1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Excessive Data Usage with Nexus 10

Bought the Nexus 10 in June. We have 5G/month on our data plan. With two laptops and two phones, we never exceeded that amount. Actually only used 3-4G most of the time. Since the Nexus, our usage is up to 10G/month. What can I tweek or shut off to reduce this usage. If we can't find a way to cut this down, we are going to get rid of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated, because we really like the Nexus.

Default Re: Excessive Data Usage with Nexus 10

I'd suggest just disconnect the nexus when not being it to be connected to the web.

Posted via Android Central App

What apps are using the most data?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It looks like Chrome is using the most.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

We are doing this and now also disconnecting the WiFi when not in use. If the Nexus stays on at night, it keeps downloading data all night.

It's happening with my Nexus 10 as well. Ordinarily I wouldn't care since it's wifi only, but I was astounded that Google Play Store, Chrome, and other apps could just eat up data. After an hour something like 100MB has been used up, and I'm not downloading files or streaming anything. This is particularly bothersome on my 4G wifi device, which allows 5GB per month (before I have to pay for more).

I'm in the process of testing various settings. I told it the 4G box was a hotspot, let's see if that helps tame it. I've turned off "notifications" on nearly everything. This means it also won't check email automatically, but that's not too important as it'll do so when I start the app. I'll post my findings.

Well, an update from my tests. On my 4G wifi box, which I've now told my N10 is a hotspot device, it seems to be behaving itself.
    Excessive Data Usage with Nexus 10-screenshot_2013-12-03-20-01-57.jpg
    This was from a 70 minute session and as you can see it didn't use an unusual amount of data.
    My own laptop computer only used some 30MB or so in a 3 hour session.

Last night I tried it on the wifi at the library for some 2 hours. It used close to 100MB, but 30MB of that was app updates.
    The rest of it was browsing in Google Play Store for books, music, reading magazine articles in the Newsstand, etc.
    The Google Play Store really eats up data, so does Google Plus and Facebook, largely from all the images they load.
    I did not play any music samples or stream any music, YouTube, and so forth.
    I've got notifications turned off now except for Gmail, Email, and Google Play Store, and no widgets like "Recommended for You" which I suspect eats up a lot of data all by itself.

So... maybe it had to download some updates here and there that it didn't tell me about. Past major jumps in usage were for big things like the recent KitKat update.