Nexus 10 won't turn on or charge

wendyb1952

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My unit suddenly switched off and refused to charge. I tried all of the options to get it to turn on or factory reset, none of which worked. Finally I gave in and contacted Google Play Customer Support. I have received an email link to get a replacement device and am then expected to send the original back with the RMA form.
All fine and dandy but since I cannot factory reset my original or wipe any data from it, I am slightly worried about sending it off.
Any advice from the more expert of you out there?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My unit suddenly switched off and refused to charge. I tried all of the options to get it to turn on or factory reset, none of which worked. Finally I gave in and contacted Google Play Customer Support. I have received an email link to get a replacement device and am then expected to send the original back with the RMA form.
All fine and dandy but since I cannot factory reset my original or wipe any data from it, I am slightly worried about sending it off.
Any advice from the more expert of you out there?

Did you hold the power button for 15 seconds?
and did you try to boot into recovery? (hold the volume down and power)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
On the off chance that the charger has given up, did you try another charger or just plugging into a USB port on your PC and letting it sit for a while?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Was it actually in need of a charge when it shut down on you? If yes, possibly there is a bent pin in the USB port. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. If it won't start no one else will see your info either and anyone who tries to refurbish it when it is returned is likely going to just wipe it if they can get it running.

wendyb1952

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Was it actually in need of a charge when it shut down on you? If yes, possibly there is a bent pin in the USB port. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. If it won't start no one else will see your info either and anyone who tries to refurbish it when it is returned is likely going to just wipe it if they can get it running.

I had put it on charge at 30% battery, left it for a while when I went to do something, and when I came back it had turned off and wouldn't start again. Neither would it recharge even after leaving it for a long while. Plugged in and pressing the power button briefly bought up the battery icon (with the lightning symbol seemingly indicating full charge, which it wasn't) and unplugged, nothing at all. As I mentioned in the original post I have tried all of the ways you could possibly try to get it to respond, holding power down for various lengths of time, power + volume, etc., etc.
Thanks for your reassurance. I'm awaiting delivery of my replacement and can then return the faulty one. Here's hoping the new one will behave. :)

wendyb1952

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So I thought I would have one final try at getting my tablet to work before they send the replacement and now it is charging again - and working! So now a dilemma. Do I cancel the replacement or wait until I know it is fully charged and risk them already shipping the new one? I suppose I can refuse delivery.

James Temple1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
So I thought I would have one final try at getting my tablet to work before they send the replacement and now it is charging again - and working! So now a dilemma. Do I cancel the replacement or wait until I know it is fully charged and risk them already shipping the new one? I suppose I can refuse delivery.

If it were me I won't do anything until I sure that my old unit was working properly. You need to not only charge it but make sure that the battery capacity is still there and after using it awhile put it on the charger again and make sure it is able to be charged.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
A similar thing happened to me a while back...

One day I picked up my tablet, which should have had plenty of battery (I can't remember exactly where it was at) and... nothing. nada. zilch. zero. kaput. I tried charging it and again...nothing. Tried all the tricks of holding down the power button for an extended time...nothing. I was pretty depressed as the tab was still fairly new at that time. Now, I hadn't picked up the tab in a little while when this happened, but I remember that I knew there was no way the battery should be dead.

So, long story short, I just left it plugged in for a while and about an hour later the screen lit up a bit and the battery icon appeared. After about 5 minutes I was able to start the device and it was showing my battery at 1%...but it was charging so I just left it and allowed it to charge fully. Here are we several months later and everything has been fine and nothing like that has happened since. strange.

Here's what I took away from that:

1. I'm assuming some app went "rouge" and rapidly drained my battery down to zero, though I'll probably never know exactly what happened.

2. With the battery completely drained, even though I had plugged it in, it took a while before it even registered that it was charging...at all. I'm glad I decided to just leave it plugged in to see what happened.

userfromatl

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
This just happened to me, except that mine is brand new. Just received a few days ago, and used about 3 hours out of the box. Supposedly there was 40% power left, then it gave a warning and shut down, Had the charger plugged in for 13 hours with no luck. In my short usage time, I downloaded a few apps and upgraded to 4.3. Tried the restart options mentioned in this thread. How often is this problem being reported? This seems unacceptable for a company with Samsung's reputation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles