Compelling reason(s) to choose Nexus 10 over iPad 4?

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have now spent the last week searching, researching and reading more reviews and articles I can count trying to make a decision. My wife has decided to purchase a tablet for me for Father's day and has asked me which one I want, the iPad 4 or the Nexus 10. She has an iPad 3 and I really like it's format and screen. My dilemma comes from basically too much information...so many good points about both tablets and some bad points as well, that it makes it impossible to choose. Thus the question here. I figure you people will know best...

I currently use an HTC One for my phone so I have some good familiarity with the Android OS. My previous phone was an iPhone 4S so I am also familiar with iOS.

My use of either tablet will be primarily web browsing, reading ebooks with the Kindle app, some gaming, and also some video. I would really like to stream video from my home network server.

Some good points for the iPad:

1. Better battery life and faster charging.
2. More accessories available.
3. Less issues with component quality. (Light bleeding, random reboots/freezing.)
4. Gaming performance is better.
5. Build/design quality is superb.

Some good points with the Nexus 10:

1. 10.05 inch 16:9 display is better for video.
2. Higher resolution display.
3. Faster CPU, more memory for the OS.
4. Ability to use OTG and a thumb drive to increase storage.
5. USB charging.
6. HDMI output.
7. Non-tablet apps scale well with Android OS.

Negatives of the iPad:

1. Cost, although my wife is willing to spend the money.
2. Video will have the black bars to make it fit the display.
3. No OTG as best I can tell.
4. Weight.

Negatives of the Nexus 10:
1. Reports of light bleeding and/or freezing/random rebooting.
2. Slow battery charging.
3. Portrait view reported to be not so good as Google intended it to be used in landscape view.
4. Very few accessories available.

I haven't found anything definitive that says I cannot access and view video from my PC on either iPad or Nexus so I am not sure if that is easily done.

Thank you all for your detailed reasoning, and please, no flaming. I am sincere in this quest and am not a fan-boy of either OS. I just want the best.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you asking inasmuch as you seem to have pretty much adequately identified the pros and cons of both. It's going to come down to what you want, not what we tell you that you want or should get.

My wife has an iPad 3, but I wanted an Android tab. There's a lot more opportunity for flexibility and customization, as you likely know. Plus I already was invested in Android apps on my Note 2, which may be a consideration for you already having a One.

I have had no rebooting issues on my N10, although I do have moderate light bleed. This doesn't bother me much, though. I've had no problem with accessories -- I have two, the Moko genuine leather case and the Google book cover. I recommend both.

The iPad display is a bit oversaturated color-wise for my taste. The N10 has a more natural look color-wise.

I have Plex installed on my PC and use the Plex app for streaming video to my N10 from the PC. Works flawlessly.

I also use the N10 in portrait mode all of the time. It works fine for books and magazines, and I do not find it odd in the least.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am going to totally agree with JasW on plex. I have it on my WHS 2011 Server and it works great. It manages a large library of video, audio, and non protected TV shows for remote streaming. I will say it works with pretty much any mobile platform though so that doesn't push you in either direction.

As far as the expandable storage I would also point out there are options like the Seagate GoFlex Sattelite drives that provide additional storage wirelessly to either tablet as well.

You do seem to have it pretty well figured out.

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 10 about 4 months and 5 days ago I was recently gifted an ipad with retina display. I have no allegiance to either product. Here are my thoughts. I am not tech savvy and I don't speak the lingo so in layman's terms.

The Nexus 10 is lighter. It downloads apps faster. Loads Web pages much quicker. The external speakers are better. Some of the same apps are cheaper on Google play. The touch screen on the nexus is much more sensitive and responsive. I did have random reboots on my Nexus, but an update has taken care of that and it's been operating flawlessly since.

So far after 5 days I've found that the ipad has better image quality. The battery life is phenomenal with super fast charging and yes you can find more accessories for an ipad.

Still exploring, but I think everything in life has it's pro's and cons, so it's going to boil down to personal preference. Good luck.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I like playing video on the N10 via "Media house" using any player like "bsplayer" if it is from my Lan. Very fast. If you just want a video on your tv a cable plugs in. Don't know of anything that justifies the price difference to an Ipad, about $100.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Better screen, specs, and no need for tablet optimized apps on the Nexus 10.

Better battery life on the iPad 4 and that's about it. Unless you naturally prefer Apple stuff.

Posted via Android Central App

mr_fro2000

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
well you are on a nexus 10 board, so u know what the responses are going to be. I absolutely love it. 2 pluses i kind of took for granted when i was looking into getting one are 1) loud front facing speakers and 2) the rubbery feeling back.

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
well you are on a nexus 10 board, so u know what the responses are going to be. I absolutely love it. 2 pluses i kind of took for granted when i was looking into getting one are 1) loud front facing speakers and 2) the rubbery feeling back.

Don't forget to emphasize speakers as plural! The single speaker behind the iPad is just pathetic.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've posted this elsewhere but if I could so it all over again I wouldn't get a Nexus 10. I'm an android fan but the Nexus 10 has been horrible. I've RMA'd once and I'm on the process of RMAing again.

Each Nexus 10 has crashed all the time. It plays HDMI videos but is choppy and can crash the tablet. There's also considerable lag when connected via HDMI.

Unless you are a dedicated Android fan I would get the iPad. The iPad just works.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Since you currently own an Android phone, I think that'd tip the scale in the Nexus 10's favor. In addition to all the regular Android goodies, you get a tablet that has better compatibility with your phone. That's a HUGE factor.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've posted this elsewhere but if I could so it all over again I wouldn't get a Nexus 10. I'm an android fan but the Nexus 10 has been horrible. I've RMA'd once and I'm on the process of RMAing again.

Each Nexus 10 has crashed all the time. It plays HDMI videos but is choppy and can crash the tablet. There's also considerable lag when connected via HDMI.

Unless you are a dedicated Android fan I would get the iPad. The iPad just works.

You've had bad luck apparently. (Or else I and numerous others have had good luck.) I've never had crashing or rebooting problems. Also, while I personally don't use the HDMI output, I suspect the issues you've had there are related to your other issues. Also, the Lightning Digital AV Adapter that Apple sells (for $50!) is not exactly problem free.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Some of us want a device that does more than "just works", especially when we're paying hundreds of dollars. Bad luck with your N10 though, I've also had no issues with mine.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got an iPad 1 and a Nexus 4, but I'm considering getting a Nexus 10. Many iOS developers now offer iPad versions of their apps, which is nice not just because of the better look versus a blown-up iPhone app, but also because there are often additional features and a better user experience. Do Android devs do the same thing with their apps?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got an iPad 1 and a Nexus 4, but I'm considering getting a Nexus 10. Many iOS developers now offer iPad versions of their apps, which is nice not just because of the better look versus a blown-up iPhone app, but also because there are often additional features and a better user experience. Do Android devs do the same thing with their apps?

Not usually. Android doesn't need tablet-optimized apps, the apps work just as well on a tablet as they do on a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Not usually. Android doesn't need tablet-optimized apps, the apps work just as well on a tablet as they do on a phone.

I'm surprised to hear that. For example, a videoconferencing and collaboration app on a tablet -- iOS or Android -- can have a riches UI and UX because the extra space means users can watch the speaking participant's video while viewing the document, whereas on a phone, you'd see only the doc.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased the N10 yesterday after I sold my Xoom while it still had some value. It's going back today. No complaints about performance or app behavior. Just that the thing was way awkward to hold and operate due to it's dimensions. Kind of odd since I didn't feel the same about The Xoom. Probably because the bezel was thinner which made it feel smaller. I also own an iPad and N7 but my iPad3 is a storage pig with all it's retina apps and games that have pushed the 32 gig storage to its limit. Though I hate the Apple OS as it is basically just an app launcher with pages of icons.....I call it prehistoric, the thing just feels right in the hand and is great for reading. 16x10 plus generous bezel space is real problematic in my view. Too bad because I like everything else about the tablet especially JB.

Sent by my hookah via hash cloud.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Not true. For example, I have a Spider Solitaire game on my phone that I have always liked so I downloaded it to my Nexus 10. The cards are so tiny it is almost unplayable. Uninstalled it and found one that looks good on the tablet. The app has not been updated since 12/11.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Not true. For example, I have a Spider Solitaire game on my phone that I have always liked so I downloaded it to my Nexus 10. The cards are so tiny it is almost unplayable. Uninstalled it and found one that looks good on the tablet. The app has not been updated since 12/11.

There are always exceptions. Of course, if an app hadn't been updated since 12/11 (I'm assuming that's Dec of 2011?) then it's obviously not getting dev support at this point anyway...

Despite that, I do believe that in general "phone" apps for the most part do work just fine on Android tablets.

To the OP, I'd honestly go with personal preference at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463