1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Laptop charging

Does this tablet not charge through a laptop like the Samsung tablets, and if so is it all Android tablets that don't charge through USB on laptops like the iPads that can?

Default Re: Laptop charging

It will charge through a USB connection, but probably not when in use. USB charging is very slow and would not likely keep up if you were actively using the tablet.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    It will charge through a USB connection, but probably not when in use. USB charging is very slow and would not likely keep up if you were actively using the tablet.
    The "normal" way to charge the N10 is through USB charging. But a computer/laptop USB connection offers only a fraction of the power than the supplied USB charger does.

Just clarifying
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    2,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
    Does this tablet not charge through a laptop like the Samsung tablets
    It should

and if so is it all Android tablets that don't charge through USB on laptops like the iPads that can?
    You can't generalize like that. It is completely up to the manufacturer and has nothing to do with Android. The Xoom, for example, has no ability to charge through USB, which was very annoying.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This is what I don't like about the manufactures, the USB charging doesn't function properly when plugged into a laptop, and if it does you can't use the tablet and it's incredibly slow.

When I travel (which I do frequently) I don't want to stand by a charging station, I want to sit in a chair and charge the tablet through my laptop as needed. Right now I have a 2014 Note 10.1 and plugged in using the proper connections it takes 8 hours to charge from 0 - 100% and 4 hours from 75% - 100% through my outlet. Whereas my iPad Mini and iPad 4 take 3 hours from 0-100% using an outlet or my laptop while still using the tablets. Gah, failure on android manufacturers part.

Global Posts
    2,208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
    When I travel (which I do frequently) I don't want to stand by a charging station, I want to sit in a chair and charge the tablet through my laptop as needed.
    I have not tried using a laptop because I use a tiny Anker portable charger which works great with the N10. And that also works with my phone, bluetooth headset, mp3 player, etc.