Replace your Nexus 10 battery

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to "chime in", I bought my original Nexus 10 within the first two weeks that it was available (probably 2 years ago). I had it for about 12 months and the battery would go from about 50% to 0 in an instant. I then contacted Google and they sent me a replacement device . The replacement device has worked perfectly for about 10 months now and yesterday it went from 48% to 0 in an instant.
I called Google support this morning and they are sending me another replacement device!!!
So anyone who has this problem might want to contact Google even if your device is a year old or so. It's obvious that this is an ongoing problem, but Google's support took care of this issue immediately. The whole thing took 5 minutes on the phone and they followed up in another few minutes with an email with all of the replacement and return info. Google continues to impress me with excellent (and knowledgeable) customer support!
And the Nexus 10 is still a solid device as compared to some of the newer tablets!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
That is disappointing to hear. Did you email the people you got the battery from?

Yes, no response yet (it is being done through a friend). As a last resort- we have Nexus 10's wall-mounted at work being used for time entry in certain departments. So I swapped a battery out of one of those with mine (since the ones at work will never be used on battery anyway). So my crisis is over, until the next time. I am going to try and preserve this battery the best I can by using a wall connection whenever possible.

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just to "chime in", I bought my original Nexus 10 within the first two weeks that it was available (probably 2 years ago). I had it for about 12 months and the battery would go from about 50% to 0 in an instant. I then contacted Google and they sent me a replacement device . The replacement device has worked perfectly for about 10 months now and yesterday it went from 48% to 0 in an instant.
I called Google support this morning and they are sending me another replacement device!!!
So anyone who has this problem might want to contact Google even if your device is a year old or so. It's obvious that this is an ongoing problem, but Google's support took care of this issue immediately. The whole thing took 5 minutes on the phone and they followed up in another few minutes with an email with all of the replacement and return info. Google continues to impress me with excellent (and knowledgeable) customer support!
And the Nexus 10 is still a solid device as compared to some of the newer tablets!

What is the number you called?

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So I called Google (855) 836-3987 and basically the guy I got said the device is out of warranty by a year and to contact Samsung. My battery drain tablet was purchased Nov 28 2012.

Anyone had any luck getting Google to do a swap if it is that old?

Indydi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
How many times has it gone from 75% to 0%

Once this starts happening, it will continue to happen. It's not a once in awhile thing. I'm waiting to see how it goes with these batteries from Aliexpress, because my N10 is pretty much dead now. I'm not paying $100 for Google to replace the battery. Please update, all ye who ordered!

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
What is the number you called?

I went on the Google Play website from my computer and went to "help" and then "contact us " and then "phone". I filled out a form for them to call me. They returned the call in 1 minute and arranged for the replacement.
I did mention that I was aware that this is an ongoing problem. She put me on hold and then got back to me and agreed to send the replacement.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I went on the Google Play website from my computer and went to "help" and then "contact us " and then "phone". I filled out a form for them to call me. They returned the call in 1 minute and arranged for the replacement.
I did mention that I was aware that this is an ongoing problem. She put me on hold and then got back to me and agreed to send the replacement.

You also claim you were just a little more than a year after purchase, so they probably just graced you into the 1 year warranty. That isn't likely to happen for the majority of us who are well outside the 1 year mark now.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You also claim you were just a little more than a year after purchase, so they probably just graced you into the 1 year warranty. That isn't likely to happen for the majority of us who are well outside the 1 year mark now.

I understand completely. I'm just posting this to give people a possible option.
FYI, my first N10 was just over a year old, and the replacement is just under a year old.

Last edited:

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I understand completely. I'm just posting this to give people a possible option.
FYI, my first N10 was just over a year old, and the replacement is just under a year old.

Yep I'm probably screwed since I didn't complain a year ago when it was powering off at 40% because I wasn't using it hard and didn't really research what was going on.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So I swapped a battery out of one of those with mine (since the ones at work will never be used on battery anyway). So my crisis is over, until the next time.

I can't believe how long the battery lasts when it is actually working the way it is supposed to. I went from maybe 30 min of gaming before it work shut off to having it off the charger for 2 days with 5+ hours of screen-on time playing games over those two days and it still didn't even register ANY battery usage (showed "100%"/Charged).

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Mine was close to 2 years (Dec 2012 when I purchased from Google Play Store) and Samsung still graced me into the one-year warranty. Don't know unless you try.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got the second replacement today. It came charged at 100%. I was setting everything up (off the charger) and the battery went from 72% to zero in an instant! I've got it back on the charger, but I think that this unit is suffering from the same problem as all of the others. I'm doing all of the updates (it came with 4.2.1 installed). I'll see how it works tomorrow, but this one is probably going back to Google.
I'll try to return this one, but it might be time to get a new tablet as the Nexus 10 certainly have a severe battery problem. 😔
EDIT: Spoke to Google this morning and I'm returning the newest replacement. Too bad that the N10 doesn't have much value, as I will probably sell the next replacement and get another tablet. But I won't get the Nexus 9 because of the 4:3 ratio for watching movies.

Last edited:

Mjt1105

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
This afternoon, I called Samsung and after being transferred 3x I was told that it was out of warranty and would be approximately $138.00 to send it back and have them fix it. I then went to the 99power.com and was told that they were out-of-stock. I called the company based in Dallas and got someone in Canada. He said that they were out of stock and didn't have any idea when they would be getting more in, if ever. Looks like I'm screwed and am going to be tethered to the power cord for the foreseeable future. Sorry to vent, but I am very unimpressed with Samsung's tech support or customer service. I've had two issues with them, one a TV with a known defect (the class action lawsuit had expired and they wouldn't warranty their stuff) and now this... Google tech support was great and I was really happy working with them.

Do you guys have any leads on where to track down another battery?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
From everything I have read the best option is probably to just suck it up and send it into Samsung to replace the battery. What we seem to forget is that the battery is a consumable. It isn't like the display or the SOC that are standard warrantied products. I am amazed they even replace some peoples tablets for battery being consumed.

It does kind of suck though to spend so much for a new battery though. But I am beginning to think it is part of the course for these tablet devices. At this point and with how unimpressed I am with the Nexus 9, I am fairly sure I will be replacing the battery as soon as I start to see this problem. I just hope it doesn't go up to much more before I need to do it.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
This afternoon, I called Samsung and after being transferred 3x I was told that it was out of warranty and would be approximately $138.00 to send it back and have them fix it.

Should be $107, see http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...lace-your-nexus-10-battery-2.html#post3983870 not sure why we would be getting different numbers.

Do you guys have any leads on where to track down another battery?

Nope. Just the sleazy China places selling used and often defective "pulls".

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
From everything I have read the best option is probably to just suck it up and send it into Samsung to replace the battery. [...] It does kind of suck though to spend so much for a new battery though.

$107 is not totally unreasonable for a $500 tablet battery, but being without the tablet for up to 2 weeks and then having it completely wiped is a total PITA and why I didn't want to do it. I just want to buy a $50 to $75 battery somewhere and do it myself in 30 minutes and have it done with no 2 weeks of being without something I use every day and having to then spend 6 hours reloading and reconfiguring everything.

Batteries are available for all kinds of "sealed" devices now... and now that we need them for the N10, they have all but disappeared. It is very frustrating.

At this point and with how unimpressed I am with the Nexus 9, I am fairly sure I will be replacing the battery as soon as I start to see this problem.

Yep, the smaller and 4:3 aspect ratio of the Nexus 9 is a total turn-off.

Mjt1105

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't know much about the company but it seems to be a good lead. I found the battery supposedly "in-stock" at a website in GB. I haven't received the battery and only ordered it a few minutes ago, but I am hopeful. The cost of the battery with shipment to the states is around $71.00 (21.00 of it is shipping). Its through paypal, so if there is a dispute it will be covered. I found another site this afternoon, but they wanted payment in itunes gift cards (shady!!!). They also promised 5 day shipping, so in a week, after it comes in, and I get it installed, I'll repost and let everyone know the progress. The $138 was quoted to me other the phone and may have included shipping... I tuned them out for the most part when she said, "Its not covered under warranty, you have to ship it to us." Maybe it was 108...but I think I remember a "thirty" in there somewhere.

Either way, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator: