Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Default Re: Compelling reason(s) to choose Nexus 10 over iPad 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    Yeah that happens with certain apps. Yes I've had a N10 certain apps were just blown up

Posted via Android Central App
    But most aren't, more than on iOS.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    But most aren't, more than on iOS.

Ha! That's really funny.... It's fact that the iPad has more tablet apps. No point arguing

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Ha! That's really funny.... It's fact that the iPad has more tablet apps. No point arguing

Android doesn't need tablet apps; apps adapt to tablets. Having dedicated tablet apps separate from their identical smartphone counterparts is a form of fragmentation.

Devlyn16 likes this.

Android doesn't need tablet apps; apps adapt to tablets. Having dedicated tablet apps separate from their identical smartphone counterparts is a form of fragmentation.

There is no fragmentation because of this. Also you are absolutely wrong on this because the app makers on the Android store have already done the same. Also the whole point of tablet apps is that they aren't identical but that is up to the developer not being lazy and truly taking advantage of extra screen space.

Best selling example is Swiftkey. They have one specifically for tablets.

Now on to the development side of things.

When you develop an app for the Apple store you have an option to make an iPhone app, an iPad app or a universal app that will have layout and resolution that conforms to the devices.
    Either way your app has to adapt to tablets. Apple makes easy to conform your app to either standard, without having to over scale or blow up certain views.

The developer can choose any of those options, that is also up to them and what kind of price range they wish to set their apps at.

When you develop an app for Android, you can have the app automatically scale with the resolution. You do not have to be force to use the aspect of a tablet over the phone, but the problem is when developers don't take the tablet into account though. Sure you can run them on your tablet but then again, it may not take advantage of that extra space.

This is where you talk about apps adapting to tablets comes into play.

Apple basically states if you wish to put an app on a tablet, we want to be designed for it because it is a better experience. You are force to have your app to adapt to tablet in order to have it available on the tablet section.

Google use to state do what you want. Now Google states, do what you want, but we are going to make a tablet optimization section of our app store because we realized that tablet apps matter. Please make tablet apps because the market needs them.

Android does need tablet apps. If you really believe in Android and want the operating system to grow well on all levels including the Enterprise, then this is a must. People like it when an app takes advantage of their larger screen.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    There is no fragmentation because of this. Also you are absolutely wrong on this because the app makers on the Android store have already done the same. Also the whole point of tablet apps is that they aren't identical but that is up to the developer not being lazy and truly taking advantage of extra screen space.

When you develop an app for the Apple store you have an option to make an iPhone app, an iPad app or a universal app that will have layout and resolution that conforms to the devices.
    Either way your app has to adapt to tablets. Apple makes easy to conform your app to either standard, without having to over scale or blow up certain views.

The developer can choose any of those options, that is also up to them and what kind of price range they wish to set their apps at.

When you develop an app for Android, you can have the app automatically scale with the resolution. You do not have to be force to use the aspect of a tablet over the phone, but the problem is when developers don't take the tablet into account though. Sure you can run them on your tablet but then again, it may not take advantage of that extra space.

Apple basically states if you wish to put an app on a tablet, we want to be designed for it because it is a better experience. You are force to have your app to adapt to tablet in order to have it available on the tablet section.

Google use to state do what you want. Now Google states, do what you want, but we are going to make a tablet optimization section of our app store because we realized that tablet apps matter. Please make tablet apps because the market needs them.

Android does need tablet apps. If you really believe in Android and want the operating system to grow well on all levels including the Enterprise, then this is a must. People like it when an app takes advantage of their larger screen.
    Thank you for proving me.

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post

I enjoyed your misinformed post. Listing one app that has a separate tablet version proves nothing. That was made cause the developer chose to. Android's apps work just as well on tablets as they do on phones (with about 2% of them being an exception) so Android needs tablet optimized apps...good one. -_- lol

It would be nice if these posts could stay relevant but I guess certain people can't handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    I enjoyed your misinformed post. Listing one app that has a separate tablet version proves nothing. That was made cause the developer chose to. Android's apps work just as well on tablets as they do on phones (with about 2% of them being an exception) so Android needs tablet optimized apps...good one. -_- lol

It would be nice if these posts could stay relevant but I guess certain people can't handle that.
    Can you point to me where I was misinformed or where I stated that Android apps run poorly on tablets. There is a difference between stating it is a poor user experience because they are not taking advantage of extra real estate on the screen. There are some apps like the Android version of CNN Tablet Version that offers an extra sidebar and a couple other features because of that real estate. CNN is a different experience on the phone and it was designed with the smaller screen in size. Even with these higher resolution phones it still doesn't change the fact that these larger screens give more options and real estate to play with.

I know you have a Nexus 10. If you don't have it already use the CNN application on both your phone and tablet. Tell me if that extra sidebar designed that way is more convenient than scrolling the top bar left to right phone app because of the advantage of having that larger screen size.

You might even wish more apps took the time to do this.

And that is what I meant by better user experience.

Also Google has come out and stated that Android needs a better tablet experience and they are going to push that. People tend to forget that the first real tablet OS for Android was Honeycomb. That was one of the issues with the earlier versions of Android and why OEMS modified them so heavily to get rid of features like the dialer.

You can also say I am wrong and Android doesn't needed it but the most important people(Google) involved with Android state they feel it is needed.
    You can argue with me part of what I am saying is only repeating what they are saying themselves. They are trying to release better developer tools and an Tablet section of the app store to encourage this.

My point was the reason why there are more tablet optimized apps is because Apple demanded it from the beginning. Take that however you want, it still is the case.

Another thing remember some of my posts comes from a developers point of view, what I was putting out there is exactly how the process works with both Apple and Google.
    There is no gray lines or in betweens on this, this is more a matter of fact.

The question is not do tablet apps make a better experience but should they be needed. I have heard it said over and over again. And the simple answer is NO it isn't needed. I will give you two examples I used on a daily basis.

First is the exact app you mentioned. Swiftkey tablet edition. I bought the tablet version because it was written in a way that works well on tablets. What many don't know is that it will also work great on HD Phones. I use it as my primary keyboard on my Galaxy Note 1. Yep, that is right 1.5 year old phone with a 1280x800 display.

The Second example I use regularly is Splashtop. I own both of the gen 1 apps and have used Splashtop 2. The reason I own both of the gen1 apps is because when they were originally created they didn't setup the app to scale some of the control features based on screen size, and therefore pushed that to get the best experience possible you needed to use different apps. Ironically Splashtop 2 which is there premier product now works great on both devices.

The idea that you have to have a separate phone and tablet app is completely ridiculous, and needs to stop being pushed. It is wrong. If anything it lets developers just be sloppy. They need to write there app correctly in the first place for both of them.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
    Devlyn16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post

The idea that you have to have a separate phone and tablet app is completely ridiculous, and needs to stop being pushed. It is wrong. If anything it lets developers just be sloppy. They need to write there app correctly in the first place for both of them.
    In most cases this is not about being lazy.

A team of 15 developers working 1 year on an application plus overhead plus other expenses, how much does that cost? Would say 2 million in that year is unreasonable?

Now you want to add additional resources and time to create an optimized universal application that works well both on Tablets and Phones. Then you have release date delays because you are still working on finishing up optimization or a bug was missed in the code somewhere and it is breaking.

More costs are sunk in and in order to get things done on time you have to invest another couple developers.

Server costs to host certain data or exchange certain information.

This is about time, money, and funding.

Did you know Splashtop (using this as an example since you mention them) started with 10 million dollars in funding?

When the smaller one/two man show is starting out, they want to get their app as soon as possible and taking the time to develop a universal experience for both phones and tablets make not be financially possible.

You want to get your foot into the door first and the idea of releasing a tablet version afterwards is more about getting some additional revenue stream to grow and release other products is part of this.

This might not have been needed as much if the app stores had a higher threshold of starting costs like 4.99 than the 99 cent one. This is why freemium games have become so popular to be develop.

First of all you need to separate UI Design from application code. These UI design elements should be completely independent of how the app works. Second no one is saying they couldn't release an app for one platform and then update to support the other. As a matter of fact I would even support they do so if they are in a financial position to need to do so.

But with that said I would seriously have a problem believing anyone that says it is better to do something halfway and not look at the whole picture just to get something out the door. I can very well understand Splashtop having two separate platforms back with there gen1 app was released. At the time it was released the only android tab out was the Xoom and that is why I bought Splasthop HD. But that is now years ago, tablets are not new on the scene now, and the android platform has evolved allot since Honeycomb.

If wouldn't believe anyone that says it is better to maintain 2 support paths over one, or would I really want to support an app that promotes that route simply for monetization.

In the current status of Android (and really what it has been for some time) there is no reason that someone writing a app couldn't design a good UI for both tablets and phones into there app as long as they thought about it from the beginning. One design path, one maintenance path, one application.

With all that said though, you really didn't state anything that says we need tablet specific apps. If anything the only thing I saw was you were advocating for it so developers can charge for their app twice.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

It's not pathetic. It is actually really loud

I don't know if apple changed the speaker on the ipad4, but I have the iPad 3 and the speaker is crap. Apple should be embarrassed by it and offer some money back or a trade in. I have to use a post it and bend it around the front to get the sound to the front of the device. And even then, it's not very loud. Makes watching movies or tv shows hard when they aren't talking loud.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by velvetelvis View Post
    I don't know if apple changed the speaker on the ipad4, but I have the iPad 3 and the speaker is crap. Apple should be embarrassed by it and offer some money back or a trade in. I have to use a post it and bend it around the front to get the sound to the front of the device. And even then, it's not very loud. Makes watching movies or tv shows hard when they aren't talking loud.
    That's odd. must be defective they are certainly loud

Banned

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by velvetelvis View Post
    Although surprisingly the iPad mini has stereo speakers and is loader slightly

First of all you need to separate UI Design from application code. These UI design elements should be completely independent of how the app works. Second no one is saying they couldn't release an app for one platform and then update to support the other. As a matter of fact I would even support they do so if they are in a financial position to need to do so.

The UI elements can be dependent or independent of the code but that is determine by the nature of the app itself. Also sometimes tablet apps have added features to take advantage of screen space so additional coding is required. Games need additional assets and artwork for higher resolution scenarios and adjustments to screen sizes. Either way this does take extra time and resources to do so. Also right now if you want to support Gingerbread versus newer devices, you have to approach screen sizing in two different formats.

But with that said I would seriously have a problem believing anyone that says it is better to do something halfway and not look at the whole picture just to get something out the door.

It all comes down to time and money. If you really think it works the way you hope it would, why do many apps make their initial entry in the Apple App store before the Android Market. Shouldn't they plan an initial release on all platforms. Some do, not all of them. It all comes down to budget and what depending on the situation, what their investors told them to do.

I can very well understand Splashtop having two separate platforms back with there gen1 app was released. At the time it was released the only android tab out was the Xoom and that is why I bought Splasthop HD. But that is now years ago, tablets are not new on the scene now, and the android platform has evolved allot since Honeycomb.

Platform is alot better, my point was that Splashtop started out with 10 million dollars in funding. That gives them a development advantage others may not of have. If they didn't have that funding or less funding maybe they would have delayed their entry into the Android market.

If wouldn't believe anyone that says it is better to maintain 2 support paths over one, or would I really want to support an app that promotes that route simply for monetization.
    In the current status of Android (and really what it has been for some time) there is no reason that someone writing a app couldn't design a good UI for both tablets and phones into there app as long as they thought about it from the beginning. One design path, one maintenance path, one application.

Most of these people are supporting multiple paths already by having their apps on multiple markets. The question is what is the fastest easiest point of entry for success.

With all that said though, you really didn't state anything that says we need tablet specific apps. If anything the only thing I saw was you were advocating for it so developers can charge for their app twice.

No my point is because of the low price selling of the marketplace, they use this as a means to gain additional funds. If apps were selling at a higher price range, maybe this wouldn't be the case. Also for certain apps that have specific functions it is harder to have buy in purchases. Freemiun games are different. Candy Crush makes around 600k from the Apple App store alone from in app purchases daily.
    Answers in bold.

Of the over 100 apps on my N7, none are scaled up or grainy. In comparison, half of the 40 apps on my father's iPad are scaled up, grainy, and are locked in a certain position so I can't even use the smart cover while using the app.
    Scaling up is only part of the difference between a phone and a tablet app. Another, even more important difference is whether the developer writes a version that uses the extra screen space to provide additional features and thus a richer user experience.

The question is not do tablet apps make a better experience but should they be needed. I have heard it said over and over again. And the simple answer is NO it isn't needed.

Again, this isn't about writing correctly. It's about taking advantage of the extra screen space to provide a richer user experience. One example is video conferencing apps. On the phone versions, you're often limited to just the video from the other participant(s). On the better tablet versions, the extra screen space is used to provide document collaboration.

Savvy developers know how to use the extra screen space to differentiate their apps through a superior UX and justify any price premium.

So you're only here to cause trouble, right?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    Scaling up is only part of the difference between a phone and a tablet app. Another, even more important difference is whether the developer writes a version that uses the extra screen space to provide additional features and thus a richer user experience.
    Except the vast majority of phone apps on Android are built to make use of the extra screen space on tablets.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts

Except the vast majority of phone apps on Android are built to make use of the extra screen space on tablets.

No they are not

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

No they are not

You can keep saying that, but I have real proof on the very device I'm typing this on.

neonworm likes this.

You can keep saying that, but I have real proof on the very device I'm typing this on.
    So post a few side-by-side screenshots that show tablets apps with UI features (e.g., buttons, feeds) that the phone versions don't include.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    So post a few side-by-side screenshots that show tablets apps with UI features (e.g., buttons, feeds) that the phone versions don't include.
    I never said tablet versions have extra features. Why shouldn't they have the features on phones? That would be a form of fragmentation. On Android, the apps on phones have equal functionality, as it should be. All I said is that, unlike on iOS, the apps don't scale proportionally to tablets; they actually make use of the extra space by scaling some elements and keeping other elements the same.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts

I never said tablet versions have extra features. Why shouldn't they have the features on phones? That would be a form of fragmentation. On Android, the apps on phones have equal functionality, as it should be. All I said is that, unlike on iOS, the apps don't scale proportionally to tablets; they actually make use of the extra space by scaling some elements and keeping other elements the same.

The problem you fail to grasp is that tablets have a larger screen and therefore should have more features the the phone version.

It's not good UI/UX design to waste the extra space by not providing additional features.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

The problem you fail to grasp is that tablets have a larger screen and therefore should have more features the the phone version.

Not if the phone version already has all needed features.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast