Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,705 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 10 battery drain.......in an instant

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Glad you got it fixed.

Just FYI, a factory reset does NOT uninstall updates. It only deletes all personal settings, data, and apps, leaving you with a "out of the box" configuration. Any updates that have been applied are permanent. If you do a factory reset with 4.3, it will still be 4.3 when it finishes.
    (I was actually shocked when I had to help my step-father factory reset his iPad and all the updates were gone!).
    Thats because he did not update the apps on iTunes.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Glad you got it fixed.

Just FYI, a factory reset does NOT uninstall updates. It only deletes all personal settings, data, and apps, leaving you with a "out of the box" configuration. Any updates that have been applied are permanent. If you do a factory reset with 4.3, it will still be 4.3 when it finishes.
    (I was actually shocked when I had to help my step-father factory reset his iPad and all the updates were gone!).
    Huh I didn't realize that. I wonder what the s/w update was then?

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

most of these issues seem like software, 95% of the time its apps keeping things awake. if i were you guys i would download something to monitor what uses the battery and what wakes the tablet, something like betterbatterystats or gsam battery monitor or wakelock detector. as for the OP, from he screen shots it seems as if your tablet froze, and drained the battery will trying to do whatever made it freeze. if factory resets don't work i would try re-installing the OS completely. hope this helps.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Interesting. I seem to have had something similar to this happen to ME for the first time, tonight. I was playing a game and suddenly it just went "poof" and the tablet said it was shutting down, with no notice. It would not turn on.

So I plugged it in and it showed the battery icon, and I booted it up. Said 0% battery and charging. I *KNOW* it wasn't anywhere near 0%. So I checked the stats. Sure enough, the graph showed it was at 40% when it suddenly just went to 0% instantly and then shut down.

So I left it on the charger and went and did other stuff for an hour. Came back and pressed the power button to see how far it had charged. Guess what.... the tablet was OFF again! Have no idea why. I had left it on. So I booted it up again and it is now showing a 19% charge. Very odd.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Interesting. I seem to have had something similar to this happen to ME for the first time, tonight. I was playing a game and suddenly it just went "poof" and the tablet said it was shutting down, with no notice. It would not turn on.

So I plugged it in and it showed the battery icon, and I booted it up. Said 0% battery and charging. I *KNOW* it wasn't anywhere near 0%. So I checked the stats. Sure enough, the graph showed it was at 40% when it suddenly just went to 0% instantly and then shut down.

So I left it on the charger and went and did other stuff for an hour. Came back and pressed the power button to see how far it had charged. Guess what.... the tablet was OFF again! Have no idea why. I had left it on. So I booted it up again and it is now showing a 19% charge. Very odd.
    Any update on what's going on?
    I just had a similar issue. I was on an airplane watching a movie and the battery went from 65% to 0 in an instant and then shut off. I then charged up the N10 in my hotel and it did the same thing on my return flight. It went from 70% to 0 in an instant and then powered off. I went home and charged it up and it's working fine today.
    I'm concerned that I also might have a battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsells View Post
    Any update on what's going on?
    It has not done it since, so I have no further info.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
    tsells 

It has not done it since, so I have no further info.
    Mine is continuing to do it. I charged it last night and unplugged it this morning (it was at 100%). It was on my desk all day and when it got to about 70% it then just shut down with 0% battery. I plugged it in and restarted the phone. The battery is at 0 and it says it is charging.
    I'd appreciate any input from someone who could shed some light on this issue.

Today when the battery got down to 70%, the tablet immediately shut down as the battery went from 70% to 0% in an instant. This is the fourth time that this has happened and it appears as if the battery is defective.
    I spoke with Google customer service and they are replacing the device.

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Today when the battery got down to 70%, the tablet immediately shut down as the battery went from 70% to 0% in an instant. This is the fourth time that this has happened and it appears as if the battery is defective.
    I spoke with Google customer service and they are replacing the device.
    Yeah, being that consistent, it does sound like the battery went bad.

I just got my replacement N10. Google made the replacement process really easy, especially since the device is a little over a year old! It is unbelievable how much "whiter" the screen looks on this new device. I always thought that my old device had a great screen, but the whites were much "yellower" on the old device as compared to the new one.

I just got my replacement N10. Google made the replacement process really easy, especially since the device is a little over a year old! It is unbelievable how much "whiter" the screen looks on this new device. I always thought that my old device had a great screen, but the whites were much "yellower" on the old device as compared to the new one.
    Glad to hear from someone who has had a positve experiacne with the replacement process
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have only owned this for a day now and mine did the same thing. Charged it full then used it for the last day and a half and at 38% it went to 0 and shut off. I got this as a gift and am very upset that happened. I hope sending it in fixes the problem. I am going to attempt to call the number and see what they can do for me. Has anyone had this happen to them and go away? Very disappointing. I don't want to send it out for repair if it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Umass021 View Post
    I have only owned this for a day now and mine did the same thing. Charged it full then used it for the last day and a half and at 38% it went to 0 and shut off. I got this as a gift and am very upset that happened. I hope sending it in fixes the problem. I am going to attempt to call the number and see what they can do for me. Has anyone had this happen to them and go away? Very disappointing. I don't want to send it out for repair if it happens again.
    I would try charging it up again and then seeing if the same thing happened. Mine would gradually drain to exactly 70% and then shut down, as the battery would be immediately at 0.

See my post above. I spoke to Google customer service via email. He suggested doing a few things that I had already tried. When I told the customer service rep that I had already tried everything that he suggested, he asked if I wanted to return mine for a replacement. They took a credit card as a deposit (although just authorized but not charged), and sent me a new device and return info. I set up the new device and just returned the old one using a return sticker via pre-paid UPS.

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would try charging it up again and then seeing if the same thing happened. Mine would gradually drain to exactly 70% and then shut down, as the battery would be immediately at 0.

See my post above. I spoke to Google customer service via email. He suggested doing a few things that I had already tried. When I told the customer service rep that I had already tried everything that he suggested, he asked if I wanted to return mine for a replacement. They took a credit card as a deposit (although just authorized but not charged), and sent me a new device and return info. I set up the new device and just returned the old one using a return sticker via pre-paid UPS.
    Did you have or need a proof or purchase? I got it as a gift and wasn't sure if it was needed. Also you said call google instead of Samsung correct?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Did you have or need a proof or purchase? I got it as a gift and wasn't sure if it was needed. Also you said call google instead of Samsung correct?

I bought it through Google and they had a record of my purchase through my email address.
    Here is the contact info that I used:
    googleplay-support@google.com

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I bought it through Google and they had a record of my purchase through my email address.
    Here is the contact info that I used:
    googleplay-support@google.com
    I emailed them and will see what happens. I am currently charging my tablet now to see if happens again. I hope not buying it thru them doesn't hurt my chances of getting it done.

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I charged my tablet to 100% again for the second time since I owned it and now running sling player to see if it drains correctly and maybe my battery needed to be broken in or maybe when I charged it the first time it wasn't really at 100%. We will see what happens.

I charged my tablet to 100% again for the second time since I owned it and now running sling player to see if it drains correctly and maybe my battery needed to be broken in or maybe when I charged it the first time it wasn't really at 100%. We will see what happens.
    Hopefully it works fine now, but there is no "breaking in" period for these batteries.

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah I figured but thought I would try it. Someone else mentioned in another forum saying it did the same thing and when they charged it the second time and it took forever but it didn't drain instantly again. I emailed Google with the address you gave me and see what they say.

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My only hope is that it wasn't really 100% when I charged it the first time and the battery was reading wrong.

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Hopefully it works fine now, but there is no "breaking in" period for these batteries.
    Yes there is. There is with all Lithium Ion. They do not reach their full potential until several charging cycles have been completed. The N10 is no exception and I saw a marked improvement in battery life after a break-in period.
    Thanked by:
    tsells 

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yes there is. There is with all Lithium Ion. They do not reach their full potential until several charging cycles have been completed. The N10 is no exception and I saw a marked improvement in battery life after a break-in period.
    I hope your right. I did fully charge it a second time and the battery drained correctly and didn't go to 0 instantly again. I let it go to 14% and then charged it full again. We will see.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app
    tsells likes this.

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

I hope your right. I did fully charge it a second time and the battery drained correctly and didn't go to 0 instantly again.
    I am not saying that charging cycles will help with THAT problem. I was only correcting the posting saying that the N10 does not benefit from initial charging cycling, which it does. I estimate my battery life was extended by up to 25% higher.

Global Posts
    1,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am not saying that charging cycles will help with THAT problem. I was only correcting the posting saying that the N10 does not benefit from initial charging cycling, which it does. I estimate my battery life was extended by up to 25% higher.
    I know I am just hoping for any good news that the problem doesn't come back.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Well, time marches on. It has been 7 months since that posting and the problem now occurs regularly. I can play games for about 2 to three hours (maybe 2 or 3 sessions of an hour each without charging) and it will show about 80% or 75% battery left, but then suddenly pop up a warning of low battery and shut down! Bought mine in November of 2012 and use it most every day. I think the battery is just wearing out... it is just such a strange way to wear. Normally lithium batteries don't act this way in computers, you just see the life shorten over time linearly with the battery indicator acting properly, going from 100% down to 0%.

Anyway, I think it might be time to consider replacing the battery. There are not a lot of choices out there. I can see the NewPower99 battery on Amazon ( Google Nexus 10 Battery Replacement Kit - Extended Life ) , which is a reasonable price at $60 + $6. But there are only 3 reviews. One review is invalid. One review is by someone who has only made one review ever, so I don't know if it is a real review. So there is really only one review, and it is positive. Has anyone else performed this battery replacement yet? If so, which battery did you use and are you happy with it?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast