Converting BluRay MKV to .MP4 - Settings Help

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Going away this weekend and want to convert two new Blurays i got to MP4's so I can watch them on the plane. i already ripped them to MKV files.

I also have Pavtube that i was going to use to convert. It has a Nexus 10 Setting.

29xp.jpg

I inserted the Settings it gives me. Do they look correct?

Is the resolution correct for the nexus 10 and will it be full screen?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The resolution is actually much lower than the Nexus'. Your tablet actually supports a 2560x1600 resolution that is actually higher than your source video. What your converter is trying to do is downsize the video from a FullHD (1080p) to an HD (720p) video. On a 'small' screen, the difference might be negligible. Both could play in Full Screen if the source video doesn't have the black bars above (remember some movies are not in 16:9 ratio, so black bars are needed to keep the aspect ratio in normal TV's).

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The resolution is actually much lower than the Nexus'. Your tablet actually supports a 2560x1600 resolution that is actually higher than your source video. What your converter is trying to do is downsize the video from a FullHD (1080p) to an HD (720p) video. On a 'small' screen, the difference might be negligible. Both could play in Full Screen if the source video doesn't have the black bars above (remember some movies are not in 16:9 ratio, so black bars are needed to keep the aspect ratio in normal TV's).

So is there a way to get rid of the black bars if I use handbrake? I am so confused by that appliction

Oblivion is 2.40:1

In Handbrake what would you make your settings?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you use handbrake set the width to 1920 and let the height be dynamic. Remember the nexus 10 is 16:9 allot of movies are like 2.35:1 so no matter what they will have black bars unless you stretch it.

Posted via Android Central App

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you use handbrake set the width to 1920 and let the height be dynamic. Remember the nexus 10 is 16:9 allot of movies are like 2.35:1 so no matter what they will have black bars unless you stretch it.

Posted via Android Central App

Ok should I check, Large File Size? What does that do?

Also should I keep it set at Constand bit rate with the slider somewhere in the middle or call out my own?

Currently at 1280x720 and constant bit rate the 33gb file is come out about 1.07gb. Is that ok?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Large File Size option is for if the file is over 4GB in size. Without that check a file size over 4GB will not be playable.

I personally always use variable bit rate instead of constant. It will allow the content be compressed further if it can be, and will use more space if there is just to much activity in the video to compress well. The downside to that is you really can't predict the file size output.

Depending on the bit rate selected 1.07gb is very possible. My guess is that there will be artifacts if that is a 1280x720 video. What was the bitrate set to. For HD Movies with that resolution I haven't had very good results when they get smaller then 4-5GB. This is somewhat content dependent though. Some of my daughters animation movies compress really well, even full HD.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Going away this weekend and want to convert two new Blurays i got to MP4's so I can watch them on the plane. i already ripped them to MKV files.

I also have Pavtube that i was going to use to convert. It has a Nexus 10 Setting.

You can maybe do a higher res but using the 1080p is fine. No need to use the N10 setting if it restricts to lower quality than 1080p. In Pavtube I use the 'Android 1080p".

View attachment 82214

I inserted the Settings it gives me. Do they look correct?

Is the resolution correct for the nexus 10 and will it be full screen?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Guys if i remember correctly it is against forum rules to discuss how to rip movies from physical media. Just saying we may be on the edge of getting this tread closed or deleted.

Handbrake can convert anything if you have everything setup right.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the point is there is a fine line there. And the legality of it can be debated.

I think the fair use act says it is ok, but the DMCA technically makes it illegal in the US. Either way it is a fine line and the folks here have a right to say no to avoid there own legal issues.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3