Just bought my first tablet - the Nexus 10!

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, pretty psyched about getting my first tablet!! Been wanting one for about a year and now it is on its way (will be here tomorrow, 9/13.) Any good pointers I should do first right out of the box?

I got the tablet to use with my DirecTv Sunday Ticket.....anyone else using their Nexus 10 with Sunday Ticket? Any issues I should know about?

By the way, this is my first post and I have lurked on this site for a few weeks, seems like a nice community to hang around in. :)

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Congrats! How DO you like it? How's that 2560x1600?

The Order Odonata...there can be only one.

It isn't here yet (not till tomorrow, 9/13.) But I am reading the user manual already and have read a bunch of tips and tricks that I googled online. This things seems to do everything, and at a lower price point than Apple. Can't wait to actually get it set up and watch football Sunday! I have a home theater in the basement, so I'm all about high resolution viewing with my TV/projector and audio sound system.

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
You will love it.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Thanks....anything I should do first? Should I just follow the user manual to get it up and running, and then look into the tips and tricks?

Another question, but do any of you guys use a wifi extender with a Comcast Wireless Gateway, Arris Interactive, L.L.C. TG862G (2.4GHz) for your N10 or do you find it to have enough signal strength without one? I only use a laptop currently, but the wirelss gateway modem is located in the basement and I was thinking of watching football on the backyard patio. The tablet will only be the 2nd device relying on my wifi network.

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I do have another question.....what version of Android is most common with new Nexus 10 tablets? Is it 4.2.2 or it is possible I could get one with 4.3 already?

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I was going to get the nexus 10 but I den't have the money lol so I got the Samsung galaxy note 8.0, but now that you are new to the tablet world you may wanna look at my youtube page. I'm teaching a class on how to draw with tablets..idk if you are into are but I'm just putting it out there. But I am super happy for you and I hope you have lots of fun.

if you wanna see the class you can go here. johnathan clemens - YouTube :)

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I do have another question.....what version of Android is most common with new Nexus 10 tablets? Is it 4.2.2 or it is possible I could get one with 4.3 already?

Because it is a Nexus it will have the latest version of Android which is 4.3. If it doesn't arrive with it. Get it setup and let it upgrade to 4.3 before you do to much with it. You will also get the newest version of Android from Google within a few weeks of release generally since it is a Nexus device.

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I was going to get the nexus 10 but I den't have the money lol so I got the Samsung galaxy note 8.0, but now that you are new to the tablet world you may wanna look at my youtube page. I'm teaching a class on how to draw with tablets..idk if you are into are but I'm just putting it out there. But I am super happy for you and I hope you have lots of fun.

if you wanna see the class you can go here. johnathan clemens - YouTube :)

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Because it is a Nexus it will have the latest version of Android which is 4.3. If it doesn't arrive with it. Get it setup and let it upgrade to 4.3 before you do to much with it. You will also get the newest version of Android from Google within a few weeks of release generally since it is a Nexus device.

Thanks for the info....if I don't already get it with 4.3, I'll definitely update to 4.3 as soon as I can.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to point out the Nexus 10 won't be very good for drawing if that is what you want to do. The Note series has a special Wacom Digitizer and s-pen that provide considerably more accuracy. No other standard tablet will come close to that. If drawing is something you really are considering doing you may want to return the Nexus 10 and then get the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1 in a month or two when it comes out. It will cost more but will be a much greater tablet in a few months when it is released, and will have the high res screen the Nexus 10 has.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would second what Craig said -- if I were looking to buy a tab today, I would give serious consideration to the next gen Note 10.1 that is about to come out. In addition to the S Pen, you'll also get micro SD card expandability. That's something you won't get on the Nexus 10 -- the closest you can come is hooking up a USB drive with an OTG cable (and running Nexus Media Importer if you're not rooted). Plus you'll get the Samsung gee-gaws, features, and gimmicks that come with its Touch Wiz skin.

I bought the original Note 10.1 but returned it in favor of the Nexus 10 because I didn't really use the S Pen much -- I already have a Note 2 which I carry around with me all the time anyway -- and because the screen was decidedly mediocre, particularly in comparison with the stunning screen on the Nexus 10. That last difference is now gone.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it goes without saying that the '14 Note 10.1 will be the 10" tablet to beat. A veritable Swiss army knife of functionality. The New Asus Transformer TF701 will all be hot if you want a bad-@$$ tablet/super-netbook. I'm impatient so I opted for the Sony XTZ and really like it. Notable features are un-rooted PS3 controller support and "water-proofness", and immersive and incredible 3D audio, and a really nice screen, and a thin-n-light design, and great battery life, and...oh, nevermind, you get the picture.

Sony XTZ

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Well, I got the Nexus 10 and it is pretty awesome. I updated to 4.3 (I got 4.1 when I received the tablet, so it had me upgrade to 4.2.2 first, then to 4.3.) No biggie, but then I uploaded flash as well and started to set it up and fool around with it. I used it with my wireless gateway from Xfinity-Comcast and was able to watch football via the Sunday Ticket app on Sunday outside. Needless to say, I was thrilled. The picture is incredible on this thing and most things have gone smoothly. I am not a very busy person by nature, so this thing does way more than I need it to do with everyday things (via widgets, Google Play, etc..) I am still learning what it can actually do, but I have been very pleased with its performance so far. The one thing I have noticed is I have had random reboots happen about 2-3 times a day. Not sure what that is about, but hopefully it was something I did (or didn't) do and is only a temporary hiccup. Overall, I am pleased.

I do have a question, but the location of my router isn't great (basement and cannot be moved around much) so I can just get a strong enough signal to watch TV on the tablet outside by sitting next to the back yard door. Would a wifi extender help me in my scenario? If so, are there any you guys would recommend?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys. Well, I got the Nexus 10 and it is pretty awesome. I updated to 4.3 (I got 4.1 when I received the tablet, so it had me upgrade to 4.2.2 first, then to 4.3.) No biggie, but then I uploaded flash as well and started to set it up and fool around with it. I used it with my wireless gateway from Xfinity-Comcast and was able to watch football via the Sunday Ticket app on Sunday outside. Needless to say, I was thrilled. The picture is incredible on this thing and most things have gone smoothly. I am not a very busy person by nature, so this thing does way more than I need it to do with everyday things (via widgets, Google Play, etc..) I am still learning what it can actually do, but I have been very pleased with its performance so far. The one thing I have noticed is I have had random reboots happen about 2-3 times a day. Not sure what that is about, but hopefully it was something I did (or didn't) do and is only a temporary hiccup. Overall, I am pleased.

When the reboots occur, have you noticed if you're doing anything in particular when they occur, or does it seem random?

A while ago, when I ran one of the updates, that happened to mine as well, and doing a factory reset fixed it. Yeah, that's kind of a pain in the [you know what], especially if you've already got it setup the way you like, but it did help in my case.
I do have a question, but the location of my router isn't great (basement and cannot be moved around much) so I can just get a strong enough signal to watch TV on the tablet outside by sitting next to the back yard door. Would a wifi extender help me in my scenario? If so, are there any you guys would recommend?

A repeater (extender) would definitely help I'd think, though I don't really have any recommendations.

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
When the reboots occur, have you noticed if you're doing anything in particular when they occur, or does it seem random?

A while ago, when I ran one of the updates, that happened to mine as well, and doing a factory reset fixed it. Yeah, that's kind of a pain in the [you know what], especially if you've already got it setup the way you like, but it did help in my case.

I think it happened when I was loading apps most of the time, but not all the time....a few times it happened randomly. I would hate to do a reboot now, so you are right, that would be a pain in the you know what.

A repeater (extender) would definitely help I'd think, though I don't really have any recommendations.

Thanks, I am giving it some serious thought.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest trying to move the router if at all possible. It will help so many things out for wifi. I know most people like to keep this stuff hidden but the less things between you and the router the better.

You could get a power line adapter and then pick up an access point to the other end of it.

Several Netgear routers have had the option to configure as a repeater in the past . My older WNDR3700 has it. Just remember half of the bandwidth is used for repeating so a 150 mbps connection is really 75. This may not be the case though with MIMO routers out now so it could depend on what you have.

Another interesting option if you are a tech geek like me would be a power adapter with a Minx Neo X7. It has an option to turn itself into a hot-spot/extender for the wired network it is connected to.

Forsberg21

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest trying to move the router if at all possible. It will help so many things out for wifi. I know most people like to keep this stuff hidden but the less things between you and the router the better.

You could get a power line adapter and then pick up an access point to the other end of it.

Several Netgear routers have had the option to configure as a repeater in the past . My older WNDR3700 has it. Just remember half of the bandwidth is used for repeating so a 150 mbps connection is really 75. This may not be the case though with MIMO routers out now so it could depend on what you have.

Another interesting option if you are a tech geek like me would be a power adapter with a Minx Neo X7. It has an option to turn itself into a hot-spot/extender for the wired network it is connected to.

Personal Opinion: When using a Range Extender use one from the same manufacturer as your Wi-Fi router.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I may just try to find a better location for the router in the basement than where it is currently located. I looked into drilling holes up from the basement ceiling to what would be our bedroom directly above where the desktop it is hooked into the router currently, but I determined this to be a logistic nightmare and it would be waayyy too much work. Hopefully, I can get it to be supported from the basement ceiling than on the basement floor and that will give me the desired signal strength I need. Heck, no matter what, it should at least be stronger to some degree being up higher and this might be all I need instead of getting the wifi repeater. I'll let you know what happens when I fool around with it this weekend.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I think I may just try to find a better location for the router in the basement than where it is currently located. I looked into drilling holes up from the basement ceiling to what would be our bedroom directly above where the desktop it is hooked into the router currently, but I determined this to be a logistic nightmare and it would be waayyy too much work. Hopefully, I can get it to be supported from the basement ceiling than on the basement floor and that will give me the desired signal strength I need. Heck, no matter what, it should at least be stronger to some degree being up higher and this might be all I need instead of getting the wifi repeater. I'll let you know what happens when I fool around with it this weekend.

Running cat 5/ cat 6 wire isn't as hard as you think. It can be expensive to get started. Home depot/ Lowes sell extremely long drill bits for $25-35. With these you can cut a hole in the wall [outlet height/size] and feed the drill bit into the wall while the drill motor remains outside of the wall. Once you are through disconnect the drill from the bit and the tension of the wall should keep it from slipping into the basement. Go downstairs and mark where the bit is poking through. Back upstairs to remove the drill bit. Back downstairs and use another drill bit to widen the hole to the size you need. Obviously before ANY drilling check for any pipes or existing wires in the way. The home improvement stores also sell outlet boxes and cat 5 cover plates that can be used in the hole you created above. Run the catm5/6 wirewith ends from the basement up through the hole, into the box, place the box in the hole and tighten the tension screws to keep it in place, plug the cat 5 wire into the cover, screw the cover to the box. And you will have an Ethernet outlet on your wall. Note try not to exceed 100 ft total runs of Ethernet cable as can degrade the signal.

Honestly though it may run as much as a new router would.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995