What would AC's Nexus 10 Forum do? - Buy N10 now or wait for new N10?

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning :)

Purchasing a Nexus 10 is not really something that is in my budget right now. I was gifted just enough ca$h to purchase a N10 16GB ($400) and a little extra to cover any shipping/taxes, etc... There is nothing extra in my budget.

Given that I don't have anything extra and that the new N10 which is supposed to be announced soon (possibly Oct. 14) may actually cost more than the current N10, would you just go ahead and purchase an N10 right now or wait and see what unfolds in the next few weeks?

The 16GB is not sold in any store (Walmart, Staples) so, it's not like they're going to discount it after the new N10 is announced.

Amazon does have a 32GB for $409. It's sold by a 3rd party, but fulfilled by Amazon. There's just something about someone selling a product for $90 less than MSRP that makes me a little concerned.

Feedback please. :)

Thank you. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would wait. We're talking about a little as a few weeks and I would assume that even if the 2013 is slightly higher in price, that the 2012's on the market (Amazon, e-bay, other retailers, etc) are probably at minimum not going to go up in price, but will likely fall somewhat.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I would wait. We're talking about a little as a few weeks and I would assume that even if the 2013 is slightly higher in price, that the 2012's on the market (Amazon, e-bay, other retailers, etc) are probably at minimum not going to go up in price, but will likely fall somewhat.

Would you trust that 32GB that Amazon has for $409? This tablet is going to be used by the whole family (five people), so 32GB might be better than 16GB.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The seller (Dave Parkers) seems to have a solid reputation and uses Amazon for fulfillment, however I've never dealt with that particular reseller. I've personally had good luck dealing with Amazon. It might be a good idea to throw that in your cart and then move it to the save for later area, that way you can watch prices and inventory levels.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I do not plan on upgrading my N10 this time around. The current one is that good. I got mine on launch day last Oct. But, if I was going to be getting one this year, I would wait for the announcement of the new one. Something tells me Craig's List & eBay will have some decent pricing on current gen N10's as people sell theirs to finance a new one. So you may have some good options. Plus, if the rumors are true about Asus building the new one, $400 could be enough.....

Posted via my Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You could base the decision on specs. The day that the N11 -- or whatever it's called -- is announced, compare its specs to those of the N10. If the N11 doesn't blow away the N10 in terms of RAM, processor, display or whatever is important to you, then immediately order the N10, which probably will be discounted even more deeply than it already is. The trick is to be ready to make your decision on the day that N11 is announced because hesitating could mean you miss out on a great deal on the N10 if that's a better fit.

Good luck.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As Big a Suporter of the Current N10 that I am, we have reached the window where it makes more sense to wait on a new model.

My advice is to buy a 32Gb or larger model. I have not as yet used the full 32 Gb on mine but I frequently exceed 16Gb with photos, video etc.

My advice is DO NOT buy a N10 on ebay/Amazon/Craigs List. While the N10 [2012] is an excelllent device there were enough of them shipped with serious screen or Battery defects that I would be concerned with those getting mixed in with Legitimate sellers. Then again I don't like to gamble.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my Nexus 10 but at this point we are close enough to a new one that I would wait. As to 16GB vs 32GB, I suppose it depends on what the difference in prices will be as they have not been announced yet. I have a 16GB model and I find that is more than enough space for me. I have an OTG cable and the Nexus Media Importer app so I can watch any movies I wish right off a flash drive and save my internal space. Cost of cable and app was less than $15. If 5 people were going to use my tablet I would tell them to keep their videos on their own personal flash drives and not load of the tablet.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The real question is how badly do you need one? If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I think there's a pretty good chance that the price remains pretty much the same as last year as well. Google has a history of keeping their hardware priced competitively.

djm7541

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if we are all going to be shocked when we see that the new Nexus 10 machine from Asus doesn't have speakers on the front.

I'd guess that I'm wrong, but I'm happy to already own the current version.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I say wait and then choose between new ASUS model or used Samsung, maybe even a new samsung if Google price drops them. Heck you can buy mine when the time comes. got it a month ago as a replacement for my previous device.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you "hero". Honestly, I didn't even think about going the eBay/Craigslist route. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind, especially since I was considering 3rd party sellers on Amazon.

The auction you listed had already ended when I checked this morning, so I found another auction for a NIB Nexus 10 32GB. I didn't have that coupon you mentioned.

I decided to go with expedited shipping, just to get it before this weekend. I'll still have some $$$ left over to buy a Play GC or maybe a case for the tablet. :)

Thank you everyone for jumping in with your feedback. I did decide to go with an eBay auction for a 32GB model. I would rather get the 32GB and it was less than my spending limit which allows me to have some left over to get some apps. The tablet is going to be used by the kids, so I'll also pickup a decent case too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa