The nexus 10 has been out for a while now, would any of you rather have gotten an iPad or surface?

Racso14

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Had the opportunity to play with an iPhone for about a week as my mom visited for that time. I will say that many of the issues I had may have been due to being used to one ecosystem over the other, but I really did actually play with the phone with the intent of finding things I liked with it (with the intent of downloading the android app that would make my phone behave the same way). The reason I am posting this here is because this seems more of an ecosystem comparison as opposed to a tablet comparison. Here is what comes to mind:

-Connecting to WiFi: I will admit that I don't have the most experience with iOS, but it seemed like it took me longer than I would have expected to do this. It just didn't seem as user friendly to do this as I would have expected.

-Siri vs Google: since I absolutely love Google Now, I just had to compare the two. On some basic stuff that I knew what responds I was looking for, but wanted to see how each device tested, it was a split. However I did do one test where Google totally won; I asked for directions to a restaurant where there used to be 2 locations, but one has now closed. Siri wanted to take me to the closer location (but also gave me the option of the second location), which would be fine if it weren't the closed location, whereas Google only gave me the open location's address.

-App Icons: I love the icon drawer on android. Only have the apps you want on the home screens. Perhaps I didn't play with it long enough, but I couldn't figure out how to hide icons on the iPhone, other than putting them all in one folder.

-Widgets: do I need to go into this?

-Home Button: I understand Apple's idea behind the simple one button principle, and I imagine if I used iOS I would be used to it, but I actually prefer the three ?buttons? for Android. I also like how they can move for landscape too.

-Camera: My mom uses her iPhone as her main camera (always around grandchildren, doesn't want to always have to carry phone plus camera since ?moments? happen at any time) and her best pictures were OK at best. She even said our phones (moto RAZR Ms) took better pictures (something the RAZR M got low marks for). Next time I see her I am going to see if I can improve her camera because it is very important.

Now since I want to be fair, here are some things I liked better than Android:

-Battery % Display: This is such a tiny thing that most don't notice it, but I liked being able to have the battery % at the top right. I know Android has widgets and 4.2 has the second menu thing, but I just want to see a number without having to search.

-Build: The iPhone just felt solid. I can't think of an out-of-industry example, but it felt like the industrial version of a normal consumer thing. I don't like how the back has glass (I doubt I would ever buy an android with a glass back), but the rest of it I liked. I will say though, all the side buttons felt very solid and took effort to push (I liked that) but the home button felt completely different. Is this normal? It felt out of place, like someone took parts from one manufacturer for the side buttons, then someone else made the home button.

-Smoothness of the OS: The system worked very well. Actions did what I told them to do, and every flowed very smooth and rarely had lag. I will say though my tablet and phone run just as smooth at times, but in the time I played with the iPhone I did not experience it.

Overall my experience with the iPhone furthered my love for Android. Android does what I want it to do. The whole more apps thing goes over my head (to me it is like a car manufacturer saying ?we have more models than the competition? why do I care how many models you have if I'm just looking for a compact car?) Same with the ?more tablet optimized apps? if the apps I care about and use are optimized or work just fine on a tablet, again with the car thing, why care about the products I don't need?

I think what the whole OS thing comes down to is what you are used to and what you have. If you have an iPhone, get an iPad, if you have an Android phone, and an Android tablet.

The one place I see possibly growing are the Windows tablets. I just see them being easier integrations with PCs which would be good for businesses. I know at my job (like most likely around 95% + of offices) has a ton of PCs. If I had a tablet I could super easily work with just like my PC to take to meetings or presentations, it would be great. I know iPads and Android tablets can, but I imagine it would be easier to integrate a windows device with another windows device (however now that almost everything is be coming cloud based that is more and more becoming a moot point).

TL: DR I love my nexus 10 even after being exposed to iOS.

carloscolon66

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Not for a minute. Especially since I got mine at Sam's Club for $299 for the 32Gb version. Rooted it, installed CM 10.1.1, then went stock with Android 4.3. Completely satisfied with the tablet.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
The API allows the app to be aware of the type of device and adjust the display around accordingly. That can include increasing the resolution, adding sections, putting more text in buttons, moving controls around, anything the developer wants to do. Has nothing to do with Android and everything to do with the developer.

Right. When the developer believes that it can provide tablet users with a better UX by adding features that aren't practical on a phone screen, it will do so. That's the tablet-specific version of its app.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, I meant to refer to the devs when I mentioned a better tablet experience. Maybe it's just the apps I'm using on my N10. They seem to be the same on my S4.

Why does Apple charge so much more money for the same App? BTW, This is what he was saying on scaling many times I just don't care as long as the App works but price is an issue for me since I hated to be ripped off. Check out this line from this story;

After all, why do they need a tablet section when all Android apps scale usually very well between different sizes of screens on phones and tablets? And why risk the ridicule of a small number of apps if they ever create such a section and only few developers submit apps to it?

Weekly Poll: Do You Prefer Tablet-Optimized Apps? | Android.AppStorm

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Why does Apple charge so much more money for the same App? BTW, This is what he was saying on scaling many times I just don't care as long as the App works but price is an issue for me since I hated to be ripped off. Check out this line from this story;

A. Apple does not charge extra the app developers do.
B. You must have really low standards then.

Weekly Poll: Do You Prefer Tablet-Optimized Apps? | Android.AppStorm
A. Apple does not charge extra the app developers do.
B. You must have really low standards then.
C. That's on an Android website of course there is natural bias.

I am much happier with my iPad 4 then Nexus 10. I am happy I got my iPad back.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Right. When the developer believes that it can provide tablet users with a better UX by adding features that aren't practical on a phone screen, it will do so. That's the tablet-specific version of its app.

Right, but the point was that with Android you don't need a *separate* app for tablets and phones...if coded correctly, the same app can that runs on your phone can provide additional content when viewed on a larger tablet screen. (I'm not a developer nor do I have the knowledge to defend this statement as fact, I'm just clarifying the point made above). A lot of app devs do create specific tablet apps in order to go above and beyond what they can do with the traditional phone app, and I image that others do this simply to get users to buy separate apps for each platform...then of course you have the "crappy" apps that don't scale well to tablets at all...but for the most part, the more popular well known apps do great on Android tablets.

To the OP, I have ZERO regrets about my purchase, but then again, all of my other current devices are Android and it's the platform I prefer. I'm sure there are great apps the iPad has that Andoid doesn't (and vice versa), but the Nexus 10 does everything I need it to do and I've been quite happy with it. It's hard to say what platform will be the better choice from one person to the next, because different people have different needs and expectations. I don't think most of the people here would fault anyone for choosing an iPad over a Nexus 10, but obviously this is an Android forum, so the folks here are mainly going to inclined to use (and sometimes irrationally defend) those products. I imagine if you went over to the iMore forums, you'd get a very different set of responses.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to recall [as I dont have an iPhone and iPad] , when you buy an app from iTunes/Apple app store is it purchased by device or account?

What I mean is, For example, this weekend I bought minecraft pocket edition for my tablet. Because the purchase is linked to my google account I son
t have to buy it again for my current phone, or for that matter my next phones. If I decide to buy a nexus 7 or galaxy note I dont have to buy it for those devices either. Is apple's store like this or is it buy one for the table, buy again for the phone, buy a third for the mini-tablet?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to recall [as I dont have an iPhone and iPad] , when you buy an app from iTunes/Apple app store is it purchased by device or account?

What I mean is, For example, this weekend I bought minecraft pocket edition for my tablet. Because the purchase is linked to my google account I son
t have to buy it again for my current phone, or for that matter my next phones. If I decide to buy a nexus 7 or galaxy note I dont have to buy it for those devices either. Is apple's store like this or is it buy one for the table, buy again for the phone, buy a third for the mini-tablet?

It's the same with an iTunes account. Once you buy an app/audio/video/book, etc, you can download and install it on all your devices when you use that same iTunes account, at no additional cost.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It's the same with an iTunes account. Once you buy an app/audio/video/book, etc, you can download and install it on all your devices when you use that same iTunes account, at no additional cost.

Thanks. I've also often wonderd if the reason Google didn't follow Apple's "Tablet only App path" was to try and reduce the ammount of times a consumer woul dhave to buy the same app.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

"The only problem with this configuration is that it does require that you actually sync your iPad to your computer. Yes, you need to hook up your new tablet computer - you know, the one designed to replace your notebook or netbook - to your computer. That's the only way to make the universal app available to your other mobile devices via your iTunes library. "

Blech!

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
"The only problem with this configuration is that it does require that you actually sync your iPad to your computer. Yes, you need to hook up your new tablet computer - you know, the one designed to replace your notebook or netbook - to your computer. That's the only way to make the universal app available to your other mobile devices via your iTunes library. "

Blech!

That statement tells me that this article is fairly old because that method is not required any longer AFAIK.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Blech!

No you don't need iTunes. Believe me you don't.

Posted via Android Central App

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Some developers want to be compensated for the additional work necessary to provide tablet users with additional features and a better UX.

Seems to me me if they designed with BOTH in mind from the get go, then they wouldn't need to create 2 seperate apps. One Ring to rule them all! Not one ring to rule the Dwarves and another to rule the Elves, then a bundle of 2 rings that rule the Elves and Dwarves but costs the same as a single ring.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
IMO this should be standard. All apps should be universal [within their eco system] . I shouldnt have to buy 1 app for my tablet, another for my phone etc. Why not just have 1 app that I buy and it works on my tablet and also works on my phone.

When you purchase a game such as COD on a game console, do you expect the PC version to be bundled with it at no additional cost?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
When you purchase a game such as COD on a game console, do you expect the PC version to be bundled with it at no additional cost?

That depends is the PC running the SAME OS as the game console? A more accurate comparison would be do I expect the program for a desktop PC to run on my Laptop PC? YES! especially when the licence is tied to an account NOT a device.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Seems to me me if they designed with BOTH in mind from the get go, then they wouldn't need to create 2 seperate apps. One Ring to rule them all! Not one ring to rule the Dwarves and another to rule the Elves, then a bundle of 2 rings that rule the Elves and Dwarves but costs the same as a single ring.

That strategy might make sense if a developer is convinced that enough of its target market has, or plans to get, a tablet. Only in the past couple of quarters has the installed base of Android tablets really ramped up.

Or app developers could adopt the strategy of other software developers, which have been charging/licensing by device for years.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That strategy might make sense if a developer is convinced that enough of its target market has, or plans to get, a tablet. Only in the past couple of quarters has the installed base of Android tablets really ramped up.

I sort of thought that strategy was the whole idea about HOW android does scalable apps. I will hence forth refer to it as the One ring strategy ;)

Or app developers could adopt the strategy of other software developers, which have been charging/licensing by device for years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one can't do that [charging/licensing by device] in the google play store? isnt that the trade off? google gives a Dev acess the a large potential customer base but in turn the Apps are linked to user accounts not devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463