Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Slow WiFi after 4.4 upgrade on Nexus 10 (solved)

I have a Nexus 10 and have the same problem with a slow wifi connection. I've read all the posts here and have tried everything, but the link speed still shows 24 mps. My Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone is on the same wifi and router and it shows a link speed of 72 mps. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Here's what worked for me.

First the setup: I have a Nexus 10 rooted, but with nothing really departing from the stock Android 4.4.2 image other than Titanium Backup.

The issue: Everything was fine up until a week ago. Noticed my network was cutting out. Checked all internet connectivity between the tablet and the net. Finally set a desktop to constantly ping the tablet (Try this! At a command prompt, type ping -t [tablet address]) and that's where I saw it: The network connection on the tablet was dropping, then coming back for a bit and then dropping again. I tried killing random tasks and rebooting. Same behavior after a few moments from boot-up. My location services are off and there's no other battery-saving anything running.

My solution:
    Having exhausted all other suggestions here and elsewhere, I was totally out of ideas and started thinking about faults beyond the tablet. My wireless router is a dual-band router though I don't really use the 5gHz (till now - read on). Everything wireless in the house -- which isn't all that much, mind you -- uses the 2.4gHz band. For the heck of it, I created a wireless profile for the 5gHz band and forced the tablet onto it. The moment I did this, the dropping vanished! As I've typed and revised this post over 15 to 20 minutes, I've had the desktop pinging the tablet. Not one dropped packet.

So today's theory is that Android 4.4.2 wireless doesn't aggressively cling to its wireless connection and if the wireless router is even a bit crowded, the tablet drops the link.

Thumbs up Re: Slow WiFi after 4.4 upgrade on Nexus 10 (solved)

I un checked wifi optimization, rebooted and got 51.09 Download and 17.33 upload so pretty chuffed with that.

Same problem on my gs4 active after installing 4.4.2. Found that it's the bluetooth
    If bluetooth is off: no problem
    If bluetooth is paired: no problem
    If bluetooth is unpaired: 1/6 wifi speed available

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for this thread Billeee! After the 4.4.2 update my Nexus 10's WiFi speed was abysmal - my download speed was 2.29 Mbps on the 5Ghz band.

I tried a million different changes including doing a factory reset with zero success.

After changing the location mode from "High accuracy" to "Battery saving" my download speed went up to 62.59 Mbps! This is in line with my N10 pre-4.4.2 speed on 5Ghz (it's the only device in my house on the 5Ghz band).

An interesting side note: My upload speed never changed from the original ~ 10 - 12 Mbps.
    Last edited by Angus66; 07-07-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Clarity & spelling

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

N was the culprit on mine.
    All fixed now

Same issue here. Angus66' solution "fixed" it for me.

Definitely a bug! Running stock 4.4.3 on my N7 LTE (4.4.4 not available on the LTE model, go figure)...

Noticed I was getting significantly lower link speeds (13/24mbps) on my N7 than on my N5 (135mbps). Turned off High Accuracy and set it to Battery Saving, and BAM suddenly faster speeds on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks.

Is there an issue open with Android development for this that can be voted on?

Quote Originally Posted by richyhx1 View Post
    Same problem on my gs4 active after installing 4.4.2. Found that it's the bluetooth
    If bluetooth is off: no problem
    If bluetooth is paired: no problem
    If bluetooth is unpaired: 1/6 wifi speed available

Hope this helps
    This was the solution for me! Turn bluetooth on and my nexus barely stays connected to my wifi. Turn off bluetooth and it jumps back on like a champion.

Easy 3 bars without bluetooth. Barely 1 with bluetooth.

Thanks man!

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I'm having the same awful WiFi speeds, & connection dropping, on my N10 & it's gotten to the point where I can't deal with it any longer. Getting .5Mbps consistently. I'd like to pull 4.4.4 off & restore 4.2 or whatever version it originally came with. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about doing that? Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12