Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why even have the 8GB Nexus 7?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Google makes enough on its mobile services and Play Store to sell the Nexus at much of a loss. I doubt we'll see the new Nexus on sale unlocked and off contract for less than $499, even in a low-storage budget option. Of course, I'd happily be proven wrong.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind an LG nexus, but for it to be a top phone it would need a removable battery and an sd card slot. Google is messing up what could be legendary.

Smartphone makers should stop pushing smartphones to cloud storage, some is great but shouldn't be what they push towards

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's going to have to be $400 or less or it won't sell much at all. Remember the nexus one? It was what $500 and sells were less than stellar.

Honestly they should of used the tegra chipset. Not only would it been more budget friendly, but why wouldn't you want some consistency in your hardware? Just seems a bit ridiculous, all nexuses have completely different chipsets. Before anyone says it, I know this chipset is more powerful than the tegra, I mean hell the dual core snapdragon s4 is more powerful than tegra but just for consistency and price it would of made more sense imo.

But I don't know the price and no one else does either so I guess we'll wait and see.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

The nexus one was $199 on contract. I should know because I bought one. The price of this new nexus will depend on how quickly the costs are amortized. If they sell a ton of them to carriers like they did with the galaxy Nexus, they could drop the price to $399 without issue.

They didn't use Tegra for some pretty important reasons. Nvidias pitiful track record with open source drivers etc for their chipset was a big reason. Another is that Tegra 3 is not a forward looking chipset. It was cobbled together to be first to market and has a ton of compromises. They chose the s4 because it is going to be THE chipset of 2013, just like it was for most of 2012. Tegra 3 would have made zero sense on a nexus handset.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Why stop there? WHY NOT HAVE A 1 TERABYTE PHONE!!11!!!

Costs dude. Can't just put gigs and gigs of storage and attempt to keep the price low.

I just bought a 32 gig flash drive for $20 bucks. Flash memory doesn't cost much at all. A tear down of the nexus 7 revealed the 16GB chip only costs $22.50 in raw costs. So cost isn't much of an excuse. I just want to be able to load a good amount of music on my phone.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The nexus one was $199 on contract. I should know because I bought one. The price of this new nexus will depend on how quickly the costs are amortized. If they sell a ton of them to carriers like they did with the galaxy Nexus, they could drop the price to $399 without issue.

They didn't use Tegra for some pretty important reasons. Nvidias pitiful track record with open source drivers etc for their chipset was a big reason. Another is that Tegra 3 is not a forward looking chipset. It was cobbled together to be first to market and has a ton of compromises. They chose the s4 because it is going to be THE chipset of 2013, just like it was for most of 2012. Tegra 3 would have made zero sense on a nexus handset.

Well imo the nexus isn't about having the best hardware its about having quality hardware to sell at a reasonable price on the play store. Tegra doesn't suck, not by any means, and its intended as budget minded. And seeing how commonly used it is, that just brings the price down even farther.

The galaxy nexus had competitive hardware, but it wasn't the most powerful handset on the market, hell it was weaker than the Galaxy S2. I just am sweating the price, how much is this nexus going to cost? $500?

I'd rather have more storage at a lower cost than cutting edge groundbreaking hardware with no storage and a higher tag.

Last edited:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Google makes enough on its mobile services and Play Store to sell the Nexus at much of a loss. I doubt we'll see the new Nexus on sale unlocked and off contract for less than $499, even in a low-storage budget option. Of course, I'd happily be proven wrong.

I kinda doubt $399 is a loss, but I could be wrong. Iirc the iPhone costs about $189 in parts and thats "regular" price parts not super high volume purchased parts. So parts wise it likely doesn't cost too much to make these devices. Granted they need to spend money and man hours to build and test but that might be split a bit between LG and Google, idrk how that works.

Either way, someone made a good point about the tablets....If they can sell one for $200, then they can most likely make some profit on a $399 phone. Perhaps not a huge margin. But what remains to be seen is if Google wants Nexus to be a consumer device right now or simply exactly what it is, a niche. Then they can compete with Motorola for the consumer side of things.

I'm honestly not getting my hopes up for the phone to be cheap. But anything's possible at this point.

I don't even think their selling well honestly. They don't even sell the 8 gig model in retail chains.

Isn't the 8GB being phased out now for a 16GB and 32GB? Can't imagine they will be keeping both 16 and 32 at $249.99.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Internal memory is cheap. I really think Google knows not only that, but that having small internal storage actually HURTS app purchases. I have NOVA 3 on my N7 and I can't play Batman until I'm done with NOVA 3. No way would I have purchased Batman if it wasn't on sale for $0.25 when I bought it. They need larger internal storage because the high quality games that cost money use up a lot of space internally.

...Unless Android 4.2 lets me save my NOVA3 files to the cloud. Not happening.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a 32 gig flash drive for $20 bucks. Flash memory doesn't cost much at all. A tear down of the nexus 7 revealed the 16GB chip only costs $22.50 in raw costs. So cost isn't much of an excuse. I just want to be able to load a good amount of music on my phone.

They dont use multiple flash mem chips like flash drives do = cheap

High capacity single Nand chips = not as cheap do your research please
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
They dont use multiple flash mem chips like flash drives do = cheap

High capacity single Nand chips = not as cheap do your research please

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

The 16 gig chip costs $21 vs $13.50 for the 8 gig. A difference of $7.50. How much would a 32 gig chip cost? Probably not a whole lot more. It's not saving Google $100 raw cost on the phone, put it that way

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

The 16 gig chip costs $21 vs $13.50 for the 8 gig. A difference of $7.50. How much would a 32 gig chip cost? Probably not a whole lot more. It's not saving Google $100 raw cost on the phone, put it that way

I didnt say way more expensive. But good call I am corrected good sir.

Do I agree the phone needs way more mem yes as 8gigs is stupid. I personally wont buy a phone without an sd card slot as I store and edit tons of work documents. Pictures, some music, plus my app backups, roms, twrp backups, the upside being I can pull the sd out and have it approved for use in secure environments where my phone isnt allowed

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I'm just going to pass. I would of been fine if they just make a galaxy nexus 2 with say a tegra 3, 32 gigs of storage, and a better camera at $299-$350. With the Galaxy Nexus unlocked and unsubsidized at $350 on the play store they really raise the bar for a quality smartphone with no carrier commitment. But now we're talking probably $450 just to get 16 gigs of storage. The fact it's LG doesn't bother me it's the fact that it's going to cost as much as a carrier phone that does and storage still blows on it!

I don't see why they need that kind of power. Maybe if you want to game on your phone but if that's the case get a nexus 7 because gaming sucks on a smaller screen. If you take gaming out of the equation, the Galaxy Nexus is good for another year maybe even longer.

Really other than the nexus one, google never fails to disappoint with the nexus phones, there is always some compromise. I'm kinda thinking now I'll just stick with my vivid. Other than android updates, it's overall a better phone than the Galaxy Nexus anyway and I got 48 gigs of storage right now between 16 gig internal and a 32 gig sd card.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I'm just going to pass. I would of been fine if they just make a galaxy nexus 2 with say a tegra 3, 32 gigs of storage, and a better camera at $299-$350. With the Galaxy Nexus unlocked and unsubsidized at $350 on the play store they really raise the bar for a quality smartphone with no carrier commitment. But now we're talking probably $450 just to get 16 gigs of storage. The fact it's LG doesn't bother me it's the fact that it's going to cost as much as a carrier phone that does and storage still blows on it!

I don't see why they need that kind of power. Maybe if you want to game on your phone but if that's the case get a nexus 7 because gaming sucks on a smaller screen. If you take gaming out of the equation, the Galaxy Nexus is good for another year maybe even longer.

Really other than the nexus one, google never fails to disappoint with the nexus phones, there is always some compromise. I'm kinda thinking now I'll just stick with my vivid. Other than android updates, it's overall a better phone than the Galaxy Nexus anyway and I got 48 gigs of storage right now between 16 gig internal and a 32 gig sd card.

You fail to understand the purpose of Nexus devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol