Google Nexus 10 Tablet - Android 4.4 OTA Update issues

Rick Bath

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have performed the Android 4.4 OTA update which stated that it was completed.

Upon reboot, it got stuck at the 4 circle logo and never booted up.

I have done the following:

1) Wipe Data / Factory reset
2) Download the official factory image of Android 4.4 and flashed it (./flash-all.sh)
During the progress it stated
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
3) Download the official factory image of Android 4.3 and flashed it (./flash-all.sh)
It also gave the same error as stated above
4) fastboot flash boot boot.img
5) fastboot erase system
6) fastboot flash system system.img

Now, its still stuck at the "X" screen
I have read up online and it all says to download the official image and flash it but dont seem to work in my case

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android 4.4 OTA Update issues

Well I'm new to Android, but not tech. I'm having some issues updating to 4.4 myself, but I haven't wiped mine yet and that's probably it. I just updated to 4.3 and not trying 4.4. OK, on to your problem. Have you tried to install it using adb sideload? If not I'd try that and if that doesn't work, you might try installing a custom recovery ROM. Something like Clockmod or TRWP? Is your device rooted? You might try that. Of course there is some danger to that. Oh you know what, I just thought of something else. There is a Nexus Root Toolkit by WubFresh and it can do stuff from rooting your device to installing apk's to full backups. One of it's functions is to pull you out of a loop and/or soft brick. Actually, I'd try that first. You can get it here: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8 | WugFresh

Rick Bath

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for some of your inputs..

ADB does not seem to detect the device although fastboot does.
Yes, my device is rooted and with clockmod recovery

I tried installing a custom rom and i get the following errors:
archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt

Thanks for the link to the root toolkit. I am running on Mac so will need to grab my old laptop to run that on.

Any other insights will be useful

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

OK, so you're fine since you have a custom ROM, but I do have an idea to fix your adb sideload problem. First, this is how to sideload just in case: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/1...date-a-nexus-without-root-or-custom-recovery/
So, you said sideload doesn't work for you.....well this fix has helped a lot of people, so try this: Fixing adb "Device not found" with Nexus 7/Android devices in Recovery Mode

Yeah, Windows would be good. I don't know if you know how (I don't), but if you know Linux, then that would be another way to do it. I'm learning it, but I'm not going to brick my device trying to use those skills yet. At any rate, if you can get the sideload to work, it's VERY easy.

Rick Bath

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Well, i have managed to get my hands on a windows machine and have installed the root toolkit and worked like a charm.

I have tried the sideload method and that didnt seem to work too.

Many thanks for your help!! :)

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Sure, NP. Glad that something worked! Now, I have to get mine to work, that is get Android 4.4 on it and I'm going to have to do what I didn't want to do and that's wipe it, return it to stock and then flash it to 4.4....sigh.

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

I fixed my problem. I had to do this in order to do it, but it worked. You'll want to bookmark this, because if all else fails, this will work. Note, you'll need 'fastboot' to work in order to do this. You'll also want to make a note that if done wrong, you'll brick your device, but as long as you have the SDK tools, and you're in the right folder with the Android .tgz update unzipped, you'll be fine. It's actually very easy to do if you have the type of knowledge that you have. So, if nothing else works, this will! The reason is, you're completely wiping your whole device and then pushing the files that you want back on. One last thing, make sure the Android update file you have, is the right one, because this will override any safety features that our tablets have. Just keep this in mind if all else fails. http://androidforums.com/android-sy...nexus-factory-image-manually.html#post5702530

Rick Bath

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Yeah i guess we all learn once we have semi-bricked the device - in my case its the issue of bootloop

dave1216

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

Noticed in Play Books I cannot turn pages with a swipe. Noted elsewhere you need to wipe system cache but was a little wary to do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci