Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default N10 Kit Kat Impressions

I thought we could use a dedicated thread to this. I haven't got my OTA yet but based on other people's comments im severely disappointed in what it contains. To me the Nexus 10 represents a premium experience and i would expect it to get everything, including parts of the update that maybe the N4 wouldnt get, because it is top tier. But now that i understand the update not only causes some disturbance in menu areas but it also doesn't include the GEL, i am deeply disappointed. I would expect this tablet to get more of the new Kit Kat and GEL. The GEL especially seems like it would belong on a 10 inch tablet to make the most of the screen real estate with the transparency. Im not saying this is a make or break deal but its just a big let down. I think i will hold off on installing it even after it finally hits my N10.

To anyone who already got the update, i would like to hear about your impressions, especially those of you who have had it longer than others.
    crxssi likes this.

Default Re: N10 Kit Kat Impressions

I've been fine with it. GEL is very easy to install on you own. The settings menu layout is weird. Just don't get why they did that.

All in all still a good experience on my end but most of the changes with kitkat are under the hood. I might be looking to buy whatever Google comes out with next with the big factor being price point. The n10 was easily justified in price as it had specs the majority of the market hadn't (the screen) not sure if what they bring out next will have the same advantage.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

ROM
    OEM Unlock + Root

4.4 on the N10 is different but not bad.

I just got 4.4, I don't visit this forum much and had no idea an update was coming. I had actually been meaning to stop by and ask about my tablet since I haven't been able to watch youtube videos without them stopping and pausing as if they can't load fast enough (but they do load just fine on my (wireless) laptop). Anyways, 4.4 downloaded and the first thing I did was check youtube. I only tired one video and it seemed fine. It was buffered way further ahead of where I was in the video, so that was promising. However, my reason for being here is The Simpsons Tapped Out. It always ran a little slow on my tablet, but just fine on my Droid Bionic. Since I got 4.4 it's become so slow as to be almost unusable. Clicking on a character and having to wait 4 or 5 seconds for the dialogue box to pup up or having to click on a building 5 or 6 times to get it to clear.

Is anyone else having this issue? I saw one other person write about it on another forum. I'm hoping more people speak up about it and either Google will fix whatever is wrong or EA/Simpsons will put out a release in the next few days...or someone here can help me fix it.
    Also, I should mention that almost nothing is running in the background, at least not that I can see.
    Thanked by:

Experiencing the same exact problem. Very disappointed that Google would release this update
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

So far, it seems like my battery life is a bit better. But I am also having freezeups when trying to launch Plants vs. Zombies 2 where it just sits there forever and then takes forever to kill and I never can get it to work, then have to reboot to get it to launch. Never had this issue with any program prior to 4.4.... This cycle has repeated three times so far over three days, so it is not just a fluke.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Got my OTA 2 days ago as soon as I arrived in Texas from Florida. Since then I have been experiencing sluggishness with many apps esp. Chrome. Often I click on one thing after a few seconds of no response I try something else, then up to 30 seconds later the first click event finally happens usually interrupting what I have moved on to. Seems to chewing through battery life too. My Nexus 10 just doesn't feel right anymore. I hope Google fixes this soon! Almost glad my Galaxy Nexus is not getting this update.

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Now I launched Firefox and did a search and the tablet locked up solid. Would do absolutely nothing and had to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reboot and recover. Again, have never had that happen before 4.4.

I am liking this update less and less.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Not Happy! Significantly slower.
    My speed test program history shows that I am 3 to 4 times slower since the update. From 11.2 to 15. to 3.2 to 4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
    I've been fine with it. GEL is very easy to install on you own. The settings menu layout is weird. Just don't get why they did that.

Posted via Android Central App
    Can we talk about where one gets GEL on their own? ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Denny779 View Post
    My speed test program history shows that I am 3 to 4 times slower since the update. From 11.2 to 15. to 3.2 to 4.1.
    Just checked on Speedtest for the first time since getting KitKat and got 58mbps down and 21 up. I never got that wifi speed before.

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Can we talk about where one gets GEL on their own? ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

And yea I should stop calling it GEL until google calls it that. The nexus 5 launcher can be found at the link above. hosted by another blog site so its as safe as you're gonna get without Alex giving it to you since hes got an UK accent, how can you not trust that?

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Denny779 View Post
    We shall assume you are talking about WiFi speed, not tablet speed. There are LOTS of factors that can affect that, many of which have nothing to do with the tablet. You didn't specify any necessary data to form any conclusion, whatsoever.

I only use "G" and I just tested the N10-1 with 4.4 at 15Mbs down and 8 up using speedtest.net app to DC while about 1 foot from the router (WRT54GL running Toastman Tomato connected to Cox). It should be 22Mbs to max out G so yeah, something seems wrong. Repeated the test and got similar results. There is nothing else on my chosen channel (wifi analyzer). On my wired Linux desktop with speedtest.net to DC I am getting 32 down and 8 up (repeated twice), so my Internet is not the limiting factor. I can't supply any data about speed tests on the N10-1 prior to 4.4, because I don't have any data.

Anyone else noticing issues with WiFi speeds?

Yes I'm referring to WIFI speeds. I have Time Warner. My router is a D-Link Dir 655. I use the Ookla Speedtest app. (same company who runs speedtest.net) on the Nexus.
    I have 4 tests taken on different dates on my Nexus before the update they were 11.60mps down 1.2mps up; 11.60mps down 1.2mps up; 20.99 down 1.19 up; 14.98 down 1.17 up.
    My OTA update was yesterday. I hadn't run a test for over a month, but after the update I did two tests they were 4.08mps down 1.12 up & 3.70mps down 1.07 up. Today two tests 4.35mps down 1.05 up & 1.16 up.
    I usually use my HP Envy laptop when at home and travel with the Nexus. It is almost always between 15 and 16msp down and 1.1 up on the Time Warner speedtest site. I just ran my laptop with the speedtest.net site and it registered 12.6mps down & 1.1 up. About the same as the Nexus before the update

Not necessarily a disappointment with KitKat's features, but the ongoing lag and stutter and redraws that the N10 exhibits. I was hoping Project Svelte would have smoothed out the experience. Switched to Nova Launcher a while ago and still get 3-5 second blank home screens. The GEL seems to handle redraw better but the frame rate is INSUFFERABLY slow, especially when swiping to Google Now. Might go back to stock launcher to see how it handles.

TJH

Well I just got my Nexus 10 so I really don't know what 4.3 looked like. I don't see anything special really. I was really disappointed that they didn't include the google now launcher.

I've had this problem also (see post #4). Before the update, play was smooth and pleasant. Now it's an exercise in frustration. I've had the game crash several times, and even had Android crash once. My N10 rebooted in the middle of playing. It wasn't a big surprise because things got so jerky, I was expecting the game to crash. It's like I'm back to playing on my crappy phone again. I'm sure EA and Google will point the finger at each other, but it would be nice if they can figure it out. If Tapped Out is having this problem, I can't believe that there aren't other apps that are having the same issues.

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gwhockey View Post
    I've had this problem also (see post #4). Before the update, play was smooth and pleasant. Now it's an exercise in frustration. I've had the game crash several times, and even had Android crash once. My N10 rebooted in the middle of playing. It wasn't a big surprise because things got so jerky, I was expecting the game to crash. It's like I'm back to playing on my crappy phone again. I'm sure EA and Google will point the finger at each other, but it would be nice if they can figure it out. If Tapped Out is having this problem, I can't believe that there aren't other apps that are having the same issues.
    These issues sound a lot like a memory leak- and it scrambles to try and free more RAM, which takes time and causes performance problems, then it eventually just has no more it can find and either the program crashes/exits, there is a lockup, or a reboot. Just speculation, of course.

Ironically, the problems I was having with Plants vs. Zombies 2 has seemed to clear up and hasn't shown the issue since my last post about it, about a week ago. No updates for it or the N10, though. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    These issues sound a lot like a memory leak- and it scrambles to try and free more RAM, which takes time and causes performance problems, then it eventually just has no more it can find and either the program crashes/exits, there is a lockup, or a reboot. Just speculation, of course.

Ironically, the problems I was having with Plants vs. Zombies 2 has seemed to clear up and hasn't shown the issue since my last post about it, about a week ago. No updates for it or the N10, though. Hmm.
    Does your show your missing ram to. After the kit kat update is shows I have 1.1gb of ram total. i factory reset it and have no apps and still says it

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    Does your show your missing ram to. After the kit kat update is shows I have 1.1gb of ram total. i factory reset it and have no apps and still says it
    It is not really missing, it is just the way it is presented to the user. Memory is complex- there is application caching, application suspension, disk caching, OS reserved, and then memory tied up by active apps, memory that is shared between apps (libraries and such), and data areas, and memory that is swapped (virtual memory- something I don't think Android does). There is no single one metric with measuring memory that really makes sense.

It is not really missing, it is just the way it is presented to the user. Memory is complex- there is application caching, application suspension, disk caching, OS reserved, and then memory tied up by active apps, memory that is shared between apps (libraries and such), and data areas, and memory that is swapped (virtual memory- something I don't think Android does). There is no single one metric with measuring memory that really makes sense.
    Well how much does yours say. Mine I added up to get my total. This is with android 4.4, factory reset and deleted all the widgets. Im really worried something is broke here. Im loosing sleep over it. N10 Kit Kat Impressions-20131203_182720.jpg

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

At the moment, mine says 628MB used and 470MB free. You should stop worrying about it
    Thanked by:
    Tyler Lietz likes this.

At the moment, mine says 628MB used and 470MB free. You should stop worrying about it
    So it's confirmed that its a Nexus 10 kit kat thing. Thank you so much. I was positive my tablet was broken and was really upset. They must have reserved even more because of the exynos 5 instability. You can tell it was a bad processor because Samsung quickly abandoned it for its octo core and Google announced once they run out of stock on the nexus 10s they wont restock.

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    So it's confirmed that its a Nexus 10 kit kat thing. Thank you so much. I was positive my tablet was broken and was really upset. They must have reserved even more because of the exynos 5 instability. You can tell it was a bad processor because Samsung quickly abandoned it for its octo core and Google announced once they run out of stock on the nexus 10s they wont restock.
    I don't believe they "abandoned" it, they just moved on to higher number of cores because that is what marketing dictated (and what consumers THINK they need, when in reality, it gives almost no advantage on a phone or tablet). And I don't think the apparent reduction in total memory has anything to do with the N10 or the CPU, it is just a change in the way Android reports memory. Remember how I was saying that it is complex and there are a million ways to display what is going on and no single metric is going to make much sense? This would be what I mean.
    Devlyn16 likes this.

I'm hoping for that fix real soon. I just got my wife an N10. I had to do each upgrade separately--from 4.2 to 4.2.2 to 4.3 to 4.4. It's set for autosync but she only got one bookmark out of many. Mine seems to have less available battery reserve than it did before and I'm using battery doctor to optimize. I'm see many different software upgrade releases have bugs so it's not just Google. I don't understand why they don't do longer beta testing before releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast