Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Google Play Music CRAP

    OK, I thought the last update would fix it, but it doesn't.

    I can't use Google Play Music AT ALL. Every time I launch it, it crashes and says "Unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped". I cleared the cache. I cleared all settings. I tried it with and without an account. It makes no difference. Has been doing this for months (I don't play music on my tablet very often). I have reported it dozens of times with the crash reporter. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this problem on the N10?

    I have no intention of EVER using any type of "cloud" service related to it, should I just trash it and use some other local music player (and if so, what free app would you recommend?)

    Thanks
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Hey there, <a href=" http://mashable.com/2012/01/11/spotify-music-streaming-alternatives/">check out this link for other free alternatives.</a> I'd have recommended spotify but they now charge $10 a month. Good luck!
  3. #3  
    MERCDROID's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    OK, I thought the last update would fix it, but it doesn't.

    I can't use Google Play Music AT ALL. Every time I launch it, it crashes and says "Unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped". I cleared the cache. I cleared all settings. I tried it with and without an account. It makes no difference. Has been doing this for months (I don't play music on my tablet very often). I have reported it dozens of times with the crash reporter. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this problem on the N10?

    I have no intention of EVER using any type of "cloud" service related to it, should I just trash it and use some other local music player (and if so, what free app would you recommend?)

    Thanks
    If you don't intend on using Play Music's All Access feature, then I would swap out for doubleTwist. It's probably one of the best free music players that you'll find. It's only missing a few features to the "pro" version.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

    Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    If you don't intend on using Play Music's All Access feature, then I would swap out for doubleTwist. It's probably one of the best free music players that you'll find. It's only missing a few features to the "pro" version.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed it and it works pretty good. Doesn't have playback info (time, index, shuttle) which is really annoying. Also I would want to disable/hide all the non-free/nag stuff (which automatically makes me FAR less willing to buy a premium version plus $8 is kinda insane for a music app); but otherwise it is one of the best I have seen yet. Still, I might have to get this on my mom's tablet because she just doesn't understand the several I have tried for her already.

    ------

    I should have mentioned that if I uninstall ALL updates on Google Play Music (returning it to factory ROM version), it will work again. But as soon as it is updated (both this version or previous) it becomes a paperweight again. It is really unfortunate there is no way in Google Play [Store] to tell it to NEVER update a certain app so it doesn't keep annoying the user and then accidentally becoming updated again.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed it and it works pretty good. Doesn't have playback info (time, index, shuttle) which is really annoying. Also I would want to disable/hide all the non-free/nag stuff (which automatically makes me FAR less willing to buy a premium version plus $8 is kinda insane for a music app); but otherwise it is one of the best I have seen yet. Still, I might have to get this on my mom's tablet because she just doesn't understand the several I have tried for her already.

    ------

    I should have mentioned that if I uninstall ALL updates on Google Play Music (returning it to factory ROM version), it will work again. But as soon as it is updated (both this version or previous) it becomes a paperweight again. It is really unfortunate there is no way in Google Play [Store] to tell it to NEVER update a certain app so it doesn't keep annoying the user and then accidentally becoming updated again.
    You should be able to uncheck it so it doesn't auto update.

    Also you can probably find an apk of the play music app that doesn't give you problems, I haven't had a problem with mine.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinz20 View Post
    You should be able to uncheck it so it doesn't auto update.
    I know, but then one can't use "Update All" which is equally annoying. I don't use auto update. There needs to be a another setting called "don't update".

    Also you can probably find an apk of the play music app that doesn't give you problems, I haven't had a problem with mine.
    I am guessing by the lack of confirmation, it might be something with just my tablet. Can't imagine what it could be except some conflict with another app, or some media file it just doesn't like.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    I am guessing by the lack of confirmation, it might be something with just my tablet. Can't imagine what it could be except some conflict with another app, or some media file it just doesn't like.
    I was just using it Friday night for the 1st time on my Nexus 10 and it worked fine. There may very well be a conflict with something else you have installed.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    I hate to suggest it but maybe a factory reset is in order. I don't have any problems with it either.

    As I recall you have had your N10 a long time. Almost since release if not since. Have you ever done a factory reset.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    I hate to suggest it but maybe a factory reset is in order. I don't have any problems with it either.
    As I recall you have had your N10 a long time. Almost since release if not since. Have you ever done a factory reset.
    Yep, mine is as old as they get. Have never done a reset before. This is the only issue, though.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  10. #10  
    JasW's Avatar

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Just out of curiosity, is your library on Play made up of music purchased from Google, your own music, or a combination of the two? And how many songs?

    I've had no problems at all with Play Music -- my library consists entirely of music I've uploaded, and I have about 7500 songs out of the 20,000 song limit.
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    I use it daily to stream from my Nexus 10 to a Samsung Soundbar.

    Works flawlessly.

    John
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is your library on Play made up of music purchased from Google, your own music, or a combination of the two? And how many songs?
    100% local, my own songs, 0 from Google. Not sure how many I loaded, I think just a few thousand. All 168kb/s fixed rate mp3.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Yep, mine is as old as they get. Have never done a reset before. This is the only issue, though.
    Well I have mine pretty much since about a week after release. Over the course I think I have done 1 or 2 resets. Mainly because I have gotten impatient for updates or something else. O well it may be worth it. Just backup with helium or something like it and see what happens. At least since you got it from Google it should reload all your software for you.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    At least since you got it from Google it should reload all your software for you.
    Not sure that I understand that last comment. It should not matter where you bought it. That is not an extra option that Google added for Play Store purchases only.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  15. #15  
    JasW's Avatar

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    100% local, my own songs, 0 from Google. Not sure how many I loaded, I think just a few thousand. All 168kb/s fixed rate mp3.
    Thought there might be some weird interplay. Well, other than a factory reset, why not call Google's Nexus help desk? 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS) Presumably you will not get Vince Vaughn or Owen Wilson when you call.
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Thought there might be some weird interplay. Well, other than a factory reset, why not call Google's Nexus help desk? 1-855-836-3987 (855-83-NEXUS)
    Hmm, that never crossed my mind. I called them tonight and reported it. They had me do an alogcat and Email it to them and are forwarding it to a higher level. When I looked at the log, it didn't seem to contain anything interesting or relevant, but maybe I am wrong. Guess we wait and see.

    Even if it never gets resolved, it is not a big whoop, since I would rarely use that app on my tablet, anyway. And there are plenty of other ways to play local music. But maybe this will help get it fixed for any others who might be having the same issue.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Hmm, that never crossed my mind. I called them tonight and reported it. They had me do an alogcat and Email it to them and are forwarding it to a higher level. When I looked at the log, it didn't seem to contain anything interesting or relevant, but maybe I am wrong. Guess we wait and see.

    Even if it never gets resolved, it is not a big whoop, since I would rarely use that app on my tablet, anyway. And there are plenty of other ways to play local music. But maybe this will help get it fixed for any others who might be having the same issue.
    2 things...

    1. I don't remember if it was here at AC or not, but I know I came across a thread once where some guy had an issue where Asian characters in the file names of his songs was causing Google Music to crash. Have no idea if that's your problem...but I figured worth mentioning.

    2. Somewhat related to #1, but if it is a file or song or something corrupted in your library that causes the app to crash, perhaps you could try deleting the music from the device and then re-adding it? If it were me, I know I'd rather try this before resorting to a factory reset (which would probably be my next step).
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Not sure that I understand that last comment. It should not matter where you bought it. That is not an extra option that Google added for Play Store purchases only.
    Atleast when I bought it from the play store I linked it to my account. Maybe my assumption that involved with signing in right after the first start with my Google account triggers a download of all the apps on my account.

    No other device I have automatically installs my apps.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    1. I don't remember if it was here at AC or not, but I know I came across a thread once where some guy had an issue where Asian characters in the file names of his songs was causing Google Music to crash. Have no idea if that's your problem...but I figured worth mentioning.
    Yep, I have seen that too. Unlikely in my case, since I named everything myself or at least edited what came across CDDB

    2. Somewhat related to #1, but if it is a file or song or something corrupted in your library that causes the app to crash, perhaps you could try deleting the music from the device and then re-adding it? If it were me, I know I'd rather try this before resorting to a factory reset (which would probably be my next step).
    Yep, that did occur to me and might be something I will like try. Of course, it is not terribly easy since it has no USB Mass Storage mode (damnit) and no SD card. Blech.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  20. #20  
    HawaiianLaker's Avatar

    Posts
    257 Posts
    ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    i have used my N10 from day one to stream music from google play and locally from the device. i also play that music to a bluetooth speaker and never have a problem. it sounds like it is an update not installing correctly, i would try side loading the app updates. if that doesnt work then im not sure a factory reset will work, i would go straight to reloading the OS at that point.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    Atleast when I bought it from the play store I linked it to my account. Maybe my assumption that involved with signing in right after the first start with my Google account triggers a download of all the apps on my account.

    No other device I have automatically installs my apps.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Ahh... I see what you are getting at. When you order it from the Play Store you can have them put your gmail account in it already. If you buy it somewhere else you put that in yourself and are then offered the choice to auto install all your current apps or later install them one at a time (or from a back up you might have).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yep, that did occur to me and might be something I will like try. Of course, it is not terribly easy since it has no USB Mass Storage mode (damnit) and no SD card. Blech.
    That may not be as big an issue as you imagine if you have all your .mp3 files on your PC. You can still copy them in groups from your PC to the music folder of your tablet. I did that initially with my Galaxy Nexus, before I started using Pandora and Google All Access music. Just make sure you have it in MTTP mode and not PTP. Windows PC can use it right away. Macs need the Android File Transfer software.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    That may not be as big an issue as you imagine if you have all your .mp3 files on your PC. You can still copy them in groups from your PC to the music folder of your tablet.
    Unfortunately not because MTP is a bastardization and doesn't work well in Linux at all. I do hope that gets added as a WORKING user-space mount option in file browsers like Dolphin and Thunar soon, though. Not sure why it is taking so long.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    I started using the app Rocket Player and think it way better than Google music player.
  24. #24  
    JasW's Avatar

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Can't stream your Google music from Rocket (although I do like Rocket for playing music stored on my phone).

    I had a thought, related to what was said about updates above -- why not go into Apps, click on Uninstall Updates, and see how it works then? If all is well, go back and let it update.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Play Music CRAP

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Hmm, that never crossed my mind. I called them tonight and reported it.
    And 3 days later, they never contacted me back. I guess it shouldn't surprise me. Oh well.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 09:39 PM
  2. Google maps on Note 3
    By Jnorton2724 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM
  3. What's the best use for Google voice?
    By jerethi in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 03:16 AM
  4. Note 3 can't play music through Chromecast
    By ZarathustraHead in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 02:58 AM
  5. Google NOW
    By Aimes_D in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 02:20 AM

Posting Permissions

B