Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By dkhmwilliams
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WHy the fuss over 2K display now?

I dont get it, I had been researching this over the internet but never could get a solid answer, until AC's recent post. They have an article talking about samsung making a 4k display, and that their current pro tablets are indeed 2k displays (Samsung toying around with a tablet with a 4K display | Android Central). I checked out the link they supplied and apparently 2560 x 1600 = 2k. The Nexus 10 has had this screen for going on 2 YEARS yet no one attached the term 2 to it. Why is their so much fuss over going 2k then if it has been done 2 years ago?

Default Re: WHy the fuss over 2K display now?

Ummm, you seem to have missed the point of the article... The fuss is about 4K screens, not 'old' 2K ones. Yes, the term '2K' was not really used before, and I'm not sure who's trying to make it happen, but I guess it's just a way to compare to 4K ones. I don't think they're denying that the first high-pixel-density crown lies with the Nexus 10 (you can check AC's review of the tablet all those years ago and confirm it).

PS: If they mention Samsung's Note Pro line is because the article IS about Sammy's leaked tablet. And the LG device is just 'what's new'. Now you see why the Nexus line's upgrade is waaaay overdue.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Ummm, you seem to have missed the point of the article... The fuss is about 4K screens, not 'old' 2K ones. Yes, the term '2K' was not really used before, and I'm not sure who's trying to make it happen, but I guess it's just a way to compare to 4K ones. I don't think they're denying that the first high-pixel-density crown lies with the Nexus 10 (you can check AC's review of the tablet all those years ago and confirm it).

PS: If they mention Samsung's Note Pro line is because the article IS about Sammy's leaked tablet. And the LG device is just 'what's new'. Now you see why the Nexus line's upgrade is waaaay overdue.

No I think u missed the point of my post. The LG G3 was just released and everyone was up in arms about how it has a 2k screen, now the M8 prime and s5 prime are rumored to be in production. I guess I just really wanted to know really why the N10 screen has never been mentioned as having a 2k screen when it does. Sorry if that was difficult to understand
    Last edited by Mac58; 06-06-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Post was wrong

Ooooh, you mean the 'fuss' about 2K screens now being old! Gotcha, sorry.

Well, that's just tech! The thing is, we had hopes for these devices. HIGH hopes. And rumors started flying that both devices were coming out with 4K screens (since Samsung made a racket about their phones being able to record 4K video, it was, for many, a sure thing to come for 2014 models). And then they didn't. 2K screens aren't bad, they're just 'ancient' in terms of tech years, and now people want more, even if they don't need it (Jobs was right by saying there's a limit to where the human eye can differentiate the pixel density).

What this has going for it, though, is that 4K screens are just coming out on phones, and tablets are usually behind that by months. A 4K display on a tablet IS a big deal.
    Mac58 likes this.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts

One thing is for sure, the fuss over 4K is just meaningless marketing hype when it comes to phones and tablets. 2K resolution on a 10" device is already overkill.

For huge TV's (75"+) and large computer monitors (26"+) it can be useful.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    One thing is for sure, the fuss over 4K is just meaningless marketing hype when it comes to phones and tablets. 2K resolution on a 10" device is already overkill.

For huge TV's (75"+) and large computer monitors (26"+) it can be useful.
    I guess it wouldn't be if there was content available in those resolutions and and streaming solutions that would accommodate such a high streaming quality. But as of now, those things don't exist. I couldn't imagine the data consumption of streaming a 4K video on your phone or tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpookDroid likes this.