Google maps offline

vomogs

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Can't seem to find a straight answer to this: When using maps offline, I get a "Bonging" sound when approaching a road feature like roundabouts etc. Is there no voice guidance with google maps offline? I activated the voice in the menu, but to no avail.

vomogs

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean FutureKix! When online at home; the voice kicks in to commence the journey. Can you tell me how I "pin" or change the data from text to speech?

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean FutureKix! When online at home; the voice kicks in to commence the journey. Can you tell me how I "pin" or change the data from text to speech?

Settings > Accessibility > Text-to-Speech Options > Google Text-to-Speech Engine > Settings > Install Voice Data > English (US) or (UK) > Download.

Not too complicated... :S

Posted via Android Central App

vomogs

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. It seems I have it already set up for that. still get the direction text coming up. And the stupid bonging sound.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there no voice guidance with google maps offline?

As far as I am aware, there is no guidance (routing) AT ALL when you are offline (no network connection to Google). Did this change? If you off-line cache the map data, you can still use Maps and even see where you are, but can't search and can't route.

vomogs

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
There is guidance! It will route to your destination, with necessary turnoffs and time to each turnoff. In fact,as long as you set it up online and leave it setup, It works fine offline. I'm wondering if I made a mistake in picking up the selected route further along,because Maps sent me in the wrong direction to start with. Once I did pick it up it was fine, except instead of voice at changes of direction, I get a bonging sound. It's true to say you must stick to selected route once offline. Thanks anyway.

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Can other apps "talk" while offline? It might be your download TTS files and not Google Maps. Try using a different app that talks while offline. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, there are tons of TTS apps that work offline and can replace the Google Engine. I think SVOX might still be free, and that one works offline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36