Slow WiFi after 4.4 upgrade on Nexus 10 (solved)

Billeeee

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Immediately after the 4.4 upgrade I noticed that my WiFi was significantly (25%) slower and very choppy. Three other wireless devices on the same network still run at the normal speed. I have done all of the normal troubleshooting steps like resetting the router and modem, rebooting the Nexus 10, DNS, IP, etc.

One of the speed test apps I used has a graph of download speed vs. time. It shows the speed drop off to almost zero every few seconds in a very regular pattern. It almost looks like a buffer is filling up and transfer is delayed until it can empty. The problem occurs on both 2.4 and 5 GHz and is not dependent on signal strength or distance from the router.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Slow WiFi after 4.4 upgrade on Nexus 10

Have you tried wiping the cache partition?

• If your tablet is on, power it off.
  • Press and hold Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down at the same time for several seconds. You will see the wordStart with an arrow drawn around it.
  • Press Volume Down twice, until you see the option Recovery mode.
  • Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You should see an image of an Android with a red exclamation point.
  • While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
  • Use the Volume keys to scroll to wipe cache partition and press Power to select it.
  • When complete, highlight reboot system now, and press Power​.

Billeeee

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the input B. Diddy. It was worth trying based on the symptoms but it didn't fix the problem. Any other thoughts?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Do you have it set to 2.4, 5 or auto? Mine works best on auto.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try changing the wifi channel on the router? Check the local traffic using Wifi Analyzer to see if there are a lot of nearby routers using the same channel.

Billeeee

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Solved it !

The culprit was location services mode being in "battery saving". If I switch to either of the other two modes it runs solid as a rock. Ping drops from 40 to 15ms, speed goes from 14 to 23 Mbs, and the speed is constant over time. I tried switching back and forth several times and I can repeat the effect.

This only started after the 4.4 upgrade so there may be a bug.

Thanks to all who replied to my problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Interesting! I have Battery Saving mode on for my 2013 N7, and I haven't noticed any issues like that yet. Will watch out for it. Thanks for the followup!

coxyben73

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Solved it !

The culprit was location services mode being in "battery saving". If I switch to either of the other two modes it runs solid as a rock. Ping drops from 40 to 15ms, speed goes from 14 to 23 Mbs, and the speed is constant over time. I tried switching back and forth several times and I can repeat the effect.

Hiya! I've been suffering from the same problem! How do I get to 'location services' to change the settings? Cheers

Sindrey

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm a new Nexus owner and have experienced this.

It would say it was connected but constantly drop signal and not load web pages/play store.

The tablet was on Android 4.2.2 when first started and one if the first things I did was get the latest OTA. After that the wifi was terrible. I did think it was a faulty tablet until I decided to root it, then eventually unroot it. I was then left with the tablet in the state I first had it, Android 4.2.2. The WiFi is now brilliant. I'm not updating until I know 100% this has been fixed. Its a shame because Im the type who gets fidgety if I know there's an update out and I can't have it! I must be up to date! Haha.

Any help would be appreciated.

anon154738

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Solved it !

Dude! I've been looking for a solution for awhile to this! I'm currently waiting on a replacement divice because of this! I did not try the battery saving mode! Ugh!

Posted via Android Central App

zx6guy

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site

I recently purchased a 2013 Nexus 7 which had terrible wifi throughput. On average it would only see about 2m while all other devices in the apartment including a 2012 N7 saw my full internet speed. Google forums suggested switching the router from B/G/N to B/G. This increased my throughput but its disappointing that I can't take advantage of "N". I hope google looks into this.

ChrisSampson87

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Solved it !

For me the problem is only solved by switching to 'Device only' in location mode. Connection constantly drops in the other two.

Aaron Wilbers

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I've tried everything to improve the WiFi on this device and have just learned to accept that the WiFi is just horrific. Worse I've ever experienced. Other than that I like the device, I just can't use it to stream wireless HD video from my home server reliably. I've tried multiple routers, and the WiFi at work isn't any better. Oh well. I got it cheap.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe it, I was hit with the exact same problem. I was getting 0.5 Mb/s on G with the setting on and 4 Mb/s with it off. EIGHT HUNDRED PERCENT FASTER. THIS IS WHILE ON WALL POWER. Google, get your act together, this is a huge problem!

Then I rebooted the tablet and got 17Mb/s down 8Mb/s up (hitting the max on up of my ISP). Yeesh.

Last edited:

jeffreyh51

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

You've got to be kidding me!!! I've been trying to find an answer to this problem (day & night) on my AT&T S4 since the 4.4.2 upgrade.

Everybody seems to think they've got an answer to this issue, but this is the only one that worked (at least for me)! Thanks so much. My S4 now downloads at full speed again, and has much lower pings, as it had prior to the update.

Now an editorial comment:
WTF!!?? Why do I have to have all location features enabled in order to get my download speeds back? Shouldn't be related, should it? This wasn't necessary before, so why now? Now, in order to secure my best download speeds, I'm forced to make a decision between speed and battery. I repeat...WTF!!??

Thanks again, though. This one was driving me crazy. I was certain that a full factory reset would do it, but not so much. This did.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

You've got to be kidding me!!! I've been trying to find an answer to this problem (day & night) on my AT&T S4 since the 4.4.2 upgrade

Interestingly, although it bit me on the Nexus 10, it hasn't on the Nexus 5 yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey