Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to stop the random reboots?

My nexus 10 keeps randomly rebooting. For example, when I am playing a game. Is there any way to stop it from doing that, or making it do it less often? Also, why does it happen? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT907

Default Re: How to stop the random reboots?

Can you provide a little background history on the device. Is it stock/rooted? Custom ROM/kernel?

To me if your rooted it sounds like a kernel causing issues..
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Can you provide a little background history on the device. Is it stock/rooted? Custom ROM/kernel?

To me if your rooted it sounds like a kernel causing issues..
    It is not rooted, it is all stock, and I have had it for about a month.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I'm having this problem as well. Thinking about flashing a custom rom/kernel to see if it solves the problem since it's been a problem since I got the tablet months ago.

fyi: happens to me with CM10.1 RC2

Before you root try changing the Location settings and adjusting Currents to not update automatically. Changing those substantially reduced the reboots on both my 32gb N10 and my wife's 16gb N10.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:

How often does your tablet reboot? Mine reboots more often now.at first it was very rare now its rebooting more often..what the f-uck is wring...for example if I'm browsing the net sometimes its just going to crash.sometimes its going to black out and I have to press the power button for it to reboot and mind you its still on full battery. Sometimes its just going to hang or freeze so I have to hold the power button for it to reboot... Is someone else experiencing this kind of problem. I've been using this tablet for 3 months already... I hope its nothing seriois
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

only occasionally. It has been doing it less though.

Sent from my XT907

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atiya View Post
    How often does your tablet reboot? Mine reboots more often now.at first it was very rare now its rebooting more often..what the f-uck is wring...for example if I'm browsing the net sometimes its just going to crash.sometimes its going to black out and I have to press the power button for it to reboot and mind you its still on full battery. Sometimes its just going to hang or freeze so I have to hold the power button for it to reboot... Is someone else experiencing this kind of problem. I've been using this tablet for 3 months already... I hope its nothing seriois
    Having the exact same experience. Very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

This is getting much more annoying. Just trying to watch a video through my local news app until it froze, became unresponsive, and rebooted.

What good is a fancy tablet that is this unstable?

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

And you can't really blame the apps because I have a nexus 7 that has never done this and I have all the same apps.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

Having the same issue over here too. I am so close to RMAing because for a six hundred dollar tablet (plus $30 for shipping) this is unacceptable. I don't like to compare companies you can damn well expect Apple to fix or resolve the issue for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

This has happened on all the Android devices I have ever owned. To test if it is your fault, or the devices fault, do a factory reset on a device, then after it has restarted from the reset, leave it on and don't do anything aside from charging it. Don't connect to wi-fi, don't log into your google account, don't do anything... Just see if it can stay on and plugged in without rebooting... I know it's lame, but it will possibly show if it is a hardware versus software issue...

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digimancer View Post
    This has happened on all the Android devices I have ever owned. To test if it is your fault, or the devices fault, do a factory reset on a device, then after it has restarted from the reset, leave it on and don't do anything aside from charging it. Don't connect to wi-fi, don't log into your google account, don't do anything... Just see if it can stay on and plugged in without rebooting... I know it's lame, but it will possibly show if it is a hardware versus software issue...
    There is definitely an issue with the n10 that is different than other android devices. My phone is rock solid stable. My n10 reboots constantly (daily since I've gotten it) and continues to get worse. I returned it once and then waited too long to return it permanently, my fault, so I wasted money.

Sent from my mobile device.

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    My nexus 10 keeps randomly rebooting. For example, when I am playing a game. Is there any way to stop it from doing that, or making it do it less often? Also, why does it happen? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT907
    Not to enjoy anybody's misery, but I am so happy to see this thread. I really thought it was just me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts

The best first thing to try is to clear/wipe the cache partition....

Clearing the partition will reformat the whole partition, not just delete the files on it. Clearing the cache partition should not delete any stored settings or configuration (but use at your own risk). It is typically done as a troubleshooting step when the tablet is acting strangely, especially with certain apps. My understanding is that the cache is just a pre-compiled version of program files to enable faster launching of apps. If the cache is removed for an app, it will just be rebuilt when the app is next launched. It is not a terribly useful way to gain any storage back, unless you have been running lots of various apps for a long time and no longer use a lot of those still-installed apps. When you delete an app, I believe it will delete the cache for that app at the same time.

how to clear Nexus 10 cache?

*Start up the bootloader by holding down volume up, volume down and power on your tablet until you feel it vibe once.
    *Use the volume up/down keys to navigate to "Recovery mode", then press the power button. It will appear to reboot.
    *When the Android with the red exclamation point appears, hold down power first, followed quickly by volume up. You should now see the recovery menu.
    *Choose the wipe cache option. It will take quite a while to format the entire cache partition (several minutes).
    *Choose option to reboot.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
    There is definitely an issue with the n10 that is different than other android devices. My phone is rock solid stable. My n10 reboots constantly (daily since I've gotten it) and continues to get worse. I returned it once and then waited too long to return it permanently, my fault, so I wasted money.

This. Easiest way to stop it is to get rid of it. Easily the worst/most frustrating android device I've owned. I don't know if it was exynos or what but seeing something non-qualcom in the rumored HTC device even puts me off after using this device. In fairness it hasn't rebooted since 4.4.3 about 8 days ago for me. Maybe they finally fixed something?

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rxnelson View Post
    This. Easiest way to stop it is to get rid of it. Easily the worst/most frustrating android device I've owned. I don't know if it was exynos or what but seeing something non-qualcom in the rumored HTC device even puts me off after using this device. In fairness it hasn't rebooted since 4.4.3 about 8 days ago for me. Maybe they finally fixed something?

I was hoping this was true but it continues for me. At least daily at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
    I was hoping this was true but it continues for me. At least daily at this point...

Using the system panel app to monitor things, I found several days ago that the N10 had rebooted itself continously, almost every hour on-the-hour from 2am until I woke up that morning. Inexplicable.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts

See post 16
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    See post 16
    I did, thanks. Let's see. I will say that it is definitely running faster since I did that, but I'll need a good week to see if reboots stop.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    See post 16
    Next theory please. I followed that cache flush procedure without a hitch.... And the reboots came back this morning at around 10 am, rebooting pretty much every 60 minutes.

Last edited by hannsoft; 07-04-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Quick question... Who, among those having this problem, uses SwiftKey on the N10?

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Next theory please. I followed that cache flush pro endure without a hitch.... And the reboots came back this morning at around 10 am, rebooting pretty much every 60 minutes.
    Last resort then- factory wipe. It could be your system is just corrupt somehow. After, do not install any apps for a while and use as-is. If you still have problems, then it is a hardware failure. If not, then introduce new apps slowly and test after each.... if the problem then returns, it is app related, uninstall and do not use that somehow majorly defective/problematic app.

Well. So much for 4.4.4. Mine died overnight sometime. It shouldn't have. I had over 50% battery left. I've had it on the charger for an hour and it still won't boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast