1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Crazy freeze up with loud buzzing alarm sound?

Got a new Nexus 10 for Xmas and love it so far! Running KitKat. Have had a couple random reboots, but I understand that has been an issue with this tablet.

However, tonight was playing an online game, Golf Star, and the screen suddenly went black and the tablet started making a LOUD buzzing alarm type sound! Not unlike a smoke alarm going off! I could not access anything, home button didn't work, back button same, recent apps button, none of them worked!

Neither could I turn the volume down and trying to power down the tablet wasn't working either. The battery was not low, either, about 75% full.

The noise was loud enough to scare the cats and be uncomfortable for hubby and I to hear!

I finally connected it to the pogo cable and held the power button down a long time and then it booted up again and seems to be behaving normally. Even my game progress was saved. But it really scared me! Hate to think of this happening again in a public place, like say the library!!!!

Has anyone had anything like this happen? Should I consider getting a replacement from Google? Really alarmed that this tablet might not be reliable! Too expensive for that!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Default Re: Crazy freeze up with loud buzzing alarm sound?

I've seen this before. Was it ? Because you're definitely not the only one who has has this problem.

Unfortunately, I don't know of (and couldn't find through some searching) any sort of preventative fix. The good news? It seems like, in most cases, it's an isolated event. It's possible the tablet may be alright and will function properly from here on out.

Contacting Google would likely be the next step.
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 01-02-2014 at 03:24 PM.

I notice that game has push notifications that some people say keep coming even when you turn them off. I wonder if one of them is somehow freezing the tablet.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    I've seen this before. Was it ? Because you're definitely not the only one who has has this problem.

Unfortunately, I don't know of (and couldn't find through some searching) any sort of preventative fix. The good news? It seems like, in most cases, it's an isolated event. It's possible the tablet may be alright and will function properly from here on out.

Contacting Google would likely be the next step.
    Yes, that's the noise! Very loud, very disturbing! I guess I'll keep using it, unless it continues to happen. It was purchased from the Play Store, so if it happens again, I'll consider having them replace it.

Sent from my Nook HD+
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 01-02-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I haven't had that happen to me yet on my nexus 10 but have used that app on other devices and it does have a lot of push notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I notice that game has push notifications that some people say keep coming even when you turn them off. I wonder if one of them is somehow freezing the tablet.
    Yes, this is correct, I do get the push notifications from Golf Star even though I turned them off in game settings. Don't mind them that much, they usually are just reminders to log on and get free stuff.

However, I also play the game on a Nexus 7 (since September) and nothing like this has ever happened on *that* tablet. If the game freezes, it does not affect the Nexus 7, I just swipe it out of recent apps and restart the game.

Sent from my Nook HD+