Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Poll: Do You Dislike LG?

Voters
529. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hate em. Bad experience.

73 13.80%
  • Love Em

42 7.94%
  • No Opinion

181 34.22%
  • Heard Bad Things

107 20.23%
  • Unsure/No Opinion

153 28.92%
  • Whoo, Bandwagon!!

19 3.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Why the hate?

It is not the only way but it is the easiest.

I do want to add that I was looking forward to last year's, but money forced me off of it. I had some hate because I do not know lg as a smartphone maker at all, but was willing to give them a try. The hate and 'do not want' attitude really kicked in with the non removable battery, small internal storage, and no sdcard. I know we will never see a sdcard in a Nexus, at least for the long time, but you gotta do better on the other aspects if your gonna do that. All phones are compromises in one way or another. Wouldn't we all love a 64 gb phone with quad core and 4 gb of ram to go along with an slcd3 screen and a maxx battery. Sunning pure android of course. Sure we would, not gonna happen though.... So we decide where we can compromise and live with what we buy. I just wonder how long until threads start popping up that my nexus is full what do I do now?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    It is not the only way but it is the easiest.

I do want to add that I was looking forward to last year's, but money forced me off of it. I had some hate because I do not know lg as a smartphone maker at all, but was willing to give them a try. The hate and 'do not want' attitude really kicked in with the non removable battery, small internal storage, and no sdcard. I know we will never see a sdcard in a Nexus, at least for the long time, but you gotta do better on the other aspects if your gonna do that. All phones are compromises in one way or another. Wouldn't we all love a 64 gb phone with quad core and 4 gb of ram to go along with an slcd3 screen and a maxx battery. Sunning pure android of course. Sure we would, not gonna happen though.... So we decide where we can compromise and live with what we buy. I just wonder how long until threads start popping up that my nexus is full what do I do now?

True but finding phones with unlockable bootloaders and great development is becoming harder and harder to find. My captivate was almost a nexus after you rooted it, Development was nothing short of epic, but now even the most popular models like the one x have stupid locked boatloaders, and both the one series and galaxy phones aren't rocking even 4.1 and 4.2 is getting ready to drop. So you really do just have to either decide whether you want to compromise your android updates and compromise your clean look to get an Android phone with everything you want,or deal with some sacrifices and get a nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Non removable battery is and always has been a moot point as there is a hard reset procedure for all of our android phones actually most devices of this type not just cell phones. Normally its hold pwr for 10+ seconds. I have access to a removable battery but ask me how often I pull mine out... Never, because there is that procedure in place to handle uh ohs like that. You guys fear it because you aren't as smart as you think you are, or because you need more power ( this one totally understandable).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

What I hate about built in batteries is lithium ions don't last forever so if the battery dies your supposed to just throw away your device

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    What I hate about built in batteries is lithium ions don't last forever so if the battery dies your supposed to just throw away your device

How long do you expect to keep the phone my evo's battery is still perfectly normal so are you expecting the phone to be used for over3 or 4 years

Thanked by 2:
    jrocRy 
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    How long do you expect to keep the phone my evo's battery is still perfectly normal so are you expecting the phone to be used for over3 or 4 years

I agree with this. My Droid 1, Droid X1 stock batteries are still going strong. Got the Droid 1 in 2010, Droid X1 in 2010. The longest I kept a phone is 1 and 1/2 years. I assume most of us get a new phone about every year?

I admit I used the non removable battery argument in iPhone vs Android debates. I confess I never used a phone with a non removable battery until the Droid RAZR. Funny thing is...my RAZR had less random reboots than my Droid 1 and Droid X1. I had to do more battery pulls on those 2 phones than hard resetting my RAZR. More stable software and better hardware? Who knows. But we shouldn't fear the non removable batteries.

I know its preference....but if its a big enough battery....it should be fine. The biggest extended battery I bought is 2800 for my Droid 1. Phone manufactures just need to put bigger stock batteries in these phones. Someone did post the other day they kept their Droid 1 as their main phone since 2009, 2010? That is not the norm for us tech fiends....lol.

Non removable battery is and always has been a moot point as there is a hard reset procedure for all of our android phones actually most devices of this type not just cell phones.
    Case in point, that somehow always seems to be forgotten......is tablets. Some ppl say they dont want a non removable battery for running custom ROMs.....doesnt hurt development on tablets.... One thing I do like is when I drop my phone...I dont have to worry about the battery coming out, or finding the battery door....lol. It might not seem like it, but there are some pros to a non removable battery. Relying on an external battery for power sessions means my phone never has to be turned off. I jog with a Anker 5600 mAh external battery. Small enough to actually hold in my hand while jogging.
    Last edited by jroc; 11-03-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I agree with this. My Droid 1, Droid X1 stock batteries are still going strong. Got the Droid 1 in 2010, Droid X1 in 2010. The longest I kept a phone is 1 and 1/2 years. I assume most of us get a new phone about every year?
    The life expectancy is likely set at a minimum of 2 to 3 years im not 100% but im willing to bet somewhere around length of typical contracts at bare minimum.

My N1's still going strong as my primary when in GSM-land. The battery on my OG Droid suffered a catastrophic failure shortly after I upgraded to the GNex.

As for hating the N4, it might be a good replacement for my N1 but never for the GNex. I need/want high speed data on an extensive, reliable national network.

Depends on your usage habits and charging habits. My captivate battery never died completely but the life cycle went to hell after a year, and I was able to buy a new one, which is something I won't be able to do with the nexus 4. Not to mention having a spare is always nice for those situations where you need a charge now.

Again its not a deal breaker but I prefer a removable over non removable any day

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Depends on your usage habits and charging habits. My captivate battery never died completely but the life cycle went to hell after a year, and I was able to buy a new one, which is something I won't be able to do with the nexus 4. Not to mention having a spare is always nice for those situations where you need a charge now.

Again its not a deal breaker but I prefer a removable over non removable any day

Charge properly and dont be abusive to li-ion batteries

Overall I'm just not going to lie to myself and convince myself this phone is perfect when its not. I'm buying it but I'm buying it with compromise. Still as far as android goes I'm never buying a non nexus device ever again. Sick of manufacturer skins, and seeing new versions of android and wondering if and when I'll get them. Sick of having locked down devices with no development.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

The cover comes off easily (2 screws), replacing battery or broken glass back for that matter shouldn't be difficult.

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Tankhe View Post
    If the rumors are correct in the new nexus program the OEM's are probably responsible for the software.
    Google wouldn't be able to maintain the builds of all the manufacturers.

Nexus Rumor

So if you want to take the risk of buying the only nexus which will never get an update!!! Buy the LG Nexus!!! :-)
    Ahem, the word rumor is there which means that this could not be true at all. This new nexus program was probably based off of that rumor which said that there would be 5 different nexus phones. Well that did not turn out to be true. Google can surely handle the updates for the n4, n7, n10, and gnexus. Don't let this rumor prevent u from buying the nexus 4, potential n4 buyers.

Sent from my jelly bean flavored nexus

The naming scheme kills the rumor. The nexus 4 is obviously named for its 4 inch(ish) screen (actually 4.7). It coincides with the 7 inch nexus 7 and 10 inch nexus 10. If Google really was going to do multiple nexus phones they wouldn't have chosen this naming scheme. And to also further smash those rumors, the rumored galaxy nexus 2 ended up being the Galaxy Premier, and the HTC Nexus 5 ended up being the Droid DNA (what a stupid name)

Anyway there is some truth. They said google was reaching out to several manufacturers for multiple nexuses, they never said they were all going to be phones.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

But there is something missing. If we are talking about the same old rumor, it was a Nexus certified program. You would have something like you have with Windows. Dell makes it, has drivers for the hardware, but all the updates to the Os come from Microsoft.

What could and should happen is exactly that. Android puts out the API's as a standard. The drivers have to meet that, and keep that standard to remain nexus certified.

You didn't hear? The nexus certification program was a big hoax. Some fake bogger sent all the details to android and me as a joke and they were so anxious for news they up and posted it and it spread like wildfire. He eventually fessed up stating he didn't want to see Google not live up to everyone's unrealistic expectations.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    Z4Root

I personally can't wait yeah it has no lte and no ad card slot or changeable battery but look at the price look at the specs it a great phone for a great price go LG.

Sent from Mountaineer Nation via One X
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

You didn't hear? The nexus certification program was a big hoax. Some fake bogger sent all the details to android and me as a joke and they were so anxious for news they up and posted it and it spread like wildfire. He eventually fessed up stating he didn't want to see Google not live up to everyone's unrealistic expectations.

Got a link? Even if it is, it is still a good idea

Ry

Global Posts
    7,877 Global Posts

The naming scheme kills the rumor. The nexus 4 is obviously named for its 4 inch(ish) screen (actually 4.7). It coincides with the 7 inch nexus 7 and 10 inch nexus 10. If Google really was going to do multiple nexus phones they wouldn't have chosen this naming scheme. And to also further smash those rumors, the rumored galaxy nexus 2 ended up being the Galaxy Premier, and the HTC Nexus 5 ended up being the Droid DNA (what a stupid name)

Anyway there is some truth. They said google was reaching out to several manufacturers for multiple nexuses, they never said they were all going to be phones.

Why does everyone assume it's multiple Nexus phones, not simple multiple Nexus devices?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I don't and am beyond that. I now know that it is devices, not phones but we have moved to the hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Got a link? Even if it is, it is still a good idea

I know it's on rootzwiki, but hard to find on my phone. I liked the idea too because there aren't enough phones that provide the true google experience. Want an sd slot? Want more storage in general? Want a removable battery? Get a Galaxy s3...but wait its running 4.0, still doesn't have 4.1 and 4.2 is about ready to drop, and it doesn't look much like the 4.0 your used to because its heavily skinned with touchwiz. So really nowadays you gotta deal with compromises to get true android.

That being said I don't think a true certification program would work out because you'd end up with more phones than google could keep up with and updates would go back to the manufacturers responsibility, taking us back to square one. I think it would work if Google just selected a few multiple partners to make various phones, but they would all be shaped in Google's vision of the perfect phone, which would mean again, no storage or sd slot.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I will look over there for it. I still think my Window analogy makes your points moot. Windows does not keep up with dell, hp, gateway, and the like. The oems are forced to keep up with windows and update drivers before a new version is released

Charge properly and dont be abusive to li-ion batteries

Even with charging propertly, when you're doing 2-3 charge cycles a day like I am, one year is about all you get from a Lithium Ion battery. (Sprint GNex with 2100 mAh removable battery)
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,877 Global Posts

On those years where I use a phone past the one-year mark, I always pick up a new battery (usually from the carrier to avoid issues with fake or counterfeit goods).

And I always notice a difference, the newer battery lasting longer.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Phone would be perfect with an sd card slot, lte (designed around att), and a changeable battery.

I'm still getting it though, at that price unlocked, this week be my first nexus and first unlocked phone

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the Galaxy S3!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast