Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By xlDeMoNiClx
  • 1 Post By joshwithachance
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default buy now or wait?

hello everyone! i was planning on buying a nexus 10 this summer to use for the upcoming school semester (im a senior in college), but i also heard that google stated that there will be a new nexus 10 coming soon. id guess that this time would be around october or november. i was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the nexus 10 right now or wait till the newer model comes out?

Default Re: buy now or wait?

Where did you hear that there is going to be a new N10?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

It is all over today. Even on AC. Not much to improve upon really. I love the N10 and to wait and pay more for a quad core instead of a dual core is not much reason. Screen is great. Plenty of space on it available. I would pick one up so you are prepared for your last year in college instead waiting and 'maybe' it will come out in Nov.

If I were you I'd wait and see what the new N10 is gonna be like then decide later, preferably after it's released and the reviews start coming out.
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Depends on how badly you need it! Google seems to have settled into a nice schedule right now, with the N7 releases happening in summertime, then the N4 and N10 releases coming out in time for Christmas shopping season.

I don't think it would be bad idea to grab an N10 now...of course you could wait, but no one knows exactly when the next N10 will be available or if there will be production issues that delay it or anything like that. It's always a tough decision when you're right in the middle between model releases.

Quote Originally Posted by rnr1224 View Post
    hello everyone! i was planning on buying a nexus 10 this summer to use for the upcoming school semester (im a senior in college), but i also heard that google stated that there will be a new nexus 10 coming soon. id guess that this time would be around october or november. i was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the nexus 10 right now or wait till the newer model comes out?
    Ok wait Google didnt say its coming soon. they said they are working on it and will come on the near future. Samsung said to make the next Nexus 10, coming in 'the near future' | Android Central

typically any company start working on their product for at least 6 months before the release. the next nexus 10 will only be released in Dec/Nov with KLP

I am in the same boat. I went to Staples today to buy the Nexus 10 and the guy working there recommanded me to wait since there will be a new version coming in 3 weeks.

not quite sure if it is a trustable reference...

Well, you could buy now and be enjoying it now or constantly waiting for the next big thing. If you're a tech geek and want bragging rights about specs, then wait. But if someone who wants the device to actually use and enjoy I see nothing wrong with the current version. I'm enjoying mine and will probably be enjoying this same one for at least the next couple versions. Does everything I need it to do, browse, email, videos, games, books and magazines, and does it well.
    Just my .02

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and it's quite slow and laggy. I want something faster. I'm going to be picking up a Nexus 7 (2013) when the LTE version comes out, but I also like having my 10" tablet around for watching videos and web browsing around the house. I'm given pause because I know the new Nexus 10 will likely be coming in the near future. Do those of you who currently have a Nexus 10 like it and think it has another year of life left in it (performance wise). Any tips will be helpful. They have them in stock right across the street at Walmart and down the road at Staples, so picking one up would be quick and easy. Thanks.
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes "ding!" when there's stuff." - The Doctor

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarball View Post
    I am in the same boat. I went to Staples today to buy the Nexus 10 and the guy working there recommanded me to wait since there will be a new version coming in 3 weeks.

Rule No. 1: Never believe anything a Best Buy, Staples, AT&T Store, or similar employee tells you.

There is no next gen Nexus 10 coming in 3 weeks. It likely won't be out until the end of the year.
    Galaxy Note II SGH-i317 stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)

I was on the fence about buying one also. But couldn't pass up buying a refurbished one for $350 a few weeks ago on eBay. This way your not paying full retail for a device that may be replaced in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by pjniez View Post
    I was on the fence about buying one also. But couldn't pass up buying a refurbished one for $350 a few weeks ago on eBay. This way your not paying full retail for a device that may be replaced in a few months.
    This is the first I've heard of refurbished N10s being sold. How can you tell you got a return and not a used one or worse a lemon?
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    This is the first I've heard of refurbished N10s being sold. How can you tell you got a return and not a used one or worse a lemon?
    I've seen them before on Woot and Amazon Deal if the Day (I think) before I bought this one from eBay. I found out about the deal from one of the Android blog websites I read every day and jumped on it because it was the lowest price that I've seen for the 32 GB model.

The condition was "Manufacturer refurbished: Authorized Samsung Factory Refurbished Unit. In Like New Condition with 90 Day Warranty." The seller had very good ratings and there was an option to by an extended warranty from the Geek Squad PLUS they had a 30 day money back return policy. So I felt fairly comfortable that it would be a good one and that I could return it if not.

The seller's id is geekdeal:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400...OC%3AUS%3A1181

Check them out. I highly recommend them!

This looks like another good deal!
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08...e-us-shipping/

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Beside adding a quad core processor and shrinking the bezel, there's not much that can be done to enhance the N10. It's display is still the highest resolution on the market, it runs Android 4.3, it has more than good enough battery life, it's zippy for the most part, and the cameras aren't even that bad. All that really needs enhancing is the apps themselves, and that has nothing to do with hardware. So I say go for it!
    ccm435 likes this.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

I didn't/couldn't wait and picked one up a few days ago at Walmart. It was the last one in the case and I'm quite happy with it!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    Beside adding a quad core processor and shrinking the bezel, there's not much that can be done
    Shrinking the bezel would probably be something I wouldn't like. I almost always use my iPad while resting on my bed. With the tablet resting on my chest. The wide bezel brings the screen up a bit, away from my chest. The idea that I am going to have hold a tablet up in the air, with both hands, it's bad news. The wide bezel is better, I think.

But a few more hours of battery life, that would be a plus.

Is Google going to be able to insist with Asus that the speakers be on the front, like the one Samsung made ?

It's a tough decision for me, the current one, or wait for the new one ? Everybody seems to adore the current one.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I personally would wait for the new version or save some money now and buy the new Nexus 7. It all depends on what you need and when. Do you think you'll be using your new tablet for more than just school, like gaming perhaps?

The current Nexus 10 is a solid tablet, but it seems to struggle in performance when I crank up settings in games like Riptide GP2 and GTA Vice City.

If you need a tablet just for school I would wait for the new N10 or buy the new N7 because I know the new N7 blows the previous generation out of the water.

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

If I were in school and needed a tablet, I'd probably wait for the Note 12 instead of the next gen Nexus 10, assuming the Note improves, as is rumored that it does, on the Note 10.1's mediocre display. The S Pen would come in crazy handy in school.
    Galaxy Note II SGH-i317 stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)

If the Asus/RAM/CPU rumors are true for the 2nd gen N10, I'd wait. I just got a 1st gen and I love it, but the lightbleed bugs me, and it isn't exactly ultra powerful. If the new one is out this year, I will likely wish I had waited. I'm also quite impressed with the new N7. It packs a punch, for such a small tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by tarball View Post

Well...here we are...3 weeks later (almost), and no new Nexus 10 in sight!

Seriously, I can almost guarantee Google is shooting for mid-November...and I highly doubt it will be much earlier than that. (These are just my educated guesses though)

Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    Beside adding a quad core processor and shrinking the bezel, there's not much that can be done to enhance the N10. It's display is still the highest resolution on the market, it runs Android 4.3, it has more than good enough battery life, it's zippy for the most part, and the cameras aren't even that bad. All that really needs enhancing is the apps themselves, and that has nothing to do with hardware. So I say go for it!
    The problem is as a prospective customer you have to go further than that though...Sure, this next Nexus 10 may not be a *huge* step up, but what about the one after that. Most people spending money on these things expect them to last longer than a year, so even if the current N10 can handle anything you throw at it, will you be able to say the same a year from now? If you were planning on making this a 2-year investment (which I think is a time-frame that makes sense), it is tempting to wait for the next release. This is honestly why I bought my N10 in January this year...because I plan to keep it until around Jan of 2015, which (assuming Google keeps their current schedule) is when the 3rd N10 will come out. At least that's my plan...we'll see what happens.