Replace your Nexus 10 battery

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got the NewPower99 battery through Rakuten and installed it. It's not the same one they show on the website. It seems to be working fine except for the battery meter. It's stuck at 100% and has an Error message "Battery usage data is unavailable."

Update ---I powered it off and back on with the power cord attached. The power meter started working ...

Cool, please keep us updated as you progress with it. Are you on Lollipop now?

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE : I wrote newpower99 about it not soothing properly and got this strange reply. Not good customer service!
"Count your good luck! The Nexus 10 is not in production again, and I would be unable to replace the battery. There is no stock anywhere. You could return it for a refund if you like. However, if it is powering your tablet, even if the meter is not working with it for some reason, you are indeed lucky. Most of my customers did not get the good fortune of receiving a battery from the very small shipment I received from my supplier before they stopped shipping again.
Best,
Bill"

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just installed mine and the battery is stuck on 100%, tried the power of and on with power cord, still at 100%.

You need to read this entire thread, which already addresses that issue. Let the tablet run down COMPLETELY until it shuts off from low battery, then charge it up and do it again if necessary, and the meter will likely return to operating.

And you ARE lucky, the batteries are nearly impossible to find (non-crappy-used ones). You likely got a third-party older stock sitting on a shelf.

ezcry4t3d

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: Amazon's ZTHY "New" Battery listing was an OLD battery, manufactured 2012-08-20, with clear marks from being removed from a prior device.
Amazon has refunded the order and I'll be posting very negative reviews of both the product and the seller.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: Amazon's ZTHY "New" Battery listing was an OLD battery, manufactured 2012-08-20, with clear marks from being removed from a prior device.
Amazon has refunded the order and I'll be posting very negative reviews of both the product and the seller.

This is exactly what I was warning about previously in the thread. There are a lot of slimy people out there, unfortunately.

ezcry4t3d

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly what I was warning about previously in the thread. There are a lot of slimy people out there, unfortunately.

I fully expected this to be a scam, but I knew Amazon would refund it easily, so it was worth a last ditch effort to save my tablet.

I have now sold my tablet to gazelle.com for an $89.25 Amazon gift card. Amazon would not take the trade-in because it's a 16GB model.

It's a shame, but without a replacement battery it's better to get rid of it while it still boots up. I will certainly never buy another device from Samsung again.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I fully expected this to be a scam, but I knew Amazon would refund it easily, so it was worth a last ditch effort to save my tablet.

We are still fighting with Aliexpress- the vendor won't refund unless we ship the $40 battery back to China for $30. And we fully expect if we do send it back, the vendor will claim they never got it, or that we damaged it or something else. So we don't know what to do.

I have now sold my tablet to gazelle.com for an $89.25 Amazon gift card. Amazon would not take the trade-in because it's a 16GB model.

It's a shame, but without a replacement battery it's better to get rid of it while it still boots up. I will certainly never buy another device from Samsung again.

There is still the option to have Samsung replace the battery. It is a bit pricey, but not outrageous. I have no experience with other non-mainstream tablets, they might be the same way when it comes to finding batteries.

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You need to read this entire thread, which already addresses that issue. Let the tablet run down COMPLETELY until it shuts off from low battery, then charge it up and do it again if necessary, and the meter will likely return to operating.

And you ARE lucky, the batteries are nearly impossible to find (non-crappy-used ones). You likely got a third-party older stock sitting on a shelf.
After 3rd discharge, battery indicator is working. Back to playing with my Nexus 10.

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
It is the Newpower99, I don't recall if i got it directly from them or off of Amazon. I have had it in use about 3 or 4 months and get about 5 days use (my use is light to moderate) out of a charge. The issue i had after about 15 months on the OEM battery was I would get to about 50% battery after a day or two and it would crash to 0. When I replaced it it was crashing to 0 at about 65%.

I will say I had left the original battery on the charger a lot, now I am more careful to let it discharge more fully before charging it. Conventional wisdom says that shouldn't matter with a modern Li-ion battery, but this one anecdote makes it seem otherwise.

Yes people says you can leave the tablet charging and it won hurt the battery because when its fully charged it will turned off but since i got mine i always leave it on a timer and my battery its still great after two years or so i bougth it on first day it came out. Not good to over charge it! You post conferms that.

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
This afternoon, I called Samsung and after being transferred 3x I was told that it was out of warranty and would be approximately $138.00 to send it back and have them fix it. I then went to the 99power.com and was told that they were out-of-stock. I called the company based in Dallas and got someone in Canada. He said that they were out of stock and didn't have any idea when they would be getting more in, if ever. Looks like I'm screwed and am going to be tethered to the power cord for the foreseeable future. Sorry to vent, but I am very unimpressed with Samsung's tech support or customer service. I've had two issues with them, one a TV with a known defect (the class action lawsuit had expired and they wouldn't warranty their stuff) and now this... Google tech support was great and I was really happy working with them.

Do you guys have any leads on where to track down another battery?

I have a 52 " Samsung LCD for like 6 years i replaced the caps in the power supply myself was very easy you find instructions on you tube i got the caps from radioshack otherwise they would have charged me 350$ for the complete power supply ,the TV works great eversince .if you handy you can do that,the problem was the TV would not turn on for a while and just clicking was annoying.

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So unsure what I want to do. I really like the N10. My wife gave me an ipad Air for Christmas and while it's a nice piece of hardware I just don't like all of the things you can't do in IOS and I really miss android.

I am sure I won't miss the random reboots I would get when recording band performances with Soundcloud though.

I continue to read this thread daily to see if anyone stumbles on a real battery solution. I have an AliExpress battery sitting on my desk that I don't think I will bother with.

I went look for a different android tablet but haven't see anything I want to mess with so far. The Nexus 9 just doesn't have good enough reviews and the price is a little too high for a 32gb. The Samsung's look nice but seems like only 16gb models are what are available, and they are pricey also.

I am weighing sending my Nexus 10 to Samsung for a battery/repair. Have those of you who have sent it in been happy with what you got back?

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2yr old Nexus 10 that is having battery failures (80% to 0% clicks off) . I just ordered
amazon.com/gp/product/B00PANRXFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(I can't post the link due to post count, so you'll have to cut/paste)
I went to the "these sellers" link and selected the ZTHY listing marked as "New - Brand New" condition with 2 day shipping by Amazon.
I have a Guaranteed delivery by: Saturday, December 20, 2014 by 8pm
I have every confidence that Amazon will refund me if the battery is not "NEW".
I will report back after I receive the item.

Some other comments after reading this thread:

I HIGHLY recomend spending $10 on this: amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1V82I4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It will let you know exactly how fast your devices are charging. I have tested a large number of chargers and USB cables and there's a HUGE difference in them. They range from 0.3 amps to 2 amps depending on which charger/cable/devices you have plugged in. My Nexus 10 will NOT charge faster than 1.5 amps even on a charger/cable that can actually provide 2 amps. Sometimes, pluging the device in results in a 0.4 amp charge, and I have to unplug and replug the device to get the 1.5 amps. Even plugged in to a charger that is actually providing 1.5 amps, the Nexus 10 will still run the battery down during gaming (which as an electrical engineer, is completely unacceptable to me and I will never buy another Samsung device because of this and the lack of an official POGO cable). As far as USB cable quality, shorter cables seem to do much better. Low voltages have a lot of trouble traveling long distances in thin wires.

Buy the pogo charger i did it with many ppl. Big deal.

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I HIGHLY recomend spending $10 on this: amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1V82I4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It will let you know exactly how fast your devices are charging. I have tested a large number of chargers and USB cables and there's a HUGE difference in them. They range from 0.3 amps to 2 amps depending on which charger/cable/devices you have plugged in. My Nexus 10 will NOT charge faster than 1.5 amps even on a charger/cable that can actually provide 2 amps. Sometimes, pluging the device in results in a 0.4 amp charge, and I have to unplug and replug the device to get the 1.5 amps. Even plugged in to a charger that is actually providing 1.5 amps, the Nexus 10 will still run the battery down during gaming (which as an electrical engineer, is completely unacceptable to me and I will never buy another Samsung device because of this and the lack of an official POGO cable). As far as USB cable quality, shorter cables seem to do much better. Low voltages have a lot of trouble traveling long distances in thin wires.[/COLOR]

Thanks for posting about that USB power meter, just got mine and it has been facinating to test all of families devices and cables, found lots of soft spots in my tech charging. Ultimately found that my motorola charge cables from the orginal droid era allow the most power through and that my samsung tablet chargers put the most power out.

I did pull the trigger on an android tablet after returning the ipad air I got for Christmas. Got a refurbed Samsung Tab S 10.5 32gb. It's pretty nice, still only on 4.4.2 so I miss some things but it should get 5.0 soon and there is some XDA developer support so I may go that route.

Still mulling sending my Nexus 10 in for repair though, the new one is nice but still like some things about the N10 more!

Ryan Ure

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I did pull the trigger on an android tablet after returning the ipad air I got for Christmas. Got a refurbed Samsung Tab S 10.5 32gb. It's pretty nice, still only on 4.4.2 so I miss some things but it should get 5.0 soon and there is some XDA developer support so I may go that route.
Can I ask how the new Tab S compares with the old Nexus 10?...I considered the exact same "upgrade" to the Tab S myself.
TBH I run a Jellybean ROM because I preferred the AOSP Browser... So the bump in operating systems isnt a huge selling point one way or the other... But I'd love to get your opinions on how the new tablet compares to the old one.

wonderrx

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask how the new Tab S compares with the old Nexus 10?...I considered the exact same "upgrade" to the Tab S myself.
TBH I run a Jellybean ROM because I preferred the AOSP Browser... So the bump in operating systems isnt a huge selling point one way or the other... But I'd love to get your opinions on how the new tablet compares to the old one.

Sorry to go so far off topic of this thread. The Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is very solid. The screen is top notch and super bright, touchwiz is fine but crap to look at, I put Nova Launcher on it right away, but still see it with notifications/system panel/menu. I haven't used the side facing speakers yet nor the camera, but will try that in the next day or two. Battery life is pretty good, I've gotten 2 days use without charging. I disabled a bunch of apps, and once I am sure I am keeping it I will root it and titanium backup freeze quite a few more bloat apps that I end up seeing using some battery in gsam battery monitor. I miss having the on screen home/menu/back buttons verses the physical buttons. I am satisfied, it's thinner and smaller than the nexus 10 with a bigger screen. I think the AMOLED screen is more battery efficient.

{EDIT} - Speakers are plenty good.

Last edited:

kkirwanmct

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with the Amazon battery, cleary this was used. Disputed with Amazon, and they replied with the fact they tested batteries before they shipped. I asked why they would test brand new batteries. After which, they refunded my money and told me to keep the battery.

I found another source for OEM Samsung batteries, and it appears to be a brand new battery. I've been using it for 35 minutes, and it's still 100% charged. This reminds me of when the tablet was brand new. Not allowed to submit a link, so search forI had the same issue with the Amazon battery, cleary this was used. Disputed with Amazon, and they replied with the fact they tested batteries before they shipped. I asked why they would test brand new batteries. After which, they refunded my money and told me to keep the battery.

I found another source for OEM Samsung batteries, and it appears to be a brand new battery. the screw holes are in pristine condition no markings from a previous installation. That was the telltale fine at the Amazon battery was in fact you used.
I've been using it for 35 minutes, and it's still 100% charged. This reminds me of when the tablet was brand new. Not allowed to submit a link, so search for GH43-03780A as a part number on encompassparts dot com.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
With the new lollipop update to me it's worth sending it to Google and having them replace it then buying a whole new tablet. I don't have any battery issues yet but that's the root I would take if it happens.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I found another source for OEM Samsung batteries, and it appears to be a brand new battery. the screw holes are in pristine condition no markings from a previous installation. That was the telltale fine at the Amazon battery was in fact you used. I've been using it for 35 minutes, and it's still 100% charged. This reminds me of when the tablet was brand new. Not allowed to submit a link, so search for GH43-03780A as a part number on encompassparts dot com.

Samsung GH43-03780A Inner Battery Pack
$88 + $13 shipping = $101 and not in stock. And not Amazon, but some stand-alone company, so there might be no recourse. Makes the $107 total charge of Samsung doing the replacement seem very worth it if you are willing to have the machine wiped and be without it for a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol