Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By djm7541
  • 1 Post By djm7541
  • 1 Post By Anoles
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Massive performance drop in recent weeks.

I'm wondering if it relates to an app or app update, or the fact that I am running out of storage space, but my 10 has gone from being blazing fast to cripplingly slow.

When it's done powering up, I swipe to unlock and my panes take 2-3 minutes to load. Going to the apps page results in a blank black page for about 10-15 seconds. Google Play, Chrome and Netflix hang - a lot. Chrome is almost unbearable. I'll tap a link or swipe a page, and about 1/4 of the time it just hangs and does nothing (when it finally reacts, the frame rate tanks). I am getting "This app isn't responding. Send a crash report?" on/off all day with random apps.

I've tried using a few apps to clean up unnecessarily used space, cleared caches, deleted a lot of unused stuff, and even removed a few apps. I find myself rebooting about twice a day now. It's turning into a slug and I don't have a strong inclination as to why. I'm almost tempted to back everything up and do a factory reset.

Is there by chance any recent happening that has resulted in a performance compromise? A popular app with a bad update? Something? Thanks.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Default Re: Massive performance drop in recent weeks.

I've recently had the same issues. Also contemplating doing a reset. Chrome browser seems to be most affected by it.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've also been having frequent issues with the Play Store. App updates either failing or "downloading" indefinitely. I did an "Update All" about 10 mins ago, and it's stuck on Google Play Books. Says it'll take 33 more minutes. I'm right next to an enterprise-quality router on the fastest business-cable net you can get.

I stopped using my Nexus 10 weeks ago because the lag was so bad. It was very sudden. I haven't found a fix yet.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Quote Originally Posted by Anoles View Post
    I'm wondering if it relates to an app or app update, or the fact that I am running out of storage space, but my 10 has gone from being blazing fast to cripplingly slow.

When it's done powering up, I swipe to unlock and my panes take 2-3 minutes to load. Going to the apps page results in a blank black page for about 10-15 seconds. Google Play, Chrome and Netflix hang - a lot. Chrome is almost unbearable. I'll tap a link or swipe a page, and about 1/4 of the time it just hangs and does nothing (when it finally reacts, the frame rate tanks). I am getting "This app isn't responding. Send a crash report?" on/off all day with random apps.

I've tried using a few apps to clean up unnecessarily used space, cleared caches, deleted a lot of unused stuff, and even removed a few apps. I find myself rebooting about twice a day now. It's turning into a slug and I don't have a strong inclination as to why. I'm almost tempted to back everything up and do a factory reset.

Is there by chance any recent happening that has resulted in a performance compromise? A popular app with a bad update? Something? Thanks.
    I haven't experienced this problem myself but I suppose you could try off loading whatever you have filling your storage to see if it makes a difference. Or you could always do a backup and then factory restore.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraHead View Post
    I stopped using my Nexus 10 weeks ago because the lag was so bad. It was very sudden. I haven't found a fix yet.

sent from my Note 3
    I just wanted to report that my horrible lag problem on my Nexus 10 seems to have somehow been resolved. I have no idea how or why - perhaps an update snuck in. I've been working for some time tonight with no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

So many people complaining, I wonder if Google turned some switch on to make all the Nexus 10 tablets go slow, in order to boost sales of the new Nexus 10, in a week or two. :-)

I've had the EXACT same problems in the exact same time frame. I'm ready to do a hard reset to see if that helps, but thought I'd check the forums 1st. Have you found any remedies?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNexusMan View Post
    I've had the EXACT same problems in the exact same time frame. I'm ready to do a hard reset to see if that helps, but thought I'd check the forums 1st. Have you found any remedies?
    Yes. My Nexus 10 seems fixed for a few days now. I updated the Nexus to 4.3. When that didn't work, I gave up. I left it off for about 3 weeks, and bought the Note 10.1 2014 and Xperia Tablet Z to try them out. When I powered the Nexus 10 back up weeks later, it was cured (hopefully, for good).

I'm ecstatic to have it back. The Note 10.1 2014 has a bug that it constantly disconnects from bluetooth keyboards, so it's going back.

Don't believe the reviewer hype about the Tablet Z. It's light and that's great, but the low res screen is a deal killer. Nearly a year old, the Nexus 10 is a nicer tablet at a lower price. I also much prefer the Nexus 10's ergonomic shape to the Tablet Z's sharp edges. The Tablet Z reminded me a bit of an Apple product - it was clearly designed with a concern of form over function.

If you do a hard reset, please post whether that works. I'm concerned that the lag on mine could return. Please also post whether you've updated to 4.3. I think that could be important.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

For anything other than version 4.3 (older than 4.3), it really wouldn't be so unusual. Because only 4.3 and 4.4 (kitkat) have the "trim" command. And even after updating to 4.3, one would have to wait a bit for the trim command to do its work, and clean up the storage.

For anybody looking to learn about the "trim" command, this is a good place to start:

Last edited by djm7541; 11-09-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: url
    crxssi likes this.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

I had a similar problem too. It turned out it was a weather/time widget that I was using.

And this guy here, Marques Brownlee,

I agree with him that "trim" is the #1 reason why you want to install, at least, Android 4.3

But his description of the mechanics of "trim" is a bit lacking, but he's right, it will bring your Nexus 10 back up to speed.

Although it might take awhile, after the update. It might not be an improvement, right away, instantly, right after the update.

But one should update to 4.3, for "trim". It's almost even a bit surprising that they were selling, previously, tablets that didn't have an OS that implemented "trim".

But this is not to say that there couldn't also be other issues slowing down your Nexus 10. But just as a starting point, make sure that you have Android 4.3
    crxssi likes this.

Yes! So I did a hard reset, and it seems to be running back to normal again, so far ( for about 3 days now). So that seems to have done the trick. Not only is it fast and smooth again, but the battery life has improved again to what it used to be (maybe even better). Now, I also did not reinstall EVERY app I had on there before, I did install many of them, just not every single one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    I had a similar problem too. It turned out it was a weather/time widget that I was using.
    What weather/time widget was it? I wonder if we all had/have that same widget installed.

Mine has been and keeps being a performance champ since the get go. One thing I noticed, though, is that using nexus media importer to watch movies many times ended up causing lag. I noticed the tablet had very little RAM left after watching movies, I suspect that app may have issues releasing memory correctly and when it has to. A quick reboot would fix the problem every time, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNexusMan View Post
    Yes! So I did a hard reset, and it seems to be running back to normal again, so far ( for about 3 days now). So that seems to have done the trick. Not only is it fast and smooth again, but the battery life has improved again to what it used to be (maybe even better). Now, I also did not reinstall EVERY app I had on there before, I did install many of them, just not every single one.

- - - Updated - - -
    Are you running 4.3?

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Just an update: I found the issue. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it was entirely because my storage space was almost tapped. I had about 1.2GB of free space. I deleted a ton of junk and it's back to being completely normal.
    Devlyn16 likes this.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anoles View Post
    Just an update: I found the issue. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it was entirely because my storage space was almost tapped. I had about 1.2GB of free space. I deleted a ton of junk and it's back to being completely normal.
    That CAN happen with certain filesystems which simply don't like being low on storage and it causes lots of extra overhead. However, I wouldn't think that 1.2GB is all that low. If it were below a few hundred MB, I would certainly be concerned. But the fact that you got it back to "normal" is good and something we should keep in mind.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

It's killing me with its performance drop in the past month, I've done a factory reset, I barely have any apps on it, I've cleared cache and still laggy. My Nexus 10 used to be so fast now it's almost unusable. Chrome, Gmail, play store are so slow, and they're all google products. I've run out of ideas. It's not my wifi I've reset it plus my wife's Nexus 7 is speedy.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Kit Kat fixed all my problems!