Nexus 10, 4.3 Root Update Question...

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
OK, so I have a Nexus 10 rooted to 4.2.2. I have 2 questions. First, I do want to root to 4.3, but I don't know if a 4.3 method is out yet. Sorry, I'm rather new to tablets and Android and don't know the correct term. If there is an updated root to 4.3, what is the best and fastest method? When I rooted my 10 to 4.2.2, I used some method that I can't recall where I did it. If I do root to 4.3 and use a different method, will it screw things up?? I believe I installed a custom ROM too. If there is a 4.3 root, do I need to flash the ROM again. I'm guessing that I do.

Secondly, until there is a method posted about 4.3, I obviously want to keep 4.2.2, but Nexus automatically downloaded it today and says I just have to click the icon in the upper left hand corner. How do I make that disappear and keep it from installing 4.3? I don't want to brick my device!!!

Thanks in advance! :-\

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am running 4.3 on my N10 and its rooted. I did it two days ago and it works like a charm.
I am using supersu and it has been updates 3-5 times last week alone to fix issues. So, Yes, it works!!

all you need is the latest supersu zip found here SuperSU Download

after the update flash the supersu zip file via custom recovery.

if you have lost custom recovery make sure to disable stock flash by going to custom recovery and get back out of it(in CWM it ask if you need to disable stock recovery flash)

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
I have updated to 4.3 and then used the method in the link below to recover root on my N4, N7 and N10. SU has updated a number of times since and everything is working just fine.

robe5pierre

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am running 4.3 on my N10 and its rooted. I did it two days ago and it works like a charm.
I am using supersu and it has been updates 3-5 times last week alone to fix issues. So, Yes, it works!!

all you need is the latest supersu zip found here SuperSU Download

after the update flash the supersu zip file via custom recovery.

if you have lost custom recovery make sure to disable stock flash by going to custom recovery and get back out of it(in CWM it ask if you need to disable stock recovery flash)

hi i am not very savvy and trying to re-root my nexus 10 after updating to jb 4.3. i tried downloading the SU file from the link you provided to my mac and entering custom recovery by holding down power and volume buttons while connected to the mac. but now what? is this right so far? does it matter in which way i originally rooted my device? this i don't remember. can you or someone please please provide some simple detailed instructions for people like me? thank you

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It will not install 4.3 unless you let it but I don't think you can get rid of the notice. Just don't upgrade if you don't want to. I recommend Wug's toolkit for rooting, installing ROMs. The Nexus 10 version works great and you can always go back to stock if you want to. You can get it from the XDA-Developers web site. Just pick the Nexus 10 forum.
I'm on a Rootbox ROM on the N10 and don't need version 4.3 right away for anything so I'm going to wait for Rootbox to do a 4.3 before I update.

OK, so I have a Nexus 10 rooted to 4.2.2. I have 2 questions. First, I do want to root to 4.3, but I don't know if a 4.3 method is out yet. Sorry, I'm rather new to tablets and Android and don't know the correct term. If there is an updated root to 4.3, what is the best and fastest method? When I rooted my 10 to 4.2.2, I used some method that I can't recall where I did it. If I do root to 4.3 and use a different method, will it screw things up?? I believe I installed a custom ROM too. If there is a 4.3 root, do I need to flash the ROM again. I'm guessing that I do.

Secondly, until there is a method posted about 4.3, I obviously want to keep 4.2.2, but Nexus automatically downloaded it today and says I just have to click the icon in the upper left hand corner. How do I make that disappear and keep it from installing 4.3? I don't want to brick my device!!!

Thanks in advance! :-\

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
hi i am not very savvy and trying to re-root my nexus 10 after updating to jb 4.3. i tried downloading the SU file from the link you provided to my mac and entering custom recovery by holding down power and volume buttons while connected to the mac. but now what? is this right so far? does it matter in which way i originally rooted my device? this i don't remember. can you or someone please please provide some simple detailed instructions for people like me? thank you
place the file in download folder of the tablet. go to recovery and install from zip-->choose the file from download folder

done. I assume you have custom recovery and you have rooted before.

robe5pierre

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
place the file in download folder of the tablet. go to recovery and install from zip-->choose the file from download folder

I don't recall what I did when originally rooting the device but when I googled instructions for entering recovery mode it says I should hold down power and both volume buttons. Apparently this should lead me to an android lying on his back (which it does) along with a red triangle with an exclamation point (this is not there). I do not see any 'install from zip' option though

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I know this thread is a few days old, but the absolute easiest way to upgrade to 4.3 if you are already rooted (and have unlocked bootloader and custom recovery) is to simply flash a rooted stock image, such as this:

[ROM][Factory Image] 4.3 - Rooted - BusyBox - xda-developers

I was running stock 4.2.2 prior to flashing this, and simply did a dirty flash (wiped cache and dalvik but not factory reset) and it worked fine...but as with any update, a full wipe may be necessary if you have any issues.

Gunjan Sahay

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I am in the same boat [another noob here]...I downloaded the updated su zip on the nexus10 in the downloads folder, powered on the tablet to recovery mode but did not understand how to proceed further. could you give a step a step guide? I think i missed the point about "..install from zip" - not sure how to do this.

I was already rooted with 4.2 [like the originator of this thread] but lost root after Google pushed the 4.3 OTA recently - would really like to be back on root. The bootloader is still unlocked.

Last edited:

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
It will not install 4.3 unless you let it but I don't think you can get rid of the notice. Just don't upgrade if you don't want to. I recommend Wug's toolkit for rooting, installing ROMs. The Nexus 10 version works great and you can always go back to stock if you want to. You can get it from the XDA-Developers web site. Just pick the Nexus 10 forum.
I'm on a Rootbox ROM on the N10 and don't need version 4.3 right away for anything so I'm going to wait for Rootbox to do a 4.3 before I update.

So, would you say that Rootbox is superior to the XDA-Developers? Also, since I used a different method and ROM, can I still install Rootbox? Oh and would you suggest I do a clean install and wipe everything out?

- - - Updated - - -

So, would you say that Rootbox is superior to the XDA-Developers? Also, since I used a different method and ROM, can I still install Rootbox? Oh and would you suggest I do a clean install and wipe everything out?

- - - Updated - - -

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Rootbox is another Rom package that can be used instead of the stock or another Rom. I would always wipe everything when changing A rom.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Rootbox is another Rom package that can be used instead of the stock or another Rom. I would always wipe everything when changing A rom.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Which package would you recommend to root my Nexus 10 to 4.3? I'm not very proficient with Android devices or any mobile devices , but I was able to root mine to 4.2.2 successfully, but I want the easiest and most reliable method available.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Which package would you recommend to root my Nexus 10 to 4.3? I'm not very proficient with Android devices or any mobile devices , but I was able to root mine to 4.2.2 successfully, but I want the easiest and most reliable method available.

So...if I read you correctly, you are currently rooted and running 4.2.2, correct? If that's the case, I stand by the post I made above, which would be to simply flash rooted stock ROM for the easiest way to upgrade.

I know this thread is a few days old, but the absolute easiest way to upgrade to 4.3 if you are already rooted (and have unlocked bootloader and custom recovery) is to simply flash a rooted stock image, such as this:

[ROM][Factory Image] 4.3 - Rooted - BusyBox - xda-developers

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
So...if I read you correctly, you are currently rooted and running 4.2.2, correct? If that's the case, I stand by the post I made above, which would be to simply flash rooted stock ROM for the easiest way to upgrade.

Ok, so you recommend the one from XDA Developers? Is it easy to do? I believe the ROM I flashed was from TWRP or something like that, but I don't remember how I did it. I remember connecting my Nexus to the PC and copying the drivers and then running some code, but I don't remember what the code was specifically. I just don't want to brick my tablet. I've got a message to upgrade to 4.3, but wouldn't that mess things up since I have another ROM on here. I'm looking for detailed instructions on a how to, to walk me through step by step.

OK, I believe I found the page where I rooted mine. Of course it said to ROOT to 4.2.2. at the time and now it's 4.3, but I want to make sure this is right and that it works. Thanks! HOWTO: Flash Android 4.3 on your Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, and Galaxy Nexus - Android Authority

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so you recommend the one from XDA Developers? Is it easy to do? I believe the ROM I flashed was from TWRP or something like that, but I don't remember how I did it. I remember connecting my Nexus to the PC and copying the drivers and then running some code, but I don't remember what the code was specifically. I just don't want to brick my tablet. I've got a message to upgrade to 4.3, but wouldn't that mess things up since I have another ROM on here. I'm looking for detailed instructions on a how to, to walk me through step by step.

OK, I believe I found the page where I rooted mine. Of course it said to ROOT to 4.2.2. at the time and now it's 4.3, but I want to make sure this is right and that it works. Thanks! HOWTO: Flash Android 4.3 on your Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, and Galaxy Nexus - Android Authority

With this method, you just need to download the ROM to your tablet and flash in recovery. Again, if coming from a stock 4.2.2 ROM, you should be able to do a "dirty" flash, meaning you don't have to factory reset first, but you should always wipe cache and dalvik before flashing any ROMs. I'd also highly recommend making a backup first if you have sufficient storage space available.

I apologize I don't have time to write out step-by-step instructions on how to do this, but there are a ton of tutorials out there on how to flash ROMs.

You could always just run the OTA update if this seems to complicated, however you will lose root in the process, and may end up having to factory reset your tablet.

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
With this method, you just need to download the ROM to your tablet and flash in recovery. Again, if coming from a stock 4.2.2 ROM, you should be able to do a "dirty" flash, meaning you don't have to factory reset first, but you should always wipe cache and dalvik before flashing any ROMs. I'd also highly recommend making a backup first if you have sufficient storage space available.

I apologize I don't have time to write out step-by-step instructions on how to do this, but there are a ton of tutorials out there on how to flash ROMs.

You could always just run the OTA update if this seems to complicated, however you will lose root in the process, and may end up having to factory reset your tablet.

Well, I definitely want a rooted 4.3, not just an update. I don't know, 4.3 doesn't seem to do a lot for me. Thanks for the info. I found a site with detailed instructions, so if I go to do it, I'll do it from there, but thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad