Why the hate?

Poll: Do You Dislike LG?

• Total voters

Baron Tankhe

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely hate LG. And all of this has to do with the experience i'm having with my LG Optimus 3D.

Two weeks after I bought my Optimus 3D the phone's capacitive keys broke down and my phone was send in for repairs. I got it back after 2 weeks and it should have been fixed. After half a day the same problem showed up again. I registered myself for their "VIP" service and got the phone replaced within 24 hours..... by a phone which could not make a phone call.
They replaced my broken phone for another broken phone!!! After lots of complaining and being called a crook by their customer service. I got it replaced vy a phone which worked..... for a few months. 6 Months after I got the replacement the power button broke down.
I was lucky because I still had the "VIP" service so it got replaced by another phone. 2 months after that replacement (that is right now) the phone charging started to get erratic and it didn't show the correct charge anymore. So right now I'm stuck with my 3 year old HTC Hero because my LG Optimus 3D is in for repairs..... AGAIN!!!

Beside all my hardware issues there's the software update issue.... whenever I got a replacement it was still on froyo.... which meant I had to update it to gingerbread. And I think absolutely nobody is expecting am ICS update for their 3D or 2X anymore. So software wise Android is almost on 4.2 and LG owners are stuck on 2.3....

I was hoping to solve all my phone troubles by buying the next Nexus.... and if the rumors of multiple nexus manufacturers is true I might even get a Nexus. But if LG is the only manufacturer I will go with the next best thing after vanilla android.. Asus, they somehow know to keep their hands of the OS and they just ad some programs and widgets.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
No one has mentioned what I believe to be the absolute worst reason to not want an LG Nexus device: T-Mobile G2x.

In the beginning everything looked excellent on paper: great hardware, decent design, the first dual-core phone, a vanilla Google experience. The problem with LG, and still is the problem now, is that they don't know how to effectively implement software on a device. The phone was (and still a bit is) plagued with software issues and LG has treated the phone like anything but a flagship device. Stock is still 2.3.4 Gingerbread and even custom ROMs like CM can only bring fully functional builds to 2.3.7.

My number one concern is that LG will bring the hardware goods, but will somehow once again fail to deliver a clean, fast, bug-free user experience.

I've been using my T-Mobile G2X since May of 2011 and while the hardware is pretty good, I'm still stuck on Gingerbread because LG refuses to open source their Tegra 2 video drivers and reneged on their promise to release ICS for the G2X and the European version LG 2X. It was one of the first crop of dual core processor phones and shipped with nearly vanilla Gingerbread. I was fooled into believing it would be similar to a Nexus device because of the nearly plain vanilla build. This was before Cyanogen started working for Samsung and when I heard he was buying the G2X for himself and would be developing for the G2X I was sold. I learned the hard way that open source is a relative concept. If the drivers are not open source, the developers are severely limited in what they can do. I spent three months trying every different ICS build for the G2X and while I loved the benefits of ICS there were just so many things that didn't work the way they were supposed to. I had a chance to borrow my son's G2X for a while after he got a Galaxy Nexus and for the hell of it tried Hellfire's Gingerbread build. I was shocked how much I had given up for the sake of ICS and switched my daily driver back to Gingerbread. I swore I wouldn't go back to ICS until the drivers became available. Sadly, LG backed out of their commitment to releasing ICS for the G2X and developement on XDA and Open Kang for the G2X has slowed to a crawl. At this point, if LG is the only Nexus phone manufacturer I will get a Galaxy Note II and put CM10 on it. It may not be a Nexus but I am very confident it will have a very robust development community and the hardware it cutting edge. Rumor has it that it has the LTE radios for T-Mobile's LTE network when it launches in 2013 so it will be future proof as much as one can hope for.

Because G2X.

Some people say they "took a while" to fix problems. That's not entirely accurate. They NEVER fixed the problems.

The GPS still takes several minutes to lock, if it ever does. It drops signal switching from 4g to 2g, so you have to set 2g only if you don't want to lose signal. It overheats while charging, which some phones can handle, but others can't. Regardless of if you have 2.2, 2.3.3 or 2.3.4, it has numerous software issues. It lags constantly forcing reboots, after which it will work OK for a little while and start lagging hard again. If you decide to root and install CM7, you can expect things like random reboots, disappearing APN settings, etc because the kernel source LG released was completely broken and had to be hacked severely just to work. CM9 is broken because LG constantly lied and said there would be ICS for the *g2x* and then finally said they meant the *o2x* instead, but even that hasn't materialized yet.

Anyone who claims they've never had a problem with their g2x is either 1) lying, 2) never uses their phone, 3) doesn't actually own a g2x or 4) the luckiest mother on earth.

Yes, there hardware is hefty and durable. That's about all you can say about it. This wasn't supposed to be their low-end designed to fail device. This was their frickin flagship, or so they claimed at the time. Would LG's failures be remedied by having Google do the software? Maybe. But after they put out this kind of crap, and expected people to be happy with half-baked updates that created as many problems as they fixed, there's no way I'll buy another LG.

edit: Oh, and this wasn't my first Android device, so I have quite a bit of context. I previously owned a G1, MyTouch 3G, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and then the G2X. While the G1 and MT3G were slow, they were products of their day. The G2X was never a good phone. I still kick myself daily for not getting the Sensation instead.

Some people don't seem to understand how the Nexus program works. Google (not the OEM) controls the software, and there are no proprietary drivers. Everything is open. So LG's software history and update history is completely irrelevant.

Also it's funny to see how much has changed in less than 2 years. Back then people were slamming Samsung for their poor build quality. Now they have (apparently) become the standard that allow other OEMs must strive to meet.

This is all comedy. I'm reserving my opinion until we actually get to see one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Lothinator

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Some people don't seem to understand how the Nexus program works. Google (not the OEM) controls the software, and there are no proprietary drivers. Everything is open. So LG's software history and update history is completely irrelevant.

Also it's funny to see how much has changed in less than 2 years. Back then people were slamming Samsung for their poor build quality. Now they have (apparently) become the standard that allow other OEMs must strive to meet.

We understand how the Nexus program works. We simply do not wish to deal with a company that treats is customers this way.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Simple. Because LG makes garbage smart phones. And let's not forget how ugly there devices are. Also the camera is garbage. Go take a look on the androidandme. com website, see for yourself.

Baron Tankhe

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

If the rumors are correct in the new nexus program the OEM's are probably responsible for the software.
Google wouldn't be able to maintain the builds of all the manufacturers.

Nexus Rumor

So if you want to take the risk of buying the only nexus which will never get an update!!! Buy the LG Nexus!!! :)

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with LG. I DO have a problem with 8GB of non-expandable memory and a lack of LTE.

Google is trying to implement Google Drive and wants it mainstream trying to make people use it more. That's why they are releasing devices with minimal storage, this years new chrome book was 16gb only, then the N7 tabs were 8/16gb, and now it seems they will be doing the same with the nexus phones. It looks like this will be the norm for devices for a while, memory cards aren't that expensive, and this is why there is no sd slot either.

TauSigmaNova

Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!
Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, from what I hear the G2X was a failed device. That really does suck. I guess it depends what device you had- My Optimus V was VERY, I repeat VERYYYYYYY, developer friendly. The 8GB is kind of small when it becomes like 5 or 6, truthfully. It would be nice for a 16/24/32 GB one, but I have my doubts.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
While the processor, RAM, and screen are great, the storage size and lack of a decent radio in the SIM unlocked version pretty much kill this phone for me. If there are carrier branded versions, they will have the necessary radios to run on those networks, just not global LTE. The camera on the Optimus G did not test well, so I have no hopes that the camera will impress anyone on this device. There will be other phones with the S4 pro and 2GB of RAM with better cameras and bootloaders that will not withstand the dev community.

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I will be reserving my opinion until Google have presented the full package, but based on what has already been revealed I see nothing to make me want to upgrade from my GNex. As with some others, I will be looking for my next Nexus phone to have a much superior camera [than the GNex], a more robust battery and LTE.

While I like the design of what has been shown, as I like the GNex, it doesn't represent enough of a leap for me to want to plunge into a mid-contract upgrade. I will sit this one out and look forward to potentially seeing a more substantial improvement next year, probably alongside Android 5.

The Samsung N10 rumour on the other hand, now that has caught my attention...

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Simple. Because LG makes garbage smart phones. And let's not forget how ugly there devices are. Also the camera is garbage. Go take a look on the androidandme. com website, see for yourself.

First of all, if you're going to hate then use correct grammar. It's THEIR not there. Second of all, u do realize that those pictures were taken with pre-release hardware, right?

Sent from my jelly bean flavored nexus

doncoop

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I was an Optimus 2X owner. The hardware was sound, didn't have an issue with camera or build quality. Just their software sucked to start and the support / upgrade was non existent. If this a Nexus then I would be interested in buying it because they wouldn't be in charge of the software. In a way they are the best OEM to chose as they are the worst of all the OEMs for software.

DonJuan89

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I never owned an LG. However, I have nothing against them. I also think that the storage specs will change. This might be a prototype, as I read somewhere. There's still a lot we don't know. I think it would be a business suicide for Google and LG if they put 8GB of non-expandable storage into a Google "flagship" phone. That just doesn't seem right. If I get the money, I'll buy it (if it has at least 16GB). Don't care much for OEM, I care that it's a Nexus. So far, every Nexus was a great phone (and tablet). Google can't dishonor the Nexus brand, they just won't do it.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Based on the poll results so far it seems like the people that hate LG are just more vocal about it. The majority of voters have either no opinion or have only "heard bad things". I voted "no opinion" for the record since i've never owned an LG device nor heard any firsthand stories from people about the quality.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I see people screaming for LTE but I thought that was impossible on a non-carrier version.
They would have to have at least 3 different versions in the play store and possibly 4 because tmobile doesn't even have that yet. And that's not even accounting for other countries. It seems like it's not even logistically possible right now. Or am I crazy?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I really don't care who makes the next nexus device. My only complaint is 8/16 gigs of storage. Come on google its 2012, you don't like sd cards we get it so put 32 gigs in! That being said a different manufacturer wouldn't change that problem anyway

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No one has mentioned what I believe to be the absolute worst reason to not want an LG Nexus device: T-Mobile G2x.

In the beginning everything looked excellent on paper: great hardware, decent design, the first dual-core phone, a vanilla Google experience. The problem with LG, and still is the problem now, is that they don't know how to effectively implement software on a device. The phone was (and still a bit is) plagued with software issues and LG has treated the phone like anything but a flagship device. Stock is still 2.3.4 Gingerbread and even custom ROMs like CM can only bring fully functional builds to 2.3.7.

My number one concern is that LG will bring the hardware goods, but will somehow once again fail to deliver a clean, fast, bug-free user experience.

And how will this not be fixed by a Nexus?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If the rumors are correct in the new nexus program the OEM's are probably responsible for the software.
Google wouldn't be able to maintain the builds of all the manufacturers.

Nexus Rumor

So if you want to take the risk of buying the only nexus which will never get an update!!! Buy the LG Nexus!!! :)

Very interesting link. I like the idea of having multiple Nexus devices, but I don't like the idea of Google not controlling them (which the article seems to imply, but doesn't specifically say). I'm not familiar with that site, so I don't know how much I should trust them. I'd love to see the guys here (i.e. Phil and co) weigh in on this rumor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze