Miracast on on Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), & Nexus 10

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the 4.3 update now supports the Nexus 10 with Miracast.

Use wireless display on Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), & Nexus 10
Some or all of this information applies only to devices running Android 4.3.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10 are compatible with devices that support the Wi-Fi Certified Miracast? protocol for wireless display. You can mirror the screen and wirelessly stream video and audio to a variety of displays and other devices that support Miracast, even when a standard Wi-Fi network isn?t available. For example, you can use wireless display to show your device?s screen on a TV equipped with a certified Miracast adapter.

For more information, see the documentation that comes with the Miracast-certified device you wish to use with your tablet or phone.

https://support.google.com/nexus/7/answer/2865484?hl=en

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
From Slide 5 of 12 on new Android 4.3 update;

Wireless Streaming to a TV Through Miracast
Any television that supports the Miracast technology will be capable of receiving wireless television transmissions from Android 4.3. That means if a user is watching a television show or movie on a mobile device, she can instantly get it up and running on her HDTV and continue watching it there. Nice.

- See more at: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean's 10 Best New Features for Mobile Users

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
very cool. I dont have a miracast capable tv/device but I will have to get one. Here is hpoing I can find a device that combines Miracast with an HDMI switch, I'd like to get all my gaming devices and Chromecast pumped through a single HDMI port. My AV reciever has two blown HDMI ports [out of 4] so it is either that or get a new AV reciever

tabletmonkey

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'd like to share my experience on this.

I have both a Nexus 4 and Nexus 10, and was a bit dissapointed when I read people saying that it was impossible to miracast from a Nexus 10. However with the new update I see the option is now added.

I was confused by all the options out there, an no definitive "this 100% works" on any miracast devices. Like many others I am amazed that this is not pushed more by google, as airplay seems to be the only thing that IPads can do better.

Anyway, I wanted to test without spending too much so I headed to ebay and bought one of these.
Phone2tv Miracast & DLNA wireless display adapter - HDMI Google Nexus 4 Android | eBay

I got it today and after some head scratching (and not reading the instructions properly!). I am pleased to say it works with both Nexus 10 and Nexus 4.
I am using it with an LG 42" TV (not a SMART TV, it has a USB socket on the side, the dongle plugs into HDMI with a socket to plug in a USB cable)

If anyone is interested I can put some pics up, or perhaps a video.

There is some lag (in milliseconds, nothing huge). I have run netflix, streaming tv (iplayer) and it seems to work without dropping out or blurring. Audio comes through the TV.
I must say, I am quite impressed so far. For a generic dongle, it does exactly what it says. I am just surprised this mysterious tech is not apparently more widely publicized.

Hope this is useful. I know others have been wanting to get this cool feature working.

Miracast IS possible and works fine on the Nexus 10.:)

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Great!!! I need to hear some more about various Miracast devices so I can make a decision on what to get.

The Rocketfish miracast dongle is available a Best Buy for $30 until this weekend.

I tried it, and it has a bit of lag, and movies have a weird stutter in the motion.
It almost works for games like Granny Smith.
I don't think it's worth it for $80, but for $30 ok.

ITManning

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Miracast-enabled Android TV Box (JUSTOP Android 4.0 TV Box HD), but my N10 can't see the remote display (I've enabled wireless display on the N10 and searched for displays but it doesn't show up). The Android/Miracast box seems to have Miracast running fine, and is displaying a Device ID on the Miracast page. They're both on the same wireless network.
Has anyone managed to connect the N10 to a Miracast display?

ITManning

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've managed to get the Miracast receiver to see the N10 as a peer device. I clicked on the N10 in the list and sent an invitation to the N10 to connect. The invitation popped up on the N10 and I accepted it, but then....nothing. The N10 continued to report that there were no nearby wireless displays.
???

litemail

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I am using a new Panasonic BlueRay with Miracast but it won't recognize my Nexus 7 (with 4.3)
as a Miracast device. Trying to find something definitive on this from Google is like pulling teeth.

ITManning

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've since managed to get the Nexus 10 connected with the Miracast receiver as a Wifi-Direct device (both ends show the other end as "connected", but it still doesn't show up as a wireless display.on the N10. I can't help but think that it shouldn't be this difficult...

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I am using a new Panasonic BlueRay with Miracast but it won't recognize my Nexus 7 (with 4.3)
as a Miracast device. Trying to find something definitive on this from Google is like pulling teeth.

I tried the Panasonic BDP-230 BluRay player with Miracast.
It pared up to my 2013 N7 just fine. The only problem is the lag and quality were horrible.
Try using the 5GHz network on both the BD player and the N7.
If you are not using WPA2 only for security on the 2.4GHz for your router, you will not get WiFi n speeds.

I took it back and got a Sony BD player. It's better is several ways, but it doesn't have Miracast.
For that, I got the Rocketfish Miracast receiver for $30 at Best Buy. It works waaay better than the Pan. BD player.
The lag is almost not noticeable and the video quality is smooth.

Not all Miracast receivers are the same! Some work better than others.

CovJohn123

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ok so can someone help? I bought the phone2TV Miracast dongle in order to mirror videos from my Nexus 10 to my TV. Whilst setting all this up was easy there is an audio lag which is very annoying and makes it unwatchable. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Might it just be a temporary glitch? Is this is an issue with Miracast technologies? Should I have purchased the PTV3000? any help would be extremely grateful.

Ali Abolfathi

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 2013 which runs 4.4.2. I bought a Panasonic streaming player DMP-MST60EBS which is using Miracast. For playing any video it has delay in sound and video is not smooth although the video is not bad the sound delay make it useless. I played youtube, iplayer and it is the same for all other videoes. Suprisingly, I installed an ap for my wife ipad that can only show few sources including Youtube through Miracast and thoes are completely fine. So it seems problem is with Nexus 7!!!
Any one has succesfull experience with nexus 7?

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The Miracast on Nexus 5 does not work, at least it will not pair with the same Panasonic device on which my Nexus 7 tablet works just fine. Fix this fast please LG, or give me my money back, because it's the reason that I bought this phone

my Nexus 7 Miracast works fine with a Panasonic Bluray device, however the (newer) Nexus 5 does NOT work

I have a nexus 7 2013 which runs 4.4.2. I bought a Panasonic streaming player DMP-MST60EBS which is using Miracast. For playing any video it has delay in sound and video is not smooth although the video is not bad the sound delay make it useless. I played youtube, iplayer and it is the same for all other videoes. Suprisingly, I installed an ap for my wife ipad that can only show few sources including Youtube through Miracast and thoes are completely fine. So it seems problem is with Nexus 7!!!
Any one has succesfull experience with nexus 7?

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin Schoch

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine works a nexus 7 with the use of the dmp-ms10p-k unit. But fails like yours when I use the galaxy p605 a better tablet?! My nexus 4 fails completely. My nexus 4 sees the dmp-ms10p-k unit, but fails to "connect". Does any one know how to fix these issues. To Adrian above.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01