Anybody Have 4.4 OTA?

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not playing the location game at all. I'm just looking to see when the update rollout gains traction. Google acts like they don't have the serving capability. It's not like the Nexus 10 was a best seller by any means.

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not playing the location game at all. I'm just looking to see when the update rollout gains traction. Google acts like they don't have the serving capability. It's not like the Nexus 10 was a best seller by any means.

I don't think anyone insinuated that you, the thread author, had...it's just that every time there's a thread like this everyone reporting in always says something to the effect of "Nothing here in upstate NY" or "downloading now in Phoenix!" because many used to speculate that the updates were rolled out by geographic regions. (and there was a time when that may have been the case for some carriers...but who knows?)

I also have a feeling that if Google just opened the flood gates then it would cause issues. By rolling updates in batches they avoid the inevitable bandwidth hit their servers would take (and remember, it's not just the N10 getting updates, but the two Nexus 7 tablets as well)... Every time Apple releases iOS updates, everyone I know with iPhones complains about how many hours it took to download or that they weren't even able to (at least on the first day)...I think Google is just trying to avoid this.

Another very possible reason is so that if a bug is discovered early, it's easier to pull the update and fix it before EVERYONE has installed it...though I think the strain on their bandwidth is the primary reason.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
And also concur on the Google Framework trick...after every update comes out there's always posts here from folks who have screwed something up on their device by doing it.

The Framework trick *does* work, at least most of the time, to accelerate getting the update if it was going to be pushed to you. But it did hose my tablet once. Had to delete my account and add it back again.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I broke my check now button.

You do realize that button does nothing when pressed more than once in a day. I believe I even read if you just checked within X hours, it will pause a few seconds and say there is no update, without ever checking.

We all just have to be patient. They push to your device, probably by serial number or account name or number or something and nothing will change that unless you want to try and flash it yourself when the files become available.

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that button does nothing when pressed more than once in a day. I believe I even read if you just checked within X hours, it will pause a few seconds and say there is no update, without ever checking.

We all just have to be patient. They push to your device, probably by serial number or account name or number or something and nothing will change that unless you want to try and flash it yourself when the files become available.

You do realize I was being facetious?
I don't mind waiting for the 4.4 update, it's the Hangouts update for my phone that is beginning to annoy me!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

gene1138

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

kcad01

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Just received the OTA in Jupiter, Florida - installing now. Some have suggested that you DO NOT try the Google Framework Services trick, but I did. I have done it in the past and have seen no ill effects. I don't know if that actually works or if, coincidentally, it was just pushed to my device just before I tried it. I tried it about 2 dozen times yesterday and it did not work.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The Framework trick *does* work, at least most of the time, to accelerate getting the update if it was going to be pushed to you. But it did hose my tablet once. Had to delete my account and add it back again.

Your two comments here basically sum up what I was trying to say...

1. Yes, the framework trick does work, but only in the sense that it allows you check more than once a day. In other words, if your device checked for update at 0600 and there was no update, but at 1000 your device got put into the "queue" to get it from Google, then you wouldn't actually see it on your device until 0600 the next day under normal circumstances, no matter how many times you hit the "check update" button. By doing the Framework check you circumvent this and allow your device to check in with Google's servers immediately.

2. If your device is not in the "queue" yet, doing this trick will not cause the update to appear.

3. Despite the fact that it does work, there are side-effects and risks to doing it...so it may be best to just wait. Probably the only time I'd use the Framework trick was if I had a few hours of free time and REALLY wanted to make sure the update wasn't available yet because I knew I'd have little time to do it later...

But to be honest I usually just wait until the full factory images are available and do it manually anyway, because I've found them to be more reliable than OTAs anyway.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I think the lack of tablet ui in the settings looks horrendous and is a very puzzling piece of this build. This is a 10 inch tablet, the whole settings screen is filled with nothing!

Sent from my Nexus 10

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to point out it is not a good idea to clear the services framework as this can break your device's connection to Google's servers and run your battery down by endlessly attempting to sync

Sent from my Nexus 10

Indeed, and needless to say it's silly too considering your impatience is only buying you a few days earlier than if you had just simply waited.

IkS10

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the OTA update 2 days ago and to be honest, I wish I hadn't installed it. It just doesn't feel polished at all and it doesn't feel like it was adapted to the nexus 10. Like a previous commenter mentioned, the settings is not split screen and just looks and feels terrible and the system in general seems to stutter and lag occasionally. When booting up the device it takes a few minutes for your widgets to reload even though this was not an issue on jelly bean. And it's disappointing that we don't get the transparent nav bar or the Google experience launcher, even if we did know about these omissions beforehand.

Last edited:

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I got the OTA update 2 days ago and to be honest, I wish I hadn't installed it. It just doesn't feel polished at all and it doesn't feel like it was adapted to the nexus 10. Like a previous commenter mentioned, the settings is not split screen and just looks and feels terrible and the system in general seems to stutter and lag occasionally. When booting up the device it takes a few minutes for your widgets to reload even though this was not an issue on jelly bean. And it's disappointing that we don't get the transparent nav bar or the Google experience launcher, even if we did know about these omissions beforehand.

Great. Now, after reading that, I don't want the update, and it'll be here in minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

arjen82

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Really? I do like it. I agree with the settings and boot, but don't spend too much time in the settings nor do I reboot that often.

I haven't seen lag, if anything it feels faster. It also seems less power hungry. It is actually charging over 1A USB while I am using it for browsing.

Ratamacue2

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Not seeing any problems with stutter or lag. Widgets do take a little longer to load on boot. Kinda disappointed we don't get the transparent nav bar. :(