Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Help! Husbands birthday is coming up and I would like to get him a tablet but need help choosing!

    After reading reviews it seems as though the Google Nexus 10 is the best one out there but is that true? I'm not looking to spend anymore than $500. He would be using it for watching sports, playing games, browsing the net, and watching videos. May take pics and vids on occasion. I like that it has a tougher glass than others. He takes care of his stuff but he would be taking it to work and he works in a factory so needs something that has some toughness to it. He has the ability to use his phone as a hotspot. Just in case you need to know, I'm located in WI.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  
    DroidArmy's Avatar

    Posts
    603 Posts
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Quote Originally Posted by tess1977 View Post
    Help! Husbands birthday is coming up and I would like to get him a tablet but need help choosing!

    After reading reviews it seems as though the Google Nexus 10 is the best one out there but is that true? I'm not looking to spend anymore than $500. He would be using it for watching sports, playing games, browsing the net, and watching videos. May take pics and vids on occasion. I like that it has a tougher glass than others. He takes care of his stuff but he would be taking it to work and he works in a factory so needs something that has some toughness to it. He has the ability to use his phone as a hotspot. Just in case you need to know, I'm located in WI.

    Thanks in advance!
    The Nexus 10 is an excellent tablet, I highly recommend it. I also recommend the newest Galaxy tab 10.1 from here . The 16 gigabyte is 550 but the tablet is absolutely amazing. With either of these tablets I'm sure he'll enjoy them

    sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Thanks for your reply! The Galaxy 10.1 was the other one I was looking at but the specs for the Nexus 10 came back so much higher for the screen res, etc I am leaning towards it. I can find the Galaxy at a lower cost so I'd love to save money but not necessarily if it'll be that big of a difference. What is your opinion on how they match up?

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    But it really should be mentioned that the new version of the Nexus 10 will, quite possibly, be coming out in the next few days, or maybe next week. You would want to wait a few days, I think. Even though the current model is perfectly fine.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Really?! I didn't know a new one was coming out. His birthday is 12/4 so I have a little time yet. Does anyone know what the new one will bring?

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Quote Originally Posted by tess1977 View Post
    Really?! I didn't know a new one was coming out. His birthday is 12/4 so I have a little time yet. Does anyone know what the new one will bring?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Honestly at this point no one really knows, that said there is a Google Play event this week so you may want to wait at least until the weekend before making your choice. If the new one is not announced by then go ahead and pick up your choice.

    Seems like a lot of places have the current N10 discounted so either way you go it's a solid tablet.
  7. #7  
    DroidArmy's Avatar

    Posts
    603 Posts
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Quote Originally Posted by tess1977 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! The Galaxy 10.1 was the other one I was looking at but the specs for the Nexus 10 came back so much higher for the screen res, etc I am leaning towards it. I can find the Galaxy at a lower cost so I'd love to save money but not necessarily if it'll be that big of a difference. What is your opinion on how they match up?

    Posted via Android Central App
    For your situation, I would recommend the Nexus 10. The updates will be faster, the speed is really good and it has a better price. If you already have some Samsung products, then I recommend the galaxy tab 10.1 because it will be a similar experience.

    sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Quote Originally Posted by djm7541 View Post
    But it really should be mentioned that the new version of the Nexus 10 will, quite possibly, be coming out in the next few days, or maybe next week. You would want to wait a few days, I think. Even though the current model is perfectly fine.
    The current model is very fast. The new model will be very super fast. And the edges around the screen will probably be a bit more narrow. And then some other stuff.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Thanks for all of the great replies! We have the Samsung Note II right now for phones. Hopefully the new one will be coming out like this week and I can take a look at that. No one locally has one to look at. Walmart has the galaxy 10.1. I'll be calling Best Buy to see if they have the Nexus 10 on hand.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    I started with the following:
    an original Kindle Fire;
    an original Nexus 7
    I also have an HTC Droid DNA as my current smartphone & have had an HTC Thunderbolt & original Motorola Droid.

    I decided I wanted a larger screen tablet and considered long and hard between: newest Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 10, and one of the Samsung 10 inch tables.
    Played with the Nexus and Samsung devices in store for a while. Then studied the specs for a long while.

    Then I narrowed it down to the newest Fire HDX or the Nexus 10. Both had very comparable specs and I am a very heavy Amazon content user (Prime, Kindle books, Amazon instant video).
    In the end, I decided that, even though I could get a 64Gb version of the newest Fire, I really enjoyed the pure Google Android experience of my Nexus 7 and wanted the larger screen device to be extremely functional for work utilities and not just reading books, watching vids, web surfing and email checking.

    So I went with the Nexus 10; figured that the newer one would be beyond my budget (I wanted to spend under $500) and went with the current one.

    I am extremely pleased, The screen is absolutely mind-blowing, speakers are quite loud, sound is good, and with various "office" suite utilities that I already had (either from Google Play or Amazon Kindle apps), it is very much a work device, but still lets me enjoy frivolity.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Help Me Choose the Best Android Tablet for the $

    Thanks cegabq! That's one of the biggest reasons I'm leaning towards the Nexus 10, for the screen. He will want to watch football & racing on it and I want to make sure he has a nice screen to watch it on. My poor hubby works 12 hours a day, 7 days a week on third shift so this is how he watches his sports.

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM
  2. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Options for Builtin Calendar Widget
    By MrMLK in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 11:04 PM
  3. Best kernel for SG Tab 10.1 3G?
    By David Santos2 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
  4. Verizon Galaxy Note 2 - help its driving me crazyyyy
    By robinhelenehebert in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM
  5. help understanding google drive app.
    By broadleaf in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

B