.
3) When connected to a TV, there is a noticeable lag.
4) Battery life isn't great. Using it as a media device (which it's made to be) you can get a maximum of 7-8 hours if you're running crappy videos. If you want to run something that has good quality you can expect 4 hours.
5) It has tons of light bleed. If you don't have it yet, you will.

I've RMA'd it once and will try to do so again. I can't believe this thing has Google's stamp on it given the serious errors it has.

I'd suggest getting it replaced, you seem to have a defective unit.

Posted via Android Central App

DCM5150

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you or someone else can answer my question about apps. I am currently in the maket for a tablet. I have an S3 phone which I love. My wife has an ipad and my children have Android tablets.

My question is why does everyone say that Apple has a huge advantage over Android in terms of apps? For my phone, I have never had the situation where I wanted an app and it wasn't available for my phone (likewise, my children have never seem to have the problem either). Is it a tablet thing? Some have mentioned that the Android does autoscale (or something like that) so you don't necessarily need a tablet optimized app. So I guess since I have Android, maybe I do not know what I am missing.

I guess in simplest terms, what are the apps that I am missing by not using IOS and are these apps enough for me to spend the extra money on an iPad vs Nexus?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you or someone else can answer my question about apps. I am currently in the maket for a tablet. I have an S3 phone which I love. My wife has an ipad and my children have Android tablets.

My question is why does everyone say that Apple has a huge advantage over Android in terms of apps? For my phone, I have never had the situation where I wanted an app and it wasn't available for my phone (likewise, my children have never seem to have the problem either). Is it a tablet thing? Some have mentioned that the Android does autoscale (or something like that) so you don't necessarily need a tablet optimized app. So I guess since I have Android, maybe I do not know what I am missing.

I guess in simplest terms, what are the apps that I am missing by not using IOS and are these apps enough for me to spend the extra money on an iPad vs Nexus?

People who say that are usually just grasping at whatever they can to say that the iPad is better than Android tablets. Basically, it's a load of crap. The Nexus 10 pretty much beats the iPad 4 on every way except on battery life really and find r most that's not even a big deal plus the battery life on the Nexus 10 is still pretty good.

As for what apps that iOS has that android doesn't, IMO nothing worth mentioning as I have all the apps I need on here but this will vary from person to person.

And Android doesn't need optimized apps, there are some tablet versions of apps but rarely will you need them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As for what apps that iOS has that android doesn't, IMO nothing worth mentioning as I have all the apps I need on here but this will vary from person to person.

This is typically an argument borne from the different paradigms. In Android world, users understand that 100% of the internet (minus flash, without workarounds) is available through their device. You don't have to download the CNN app, you can view their website, etc. You can have a widget that scans thousands of websites and only shows you the most relevant to you, based on your interests. In the Apple world, you open apps. Want to read your e-mail? Open the e-mail app. In Android, you can handle many things without ever going to the app drawer and clicking on an app icon.

The apps that matter most to me for content consumption (Netflix, Google Play, HBO Go, Hulu, etc) all exists in one shape or another on both devices (Google Play isn't on Apple, iTunes isn't on Android, etc). I've still never seen an Apple device do anything that an Android cannot; not true the other direction.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
This is typically an argument borne from the different paradigms. In Android world, users understand that 100% of the internet (minus flash, without workarounds) is available through their device. You don't have to download the CNN app, you can view their website, etc. You can have a widget that scans thousands of websites and only shows you the most relevant to you, based on your interests. In the Apple world, you open apps. Want to read your e-mail? Open the e-mail app. In Android, you can handle many things without ever going to the app drawer and clicking on an app icon.

The apps that matter most to me for content consumption (Netflix, Google Play, HBO Go, Hulu, etc) all exists in one shape or another on both devices (Google Play isn't on Apple, iTunes isn't on Android, etc). I've still never seen an Apple device do anything that an Android cannot; not true the other direction.
That's always boggled my mind. You always get less for more with those phones. lol

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Most of the basic apps are covered, but some of the best creation apps are iPad-only. 123D Creature is incredibly fun and iDraw is unbelievably capable for tablet software. You can also put together an entire movie in iMovie or Pinnacle Studio. In addition to these creation apps, iTunesU is a great resource for learning that it only available in the iOS ecosystem.

Many tablet users don't use these apps, but most want Netflix, Hulu, and the web. So for most, an Android tablet works.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Having both the iPad 4 and the nexus 10, I seriously prefer the nexus 10. That being said the only reason I have the ipadmisnbecause I need it for school. But the functionality on the nexus is so much more refined and easier to access ur other apps that are open, or just being able to access your other apps from more than one location. The google play store is better in my opinion as far as just viewing a single app. It doesn't seem like there is that function for apple unless you specifically search that app. The setting for droid seem to be more functional, for instance just having separate volumes for the key clicks. Not to mention the physical size for the iPad is quite a bit bigger than the n10 and the weight of the iPad has to be at least twice of what a nexus 10 is. I know that a year from now, as far as apps go, the droids and the iPads will be virtually even.

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have an S3 and an iPad 1. It was a hammidown birthday present. I like it, the features are out of date, but it has a really good app selection. I think iOS has a better tablet app selection, but android has a lot more personalization. I urged for personalization, and after rooting and installing some cool things, my iPad is great. It's up to you!

iPad:
+Apps -Personalization
Android Tab:
+Personalization -Apps

Sent from my Verizon S3

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'd point out that I don't consider it a workaround to view Internet content with Flash. I use Firefox as my default browser. True, Adobe's not supporting Flash mobile anymore, but it's still available. And just like you have to have Flash installed on your PC to view Internet content with Flash, you just have to have it installed on your Android to view that content (using Firefox). Calling it a "workaround" is Apple think!

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Please explain.

The only thing I can think of, and it's relatively minor, is to lean on developers for tablet-optimized versions of their apps. That's the only advantage I see the iPad really having -- more tablet-optimized versions of popular apps. I know others here think it's not a problem, but I really don't like using "Tabstagram" to look at Instagram or Friendcaster for Facebook. And when you see a log in or other similar form stretching ludicrously all the way across six inches or so of screen, you know the app wasn't designed to be used on a tablet.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of, and it's relatively minor, is to lean on developers for tablet-optimized versions of their apps. That's the only advantage I see the iPad really having -- more tablet-optimized versions of popular apps. I know others here think it's not a problem, but I really don't like using "Tabstagram" to look at Instagram or Friendcaster for Facebook. And when you see a log in or other similar form stretching ludicrously all the way across six inches or so of screen, you know the app wasn't designed to be used on a tablet.

Apps like that tho are very few in number I find. I don't exactly have the biggest app collection however.