Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    Right. When the developer believes that it can provide tablet users with a better UX by adding features that aren't practical on a phone screen, it will do so. That's the tablet-specific version of its app.
    Right, but the point was that with Android you don't need a *separate* app for tablets and phones...if coded correctly, the same app can that runs on your phone can provide additional content when viewed on a larger tablet screen. (I'm not a developer nor do I have the knowledge to defend this statement as fact, I'm just clarifying the point made above). A lot of app devs do create specific tablet apps in order to go above and beyond what they can do with the traditional phone app, and I image that others do this simply to get users to buy separate apps for each platform...then of course you have the "crappy" apps that don't scale well to tablets at all...but for the most part, the more popular well known apps do great on Android tablets.

    To the OP, I have ZERO regrets about my purchase, but then again, all of my other current devices are Android and it's the platform I prefer. I'm sure there are great apps the iPad has that Andoid doesn't (and vice versa), but the Nexus 10 does everything I need it to do and I've been quite happy with it. It's hard to say what platform will be the better choice from one person to the next, because different people have different needs and expectations. I don't think most of the people here would fault anyone for choosing an iPad over a Nexus 10, but obviously this is an Android forum, so the folks here are mainly going to inclined to use (and sometimes irrationally defend) those products. I imagine if you went over to the iMore forums, you'd get a very different set of responses.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    I can't seem to recall [as I dont have an iPhone and iPad] , when you buy an app from iTunes/Apple app store is it purchased by device or account?

    What I mean is, For example, this weekend I bought minecraft pocket edition for my tablet. Because the purchase is linked to my google account I son
    t have to buy it again for my current phone, or for that matter my next phones. If I decide to buy a nexus 7 or galaxy note I dont have to buy it for those devices either. Is apple's store like this or is it buy one for the table, buy again for the phone, buy a third for the mini-tablet?
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  3. #28  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    I can't seem to recall [as I dont have an iPhone and iPad] , when you buy an app from iTunes/Apple app store is it purchased by device or account?

    What I mean is, For example, this weekend I bought minecraft pocket edition for my tablet. Because the purchase is linked to my google account I son
    t have to buy it again for my current phone, or for that matter my next phones. If I decide to buy a nexus 7 or galaxy note I dont have to buy it for those devices either. Is apple's store like this or is it buy one for the table, buy again for the phone, buy a third for the mini-tablet?
    It's the same with an iTunes account. Once you buy an app/audio/video/book, etc, you can download and install it on all your devices when you use that same iTunes account, at no additional cost.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    It's the same with an iTunes account. Once you buy an app/audio/video/book, etc, you can download and install it on all your devices when you use that same iTunes account, at no additional cost.
    Thanks. I've also often wonderd if the reason Google didn't follow Apple's "Tablet only App path" was to try and reduce the ammount of times a consumer woul dhave to buy the same app.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  5. #30  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    A lot of iOS app devs offer "Universal" apps.

    http://readwrite.com/2010/04/02/what..._do_you_use_it
  6. #31  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,355 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    "The only problem with this configuration is that it does require that you actually sync your iPad to your computer. Yes, you need to hook up your new tablet computer - you know, the one designed to replace your notebook or netbook - to your computer. That's the only way to make the universal app available to your other mobile devices via your iTunes library. "

    Blech!
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  7. #32  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    "The only problem with this configuration is that it does require that you actually sync your iPad to your computer. Yes, you need to hook up your new tablet computer - you know, the one designed to replace your notebook or netbook - to your computer. That's the only way to make the universal app available to your other mobile devices via your iTunes library. "

    Blech!
    That statement tells me that this article is fairly old because that method is not required any longer AFAIK.
  8. #33  
    Chetan Takyar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    "The only problem with this configuration is that it does require that you actually sync your iPad to your computer. Yes, you need to hook up your new tablet computer - you know, the one designed to replace your notebook or netbook - to your computer. That's the only way to make the universal app available to your other mobile devices via your iTunes library. "

    Blech!
    No you don't need iTunes. Believe me you don't.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #34  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    IMO this should be standard. All apps should be universal [within their eco system] . I shouldnt have to buy 1 app for my tablet, another for my phone etc. Why not just have 1 app that I buy and it works on my tablet and also works on my phone.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  10. #35  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Why not just have 1 app that I buy and it works on my tablet and also works on my phone.
    Some developers want to be compensated for the additional work necessary to provide tablet users with additional features and a better UX.
  11. #36  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    Some developers want to be compensated for the additional work necessary to provide tablet users with additional features and a better UX.
    Seems to me me if they designed with BOTH in mind from the get go, then they wouldn't need to create 2 seperate apps. One Ring to rule them all! Not one ring to rule the Dwarves and another to rule the Elves, then a bundle of 2 rings that rule the Elves and Dwarves but costs the same as a single ring.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  12. #37  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    IMO this should be standard. All apps should be universal [within their eco system] . I shouldnt have to buy 1 app for my tablet, another for my phone etc. Why not just have 1 app that I buy and it works on my tablet and also works on my phone.
    When you purchase a game such as COD on a game console, do you expect the PC version to be bundled with it at no additional cost?
  13. #38  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    When you purchase a game such as COD on a game console, do you expect the PC version to be bundled with it at no additional cost?
    That depends is the PC running the SAME OS as the game console? A more accurate comparison would be do I expect the program for a desktop PC to run on my Laptop PC? YES! especially when the licence is tied to an account NOT a device.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  14. #39  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Seems to me me if they designed with BOTH in mind from the get go, then they wouldn't need to create 2 seperate apps. One Ring to rule them all! Not one ring to rule the Dwarves and another to rule the Elves, then a bundle of 2 rings that rule the Elves and Dwarves but costs the same as a single ring.
    That strategy might make sense if a developer is convinced that enough of its target market has, or plans to get, a tablet. Only in the past couple of quarters has the installed base of Android tablets really ramped up.

    Or app developers could adopt the strategy of other software developers, which have been charging/licensing by device for years.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    That strategy might make sense if a developer is convinced that enough of its target market has, or plans to get, a tablet. Only in the past couple of quarters has the installed base of Android tablets really ramped up.

    I sort of thought that strategy was the whole idea about HOW android does scalable apps. I will hence forth refer to it as the One ring strategy

    Or app developers could adopt the strategy of other software developers, which have been charging/licensing by device for years.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but one can't do that [charging/licensing by device] in the google play store? isnt that the trade off? google gives a Dev acess the a large potential customer base but in turn the Apps are linked to user accounts not devices.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  16. #41  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,355 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but one can't do that [charging/licensing by device] in the google play store? isnt that the trade off? google gives a Dev acess the a large potential customer base but in turn the Apps are linked to user accounts not devices.
    I am fairly sure a scummy developer CAN do it per device through the dreadful "IAP" concept (In-App-Purchase), which is perfectly allowable in the Google Play environment.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
  17. #42  
    whiteshadow001's Avatar

    Posts
    1,204 Posts
    ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Ive had the Nexus 10 since it came out. I can honestly say that everything thing I've put this tab through, it has handled better than any other tab Ive owned. I have an iPad 4 and even though it does have some cool apps, it still doesnt quite do what I want it to do. The nexus 10 with 4.3 is even better and smoother than when I bought it mainly because I bought chromecast haha. It's going on a year old now, but I still think the Nexus 10 is one of the top tablets out especially for the price I paid for such top tier specs.
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I am fairly sure a scummy developer CAN do it per device through the dreadful "IAP" concept (In-App-Purchase), which is perfectly allowable in the Google Play environment.
    Can you imagine that concept applied to another field?? Like a television? Sony gives you a box for free but you must pay $400 to open it. Once you do you can only use it at the address you opened it at. If you move to another location, too bad!
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  19. #44  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,355 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Can you imagine that concept applied to another field?? Like a television? Sony gives you a box for free but you must pay $400 to open it. Once you do you can only use it at the address you opened it at. If you move to another location, too bad!
    But this is already happening. Product after product is now being designed as a "service", trying to guarantee the seller a continuous stream of income for no reason. Want one of a zillion examples? How about the Zeno which is a acne fighting device. It is nothing but a temperature controlled "heater." Instead of paying once for this device, they design it with a replaceable tip that has a chip it in that will allow only X number of uses and then you have to buy another one. It is 100% artificial. The tip never actually wears out. SCUMMY.

    Try to buy a decent alarm system that can just call your own phone or pager without a service.
    Buy a GPS and have it HARD CODED to nag you every 4th time you use it that your map is out of date and to buy an upgrade.
    List goes on and on....
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    I've tried friends iPads and I have to say I wouldn't trade my Nexus 10. I've never had a problem with mine and it does everything I need. I like the fact that I'm not locked into Apples way of doing things, like being able to install flash player, etc etc. I'm not overly enthused about Microsoft's tablets either. When a new Nexus 10 comes out I will definitely be giving it a hard look.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    I moved from a tired Gen1 Ipad to a Nexus 10 around 8 months ago. At first I had challenges getting use to the N10, but once I got use to it there was no turning back.

    The small challenges I have faced are that some of the television shows I purchased from Itunes are not available on Goggle Play (smithsonian channel stuff). Just now I am listening to a book via the Audible app (latest version of Android - 4.3 installed) and there are three persistent notifications in the notification bar due to issues between the app and the new version of software.

    However, when my non-geek wife was looking for a pad, I pointed her to an Ipad Mini. For her the simplicity / walled garden of the Ipad was the best choice. For me it would have been like going back to jail. If she has a problem with the Ipad she can walk into the Apple store, something that the Google brand does not offer.

    IMO the "best device" is different from person to person. If you want simple with support and few choices - go with an Ipad. If you want more control and a thousand ways to customize your experience - go with an Android device.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    I have had my N10 for a few months and the only, and fairly serious problem is the poor microphone. I use Skype a lot and it is so bad I use my laptop instead of the N10 whenever possible. This appears to be a common problem, particularly among Hangout users, so I am hopeful it will be fixed eventually. I tend to think the iPad is a somewhat superior tablet but I do not want to put up with the Apple ecosystem. I love the abilty to plug the N10 into my laptop and drag and drop files etc. Not being a gamer, Apps are not an issue. All those that I need are available and I get the impression that there are more free ones. The battery life is a bit less than I expected but not a game changer. I would advise anyone without my needs and preferences to buy an iPad.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Quote Originally Posted by terrysnexus View Post
    I have had my N10 for a few months and the only, and fairly serious problem is the poor microphone. I use Skype a lot and it is so bad I use my laptop instead of the N10 whenever possible. This appears to be a common problem, particularly among Hangout users, so I am hopeful it will be fixed eventually. I tend to think the iPad is a somewhat superior tablet but I do not want to put up with the Apple ecosystem. I love the abilty to plug the N10 into my laptop and drag and drop files etc. Not being a gamer, Apps are not an issue. All those that I need are available and I get the impression that there are more free ones. The battery life is a bit less than I expected but not a game changer. I would advise anyone without my needs and preferences to buy an iPad.
    Do you have your N10 in a case? I seem to recall a couple of User's posted that their cases were responsible for the problem with the microphone.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  24. #49  

    Default Re: The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surfac

    Yes my Nexus is in a cover but the microphone holes seem to be clear. In the meantime I have just done a factory reset blocking the reload of backed up apps and settings and the microphone is working quite well. I'll now slowly reintroduce apps and settings and try to pick up where the problem recommences. Fingers crossed this will work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Does the new Nexus 7 have Vibration?
    By zachavm in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 05:31 PM
  2. How-to -- Flash the 4.3 factory images to your Nexus
    By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum Nexus 4 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM
  3. How to get free hot spot for Tmobile Galaxy s4 m919?
    By ncreptile in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 12:00 AM
  5. Link for Breakfast Event?
    By zachavm in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions