Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google maps offline

Can't seem to find a straight answer to this: When using maps offline, I get a "Bonging" sound when approaching a road feature like roundabouts etc. Is there no voice guidance with google maps offline? I activated the voice in the menu, but to no avail.

Default Re: Google maps offline

Hmm... have you downloaded or "pinned" the english voice data for Google Text to Speech?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Not quite sure what you mean FutureKix! When online at home; the voice kicks in to commence the journey. Can you tell me how I "pin" or change the data from text to speech?

Quote Originally Posted by vomogs View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean FutureKix! When online at home; the voice kicks in to commence the journey. Can you tell me how I "pin" or change the data from text to speech?
    Settings > Accessibility > Text-to-Speech Options > Google Text-to-Speech Engine > Settings > Install Voice Data > English (US) or (UK) > Download.

Not too complicated... :S

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    vomogs 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for that. It seems I have it already set up for that. still get the direction text coming up. And the stupid bonging sound.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,868 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vomogs View Post
    Is there no voice guidance with google maps offline?
    As far as I am aware, there is no guidance (routing) AT ALL when you are offline (no network connection to Google). Did this change? If you off-line cache the map data, you can still use Maps and even see where you are, but can't search and can't route.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
    vomogs 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

There is guidance! It will route to your destination, with necessary turnoffs and time to each turnoff. In fact,as long as you set it up online and leave it setup, It works fine offline. I'm wondering if I made a mistake in picking up the selected route further along,because Maps sent me in the wrong direction to start with. Once I did pick it up it was fine, except instead of voice at changes of direction, I get a bonging sound. It's true to say you must stick to selected route once offline. Thanks anyway.

Hmm. Can other apps "talk" while offline? It might be your download TTS files and not Google Maps. Try using a different app that talks while offline. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, there are tons of TTS apps that work offline and can replace the Google Engine. I think SVOX might still be free, and that one works offline.