Nexus 10 battery drain.......in an instant

chachma

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Update #2: It's been five days now and there may be trouble a-brewing. After my first full charge the battery seems to be draining more rapidly than it has in the past, and twice this morning when I aroused it from sleep I got a faint gray screen and had to turn it off and on to wake it up.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Update #2: It's been five days now and there may be trouble a-brewing. After my first full charge the battery seems to be draining more rapidly than it has in the past, and twice this morning when I aroused it from sleep I got a faint gray screen and had to turn it off and on to wake it up.

Why not just call it a day and get a Nexus 7 2013?

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

chachma

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Nexus 4 arriving probably today. We'll see how that goes. I bought this 10 because my wife wanted it but she's shown little interest in it. I really like it, when it's working. Gesture typing with a stylus is almost as quick and smooth as typing with a full keyboard.

chachma

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's been a little under two weeks since I got the N10 back and screen flicker is becoming a nuisance as the rate of battery drain increases. When I got it back I was getting 44 hrs of normal use between full charges. By this morning, it's down 25%in just three hrs. Looks like I'll have to expect to send it back for a third attempt at repair.

We've had the Nexus 4 for a week now with no issues.

Longjohn119

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Most of these problems are likely caused by a bad battery but some, like yours apparently, have a bad charge/power regulator which will cause the same symptoms. I'm betting it'll kill that battery too by either repeated overcharging or undercharging maybe even the wrong charge voltages.

I've seen other signs that point to weak power circuitry design (or more likely just one or two crap Chinese capacitors) in the Nexus 10

Looks to me like a Job Opportunity replacing batteries in out of warranty Nexus 10's .... I'm not a "User" I'm a Senior Level Certified Electronics Technician .... Hopefully Samsung did a little better design than the iPad which takes an afternoon and a heat gun just to change a simple battery (Which wouldn't be so bad if Apple actually passed along the savings but they don't so they can maintain their ridiculous 30% Margins)

Personally I'd rather have a slightly thicker device that has an easily replaceable battery, less heat related problems, and no backlight bleed inherent in frameless/bezel-less LCD's which are all the costs of a super thin design ....

chachma

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
A bad charging regulator seems plausible. On Thursday my typical usage drained the battery from 100% charge to 26% over 14 hrs. Overnight it recharged to only 98%. Then yesterday, still typical usage took it from that 98% down to only 86% over 13 hrs.

I might start a log on this, but I'm not sure it would do any good. I don't know if the repair techs try to solve the problem or if they just follow a Samsung repair guide.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
A bad charging regulator seems plausible. On Thursday my typical usage drained the battery from 100% charge to 26% over 14 hrs. Overnight it recharged to only 98%. Then yesterday, still typical usage took it from that 98% down to only 86% over 13 hrs.

I might start a log on this, but I'm not sure it would do any good. I don't know if the repair techs try to solve the problem or if they just follow a Samsung repair guide.

The problems youve had is ridiculous

Posted via Android Central App

chachma

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I got a lemon? If so, it would be nice if Samsung would do the right thing and replace it. That $500+ I'm out can also cost them a lot of ill will if I set my mind to it.

laynlow200

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everybody in this thread!!! I found this thread googling Nexus 10 battery issues. Mine would charge and as soon as I unplugged from the wall it would turn off. The only way it would works was to be plugged into the wall. I bought back in Feb and just the last 2 months had this issue. I couldn?t find my receipt, but I called the # at the beginning of this thread anyway. Well they never ask for a copy of the receipt. So Now 1 week later I have my tablet back. Thanks again guys!!!!

I had the same thing listed, replaced part (battery) and sw update (updated to 4.3 which I did but had to undo with a factory reset to send back to Samsung to get fixed.)

All free!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everybody in this thread!!! I found this thread googling Nexus 10 battery issues. Mine would charge and as soon as I unplugged from the wall it would turn off. The only way it would works was to be plugged into the wall. I bought back in Feb and just the last 2 months had this issue. I couldn?t find my receipt, but I called the # at the beginning of this thread anyway. Well they never ask for a copy of the receipt. So Now 1 week later I have my tablet back. Thanks again guys!!!!

I had the same thing listed, replaced part (battery) and sw update (updated to 4.3 which I did but had to undo with a factory reset to send back to Samsung to get fixed.)

All free!

Glad you got it fixed.

Just FYI, a factory reset does NOT uninstall updates. It only deletes all personal settings, data, and apps, leaving you with a "out of the box" configuration. Any updates that have been applied are permanent. If you do a factory reset with 4.3, it will still be 4.3 when it finishes.
(I was actually shocked when I had to help my step-father factory reset his iPad and all the updates were gone!).

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed.

Just FYI, a factory reset does NOT uninstall updates. It only deletes all personal settings, data, and apps, leaving you with a "out of the box" configuration. Any updates that have been applied are permanent. If you do a factory reset with 4.3, it will still be 4.3 when it finishes.
(I was actually shocked when I had to help my step-father factory reset his iPad and all the updates were gone!).

Thats because he did not update the apps on iTunes.

laynlow200

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed.

Huh I didn't realize that. I wonder what the s/w update was then?

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
most of these issues seem like software, 95% of the time its apps keeping things awake. if i were you guys i would download something to monitor what uses the battery and what wakes the tablet, something like betterbatterystats or gsam battery monitor or wakelock detector. as for the OP, from he screen shots it seems as if your tablet froze, and drained the battery will trying to do whatever made it freeze. if factory resets don't work i would try re-installing the OS completely. hope this helps.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I seem to have had something similar to this happen to ME for the first time, tonight. I was playing a game and suddenly it just went "poof" and the tablet said it was shutting down, with no notice. It would not turn on.

So I plugged it in and it showed the battery icon, and I booted it up. Said 0% battery and charging. I *KNOW* it wasn't anywhere near 0%. So I checked the stats. Sure enough, the graph showed it was at 40% when it suddenly just went to 0% instantly and then shut down.

So I left it on the charger and went and did other stuff for an hour. Came back and pressed the power button to see how far it had charged. Guess what.... the tablet was OFF again! Have no idea why. I had left it on. So I booted it up again and it is now showing a 19% charge. Very odd.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I seem to have had something similar to this happen to ME for the first time, tonight. I was playing a game and suddenly it just went "poof" and the tablet said it was shutting down, with no notice. It would not turn on.

So I plugged it in and it showed the battery icon, and I booted it up. Said 0% battery and charging. I *KNOW* it wasn't anywhere near 0%. So I checked the stats. Sure enough, the graph showed it was at 40% when it suddenly just went to 0% instantly and then shut down.

So I left it on the charger and went and did other stuff for an hour. Came back and pressed the power button to see how far it had charged. Guess what.... the tablet was OFF again! Have no idea why. I had left it on. So I booted it up again and it is now showing a 19% charge. Very odd.

Any update on what's going on?
I just had a similar issue. I was on an airplane watching a movie and the battery went from 65% to 0 in an instant and then shut off. I then charged up the N10 in my hotel and it did the same thing on my return flight. It went from 70% to 0 in an instant and then powered off. I went home and charged it up and it's working fine today.
I'm concerned that I also might have a battery.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It has not done it since, so I have no further info.

Mine is continuing to do it. I charged it last night and unplugged it this morning (it was at 100%). It was on my desk all day and when it got to about 70% it then just shut down with 0% battery. I plugged it in and restarted the phone. The battery is at 0 and it says it is charging.
I'd appreciate any input from someone who could shed some light on this issue.

Last edited:

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Today when the battery got down to 70%, the tablet immediately shut down as the battery went from 70% to 0% in an instant. This is the fourth time that this has happened and it appears as if the battery is defective.
I spoke with Google customer service and they are replacing the device.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Today when the battery got down to 70%, the tablet immediately shut down as the battery went from 70% to 0% in an instant. This is the fourth time that this has happened and it appears as if the battery is defective.
I spoke with Google customer service and they are replacing the device.

Yeah, being that consistent, it does sound like the battery went bad.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got my replacement N10. Google made the replacement process really easy, especially since the device is a little over a year old! It is unbelievable how much "whiter" the screen looks on this new device. I always thought that my old device had a great screen, but the whites were much "yellower" on the old device as compared to the new one.