Google Play Music CRAP

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
OK, I thought the last update would fix it, but it doesn't.

I can't use Google Play Music AT ALL. Every time I launch it, it crashes and says "Unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped". I cleared the cache. I cleared all settings. I tried it with and without an account. It makes no difference. Has been doing this for months (I don't play music on my tablet very often). I have reported it dozens of times with the crash reporter. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this problem on the N10?

I have no intention of EVER using any type of "cloud" service related to it, should I just trash it and use some other local music player (and if so, what free app would you recommend?)

Thanks

smakena

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey there, <a href=" http://mashable.com/2012/01/11/spotify-music-streaming-alternatives/">check out this link for other free alternatives.</a> I'd have recommended spotify but they now charge $10 a month. Good luck!

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, I thought the last update would fix it, but it doesn't.

I can't use Google Play Music AT ALL. Every time I launch it, it crashes and says "Unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped". I cleared the cache. I cleared all settings. I tried it with and without an account. It makes no difference. Has been doing this for months (I don't play music on my tablet very often). I have reported it dozens of times with the crash reporter. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this problem on the N10?

I have no intention of EVER using any type of "cloud" service related to it, should I just trash it and use some other local music player (and if so, what free app would you recommend?)

Thanks

If you don't intend on using Play Music's All Access feature, then I would swap out for doubleTwist. It's probably one of the best free music players that you'll find. It's only missing a few features to the "pro" version.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you don't intend on using Play Music's All Access feature, then I would swap out for doubleTwist. It's probably one of the best free music players that you'll find. It's only missing a few features to the "pro" version.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed it and it works pretty good. Doesn't have playback info (time, index, shuttle) which is really annoying. Also I would want to disable/hide all the non-free/nag stuff (which automatically makes me FAR less willing to buy a premium version plus $8 is kinda insane for a music app); but otherwise it is one of the best I have seen yet. Still, I might have to get this on my mom's tablet because she just doesn't understand the several I have tried for her already.

------

I should have mentioned that if I uninstall ALL updates on Google Play Music (returning it to factory ROM version), it will work again. But as soon as it is updated (both this version or previous) it becomes a paperweight again. It is really unfortunate there is no way in Google Play [Store] to tell it to NEVER update a certain app so it doesn't keep annoying the user and then accidentally becoming updated again.

jlinz20

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed it and it works pretty good. Doesn't have playback info (time, index, shuttle) which is really annoying. Also I would want to disable/hide all the non-free/nag stuff (which automatically makes me FAR less willing to buy a premium version plus $8 is kinda insane for a music app); but otherwise it is one of the best I have seen yet. Still, I might have to get this on my mom's tablet because she just doesn't understand the several I have tried for her already.

------

I should have mentioned that if I uninstall ALL updates on Google Play Music (returning it to factory ROM version), it will work again. But as soon as it is updated (both this version or previous) it becomes a paperweight again. It is really unfortunate there is no way in Google Play [Store] to tell it to NEVER update a certain app so it doesn't keep annoying the user and then accidentally becoming updated again.

You should be able to uncheck it so it doesn't auto update.

Also you can probably find an apk of the play music app that doesn't give you problems, I haven't had a problem with mine.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to uncheck it so it doesn't auto update.

I know, but then one can't use "Update All" which is equally annoying. I don't use auto update. There needs to be a another setting called "don't update".

Also you can probably find an apk of the play music app that doesn't give you problems, I haven't had a problem with mine.

I am guessing by the lack of confirmation, it might be something with just my tablet. Can't imagine what it could be except some conflict with another app, or some media file it just doesn't like.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing by the lack of confirmation, it might be something with just my tablet. Can't imagine what it could be except some conflict with another app, or some media file it just doesn't like.

I was just using it Friday night for the 1st time on my Nexus 10 and it worked fine. There may very well be a conflict with something else you have installed.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I hate to suggest it but maybe a factory reset is in order. I don't have any problems with it either.

As I recall you have had your N10 a long time. Almost since release if not since. Have you ever done a factory reset.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I hate to suggest it but maybe a factory reset is in order. I don't have any problems with it either.
As I recall you have had your N10 a long time. Almost since release if not since. Have you ever done a factory reset.

Yep, mine is as old as they get. Have never done a reset before. This is the only issue, though.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, is your library on Play made up of music purchased from Google, your own music, or a combination of the two? And how many songs?

I've had no problems at all with Play Music -- my library consists entirely of music I've uploaded, and I have about 7500 songs out of the 20,000 song limit.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, is your library on Play made up of music purchased from Google, your own music, or a combination of the two? And how many songs?

100% local, my own songs, 0 from Google. Not sure how many I loaded, I think just a few thousand. All 168kb/s fixed rate mp3.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep, mine is as old as they get. Have never done a reset before. This is the only issue, though.

Well I have mine pretty much since about a week after release. Over the course I think I have done 1 or 2 resets. Mainly because I have gotten impatient for updates or something else. O well it may be worth it. Just backup with helium or something like it and see what happens. At least since you got it from Google it should reload all your software for you.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
At least since you got it from Google it should reload all your software for you.

Not sure that I understand that last comment. It should not matter where you bought it. That is not an extra option that Google added for Play Store purchases only.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
100% local, my own songs, 0 from Google. Not sure how many I loaded, I think just a few thousand. All 168kb/s fixed rate mp3.

Thought there might be some weird interplay. Well, other than a factory reset, why not call Google's Nexus help desk? 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS) Presumably you will not get Vince Vaughn or Owen Wilson when you call.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Thought there might be some weird interplay. Well, other than a factory reset, why not call Google's Nexus help desk? 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS)

Hmm, that never crossed my mind. I called them tonight and reported it. They had me do an alogcat and Email it to them and are forwarding it to a higher level. When I looked at the log, it didn't seem to contain anything interesting or relevant, but maybe I am wrong. Guess we wait and see.

Even if it never gets resolved, it is not a big whoop, since I would rarely use that app on my tablet, anyway. And there are plenty of other ways to play local music. But maybe this will help get it fixed for any others who might be having the same issue.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, that never crossed my mind. I called them tonight and reported it. They had me do an alogcat and Email it to them and are forwarding it to a higher level. When I looked at the log, it didn't seem to contain anything interesting or relevant, but maybe I am wrong. Guess we wait and see.

Even if it never gets resolved, it is not a big whoop, since I would rarely use that app on my tablet, anyway. And there are plenty of other ways to play local music. But maybe this will help get it fixed for any others who might be having the same issue.

2 things...

1. I don't remember if it was here at AC or not, but I know I came across a thread once where some guy had an issue where Asian characters in the file names of his songs was causing Google Music to crash. Have no idea if that's your problem...but I figured worth mentioning.

2. Somewhat related to #1, but if it is a file or song or something corrupted in your library that causes the app to crash, perhaps you could try deleting the music from the device and then re-adding it? If it were me, I know I'd rather try this before resorting to a factory reset (which would probably be my next step).

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure that I understand that last comment. It should not matter where you bought it. That is not an extra option that Google added for Play Store purchases only.

Atleast when I bought it from the play store I linked it to my account. Maybe my assumption that involved with signing in right after the first start with my Google account triggers a download of all the apps on my account.

No other device I have automatically installs my apps.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
1. I don't remember if it was here at AC or not, but I know I came across a thread once where some guy had an issue where Asian characters in the file names of his songs was causing Google Music to crash. Have no idea if that's your problem...but I figured worth mentioning.

Yep, I have seen that too. Unlikely in my case, since I named everything myself or at least edited what came across CDDB CDDB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Somewhat related to #1, but if it is a file or song or something corrupted in your library that causes the app to crash, perhaps you could try deleting the music from the device and then re-adding it? If it were me, I know I'd rather try this before resorting to a factory reset (which would probably be my next step).

Yep, that did occur to me and might be something I will like try. Of course, it is not terribly easy since it has no USB Mass Storage mode (damnit) and no SD card. Blech.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
i have used my N10 from day one to stream music from google play and locally from the device. i also play that music to a bluetooth speaker and never have a problem. it sounds like it is an update not installing correctly, i would try side loading the app updates. if that doesnt work then im not sure a factory reset will work, i would go straight to reloading the OS at that point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante