firefox freeze

giantsfanaz

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I installed the android update on my nexus 10 earlier this week. Now Firefox freezes up every time I try to use it. Chrome works fine.

I prefer Firefox. Any ideas why this happens,and how to correct this? I have not tried to uninstall/reinstall the program.

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I installed the android update on my nexus 10 earlier this week. Now Firefox freezes up every time I try to use it. Chrome works fine.

I prefer Firefox. Any ideas why this happens,and how to correct this? I have not tried to uninstall/reinstall the program.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!
Have you tried to go into Settings>Apps and clearing the cache on the app? Might be better than reinstalling.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I discussed this in the 4.3 thread, although that's so long I'm sure it's buried. Reboots, clearing caches, and reinstalls won't fix it. It's a known problem and they're getting a developer to work on it. The fix for now is to download and use Firefox's super beta, Nightly (Firefox Nightly Builds). It clears up the whole problem. The one downside is that you are using a super beta -- one that a developer has just that day added code to. That can cause the odd problem -- hello, sudden crash and reboot! -- but I'd still rather deal with that than have to use Chrome.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you have to wait until mozilla update firefox. use chrome!!! thats good thing about chrome google will test chrome for latest Android and the fixes are immediate

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
you have to wait until mozilla update firefox. use chrome!!! thats good thing about chrome google will test chrome for latest Android and the fixes are immediate

Yeah, well, people are funny. They tend to have their own preferences. I prefer Firefox, and it works with 4.3 if you don't mind running the super beta. I hung on to Netscape as long as possible, too.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, well, people are funny. They tend to have their own preferences. I prefer Firefox, and it works with 4.3 if you don't mind running the super beta. I hung on to Netscape as long as possible, too.

I understand preference!!! I use to use IE and started using chrome because i have that choice

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am also having problems with Firefox after 4.3. Hope it is fixed soon because I can't find a way to clear ONLY the Android app association/preference for html... all I can find is to clear all app preferences. My other option would be to remove Firefox temporarily, and then I would lose all my FF settings and addons and such.

UG

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am also having problems with Firefox after 4.3. Hope it is fixed soon because I can't find a way to clear ONLY the Android app association/preference for html... all I can find is to clear all app preferences. My other option would be to remove Firefox temporarily, and then I would lose all my FF settings and addons and such.

A few days ago I figured out how to clear the app preference for Firefox, seems obvious now. Anyway, Firefox 23 came out today. Seems to have fixed the problems I was having with white screens, being very slow, etc. But THEY don't claim it is fixed.... in the release notes they say "Browser is unusable on the Nexus 10 tablet with Android 4.3 (see 900020)" and "Users on Android 4.3 will not be able to copy, cut, or select within the address bar (see 889562)"

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=900020

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=889562

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Firefox for years on my desktops. I installed it on my Nexus 10 last week and uninstalled it within 20 minutes due to the freezes. Sticking with Chrome on my tablet for now.

ibmnasa69

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I received the 2.3 Firefox "push" last night. So far, everything seems to be working great on my Nexus 10. Web browsing is noticeably faster today with Firefox, than it was with Chrome yesterday. And, Amazon Prime videos work with it too. So, I'm getting off Chrome and back onto Firefox.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Firefox for years on my desktops. I installed it on my Nexus 10 last week and uninstalled it within 20 minutes due to the freezes.

And it has been great under Android "forever" until the last *ANDROID* update... and Firefox was fixed in what, 12 days? Seems pretty reasonable to me considering Chrome had had much longer periods of "crap" behavior in the past.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sticking with the Nightly builds for a while. So far, no problems. I tried the update and it seemed okay, but I'm keeping my defaults cleared for now and opting for Nightly when I hit a link.

uvarules

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with the Nightly builds for a while. So far, no problems. I tried the update and it seemed okay, but I'm keeping my defaults cleared for now and opting for Nightly when I hit a link.

+1. That's been my experience as well. Nightly builds eliminated the issues I was having. Screen freezing/locks, unable to key log-in passwords, slow rendering, etc...

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
+1. That's been my experience as well. Nightly builds eliminated the issues I was having. Screen freezing/locks, unable to key log-in passwords, slow rendering, etc...

Unfortunately, it hasn't been a cure all. It froze on me last night when I was watching an Amazon Prime Instant Video. It froze the night before that in another situation. (Maybe I jinxed myself by saying no problems so far upthread.) The thing about Nightly is that the updates come out every, well, night, so you don't know if it's the latest update that caused the problem or what.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately yes. Performance in Firefox with 4.3 has been miserable. There are all these strange pauses. Before 4.3 it was great, loved it.

Well, looks like FF 24 just came out today. Seems OK so far, but time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36