Unable to Get Flash Player Working Nexus 10 KIT KAT

vienna01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Unable to Get Flash Player Working Nexus 10 KIT KAT
I connected my PC to my Nexus 10.
I downloaded Flash_ player_ 11.1.102.59.apk and also install_ flash_ player_ics (10).apk to my PC

I used my PC to move these 2 files to my DOWNLOAD folder on the Nexus 10
I used an Android File app to see the contents of my download folder[on Nexus]
I clicked on Flash_ player_ 11.1.102.59.apk on my NEXUS-IT DID NOT INSTALL
I then clicked on install_ flash_ player_ics (10).apk IT APPEARED TO INSTALL NORMALLY however when I clicked on OPEN label on bottom of the install panel, I showed a dark screen with an object in the center that was labeled I needed to install a plug in to view the object.
At that point I assumed that FLASH had not installed.

So after I installed flash, I ran Firefox.
Because the Instructions said I needed to set up PLUG INS
I touched the 3 dots to get a menu.
It gave me several choices including SETTINGS
I selected SETTINGS.
There were several labels under SETTINGS
The only place with a PLUGINS label was under DISPLAY. I selected DISPLAY
Under PLUGINS label there were 3 choices "Enable " "Tap to Play" and "Disable"
I selected ENABLE
I then went to a site with a FLASH object [It is the Adobe Flash Software site.]to verify Flash was installed.
It has a flash object that I can see with my PC so I know it is there.
It did not display the flash object for me . It showed a place holder image with a label that says "need a plug in to view"[or something like that]
I assume that verifies FLASH is NOT installed on my NEXUS 10.

I'm confused because:
I have a Flash Player Icon showing among all the other apps installed on my Nexus. This should indicate it is installed

I used the instructions here:
How to Install Flash On Your Android Jelly Bean Tablet or Phone
I also followed these instructions. THEY ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME.
How to manually install Adobe Flash Player on your Android device | Android Central
Any ideas on where I went wrong. Suggestions for installing Flash on my Nexus?
ADDED: Folks replied that Flash doesn't work with Firefox & KitKat but Dolphin does work with Flash. I have no problem using Dolphin, I just need to learn a new tool. It may not have the wealth of plug-ins that FF does. Just need to live with that.

Last edited:

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You might want to try installing Dolphin browser and enable the browser's flash support to see if it works. if it does, you'll know you have a browser problem, and if it doesn't then perhaps it an OS or UI problem.

Not much to go on, but....

good luck.

Craig Botterill

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Kit kat killed the functionality of my side-loaded flash player in Firefox, so I've installed Dolphin just to view flash sites, and it works fine. I did have to uninstall and then re-install flash after installing the Dolphin browser.

vienna01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Kit kat killed the functionality of my side-loaded flash player in Firefox, so I've installed Dolphin just to view flash sites, and it works fine. I did have to uninstall and then re-install flash after installing the Dolphin browser.
THANK YOU!
Great-I'll use Dolphin. What do I have to do to make Dolphin automatically display flash sites?
Do I have re-install flash with Dolphin? If it isn't too much could you give me a step by step or refer me to one posted that I can use with Dolphin?
It seems that as many as half the sites I look at use flash still. I hate to use Win 7 on my PC for them.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Download Dolphin. Once Dolphin is installed, you must download and install Flash.

You will have to sideload Flash, as it is no longer available from the Playstore. First enable "unknown sources from Android's "settings/security/". Then proceed to download it from Adobe flash archive. Make sure you choose the last (highest number) version for Android. (Scroll down a bit). Unless somethings' changed, the right link reads: "Flash Player 11.1 for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.81)"

Once it is downloaded, you may (depending on your browser) have to launch the APK manually. It will be in your "Downloads" folder. Further more, for flash to work, it has to be enabled in the Browser's settings. From within the browser, Go to /settings/web content/ and set it to "on demand".

This will allow flash to work, and you will be able to select whether or not to load the content (by tapping a little down arrow), so you can avoid downloading the adverts. The results should look like this:

This is Youtube in desktop mode, using Dolphin and Flash. The desired video is loaded, and to the right of the video, the advert is not.

Screenshot_2013-07-31-23-14-46.jpg.

Edit: Sorry for the somewhat generic answer, but I thought it good to make sure anyone reading the post could follow the instructions.

Last edited:

vienna01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Deleted.
Initially I put the string /setting/webcontent/ in the URL field. Thought it was like Firefox "hidden" settings.
Since that didn't work, I looked at the documentation. DUHH!
And found settings and set Flash always on[to start] later I'll set it on demand.
THANKS ALL FOR HELP>

vienna01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you VERY MUCH. I believe that I did exactly as you described, but I will re-do everything just to be sure. When I was unsuccessful with Dophin & FLASH, I tried a browser call boat. I don't think it fixed my FLASH problem, but It was several days ago when I tried. I think you were telling me that I could use the youtube post of Oxygene to see a FLASH object that I can test my success. In the example, I think that the FLASH object was the one in the upper right. Correct?

By the way I was a fan of Jarre in the 1960s. I collected vinyl records of several of his compositions. I don't know if I still have them. Jarre got me interested in electronic music [I think that the definition for electronic music has changedisn't it a type of dance music ? I am too old to keep up with trends]

vienna01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Supposedly Flash is once again working in Firefox with the 27 release in Android 4.4:

Firefox Notes - Mobile
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=935676

I looked at the LINK. Do I need to get a special version of Flash to use with Firefox? If so can you point me to it? Also, do I make it know to FF the same way for plug-ins or is it an extension/add-on. {I don't know the difference, but FF has different places for each type.}

I'll post my results. Thanks for the lead. I use my Hackintosh [MacOSX on a PC] most of the time. I have a Nexus 10 without any cell phone capability. I use it at home or at hot spots[typically places where I have to wait to meet with someone] I plan to use it as a GPS. Have'nt gotten around to it-story of my life With Flash working I will use my Nexus 10 more.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the LINK. Do I need to get a special version of Flash to use with Firefox?

No, just the Android Flash

If so can you point me to it? Also, do I make it know to FF the same way for plug-ins or is it an extension/add-on. {I don't know the difference, but FF has different places for each type.}

Firefox will automatically detect if Flash is installed and use it. There are no other addons needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888