View Poll Results: Poll: Do You Dislike LG?

Voters
529. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hate em. Bad experience.

73 13.80%
  • Love Em

42 7.94%
  • No Opinion

181 34.22%
  • Heard Bad Things

107 20.23%
  • Unsure/No Opinion

153 28.92%
  • Whoo, Bandwagon!!

19 3.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

Default Why the hate?

Jesus Christ guys, why is everyone hating on LG for making the next Nexus? LG, while not the top of the top is by no means a bad OEM...I am a PROUD LG Smartphone owner, owning a 2 year old LG Optimus V device, a device that was meant to fail- to just fill shelves and be sold to people with BASIC needs. A 3.2" screen and 600MhZ processor and I'm running stable JELLYBEAN on it with working Camera at 804MhZ... Jeez people, no need to hate just because your precious Samsung or Motorola or HTC didn't make it! While I love HTC and Samsung, get over it! LG is just as god as any other OEM.

The last bad experience I had with LG was my mom's first Camera Phone on Verizon- One that came out in like 03 or 04 when Camera Phones were cutting edge, not S3s. It was a little glitchy and the camera sucked, to be expected!

Also, I must speak for the amazing build quality- I've been careless and dropped my device a few times too many and all I have are scratches. No permanent damage to battery, screen function, anything. It is a strong as a brick!

Get over yourselves, Get over Samsung and HTC, Get over Motorola. LG is here and it is a major competitor.. Live with it.
    Happy Nexus 4 User

Thanked by 5:
    atranchina, qnet, elvisgp and 3 others like this.

Default Re: Why the hate?

I don't see why anyone should hate it? I think it's a great idea to let LG make the next Nexus, it will give them a massive boost and HTC and Samsung have already made the previous Nexus phones! I'm hoping there is some cool functionality for connecting it to the Nexus 7 or maybe streaming to an LG tv. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I don't have any issues with LG making the new Nexus. I've never owned an LG phone, so I don't really know what the quality of their phones are like. Hopefully the phone turns out to be a home run and LG get the boost that they need.

From the leaks, I like the design of the Nexus, I certainly like the specs, I haven't seen their screens, but if they're those new IPS LCD2 screens, I won't have any worries. I don't see why this phone would be bad just because it's made by LG.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

If this phone is under 400-500 dollars, I can afford it and will definitely get it
    Happy Nexus 4 User

ROM
    CM 7.2 - MiRaGe 9.30.12

Optimus V owners unite! I've owned my OV just over a year now, and have had no issues with it. Although it's getting a bit dated as far as specs go.

I think the LG G2x may have left a sour taste in the mouth of it's owners, because LG released it with half-baked software. I know the hardware was fine, but LG took awhile fixing the issues many were having.

I rooted, and installed a custom ROM 3 days after getting my Optimus V. The only issues the phone had were bloatware, and a TWS (time without signal) bug. These were remedied by the community (awesome dev support BTW). I'm happy to see a LG Nexus. Hopefully it will put the LG hate to rest.
    Thanked by 2:
    Encerspay45 and TauSigmaNova like this.

I don't think the hate is for LG. I think it stems from some of the specs. The minuscule storage. Lack of LTE.

I'm beginning to wonder though, if this version is the Google Play version. The current Galaxy Nexus has LTE on VZW and Sprint. The Google Play version sold direct from Google is only HSPA+. I wonder if we'll see alternate version for Sprint and VZW, since they're on CDMA, that would also include the LTE radio.
    stoneworrior likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    I don't think the hate is for LG. I think it stems from some of the specs. The minuscule storage. Lack of LTE.

I'm beginning to wonder though, if this version is the Google Play version. The current Galaxy Nexus has LTE on VZW and Sprint. The Google Play version sold direct from Google is only HSPA+. I wonder if we'll see alternate version for Sprint and VZW, since they're on CDMA, that would also include the LTE radio.

No, most people are like

"EWWWWWWWWWWW, LG! INSTANT no buy!"
    I think they'll do the seperate LTE versions, It would only make sense. They'd be smart doing it for AT&T also, but they have the GSM version for that :/

I'll be using it on TMo 30 dollar a month anyway
    Happy Nexus 4 User

Complaints about LG are most likely due to their interface customizations and typical software annoyances that come with carrier branded devices, especially bloatware and updates. None of these will be an issue with a Nexus device unless it is released on Verizon. :rolleyes:

As far as the specs go, wouldn't that be a Google thing? They could always ask for more storage or other changes. On the up side, it should keep the price down which is important when selling g unlocked phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

I hope it has 16gb. There is no way 8 is enough and will be a deal breaker. I have t mobile so lte isnt a issue for me.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

I'm probably gonna be flashing left and right and I have my Tablet so the most I'm gonna do on my phone is ROM, damn ton of music, and maybe a few games like Temple Run or Nova 3. Mmm, dat Nova 3.

Flashing left and right meaning I'll be too lazy to install apps and stuff between ROMS

That and 16 WOULD be nice if It doesn't raise the price by too much.
    Happy Nexus 4 User

ROM
    AOKP

The main reason I didn't want a LG nexus is because their designs are pretty f-ing horrendous this nexus doesnt look that bad but that camera looks stupid, also Glass?? glass on the back? Like why is everyone trying to be the next Iphone I feel like LG isn't doing good enough in the android game to make a nexus i'd rather have samsung make another one, or better yet HTC because they make pretty devices as long as it doesnt have a camera hump
    nothing nothing nothing

Some of the complaints

OEM is LG -- Samsung was not a big phone OEM few years ago. I thought(long ago) Samsung would suck in quality but now everyone seem to love samsung.
    LG is in the same stage and i think the phone is amazing

No SD slot -- this has been discussed many many times and No nexus wont get SD card slot even in future release. people will still discuss in future nexus devices.

Removable battery-- I dont care if its removable or not the only reason i want a removable battery is when the phone get stuck which i dont think would happen with the powerful processor. just in case if it get stuck i would use adb to reboot. btw, all should watch this video about LG battery

8 Gb memory -- this i wish they release at least with 16 gb but the reason is to cut cost. you can always get the 16 Gb version and we dont know if there is a 32 Gb version yet.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I have had my fair share of phones. But I have had nothing but bad luck with LG. But I've seen them improve their products. I am a proud owner of the Samsung galaxy nexus, and if LG is making the next nexus then Google chose them for a reason.might be a good device after all. We never know. For the time being it looks awesome. Koodos LG!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

You don't have to be the best in the business to submit a nexus design, that's like saying only the top 5 of you because you're oldest can have the cake or the 100 dollars.

It's like saying the 20 year old can have the basketball and the 10 year old kid can't. It's like saying a 20 year old can live in a damned house and a 10 year old can't. Everyone's so caught up in the iPhone drama that they don't see that LG is really not copying the iPhone. That whole crystal reflective thing looks pretty damned cool, it doesn't look like an iphone..
    Yeah, the 8GB is cost definitely, and the removable battery is really only for those who need to change battery during the day. Which APPARENTLY, is a lot of people >shocker<
    Happy Nexus 4 User

All I wanted was LTE, now that is a downgrade.
    jroc likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I do not give a flying crap who makes it really. Most of the components for most phones are made the same place. Sure the housings can be different, but the internals are kinda the same.

The hate that I am spewing is that it is at most a 16 GB internal. Fine I know that almost all nexus devices have no sdcard slot, but if you are going to limit the internal you have to offer some kind of option. It has no damn removable battery, it the one that is going to be in there a Maxx battery? if not, then fail. I know there is no love for physical buttons, but you are taking a step backwards as far as screen size goes if the specs are correct. (4.7-.2 {for the buttons}= 4.5"). Oh, and the camera more than likely not be near even the GNex, let alone the SGS3, if it follows the optimus G line

The selling point has been mostly the "pure google experience" overhyped. I get that with CM10....and on a much better device, with 96 GB of storage.

Moving on, If this holds true, Google is heading the way of the iPhone, including the cult of Nexus. I want the choice to swap batteries, I want the choice of a sdcard or not ("for security reasons".

Timely updates, timely updates....talk to Verizon Gnex owners.
    Thanked by 4:
    frettfreak and LegalAmerican like this.

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

Here's my take on that. In my experience, any phone that has had LG's skin on it has been really slow and buggy. I don't know for sure if I would buy the Optimus G because of the skin, but those specs are pretty stellar. I'm hoping that they have more than 8GB or even several different sizes. If they manage to come out with a 32GB option, and if we see one on Verizon (not likely), then it will be a pretty great option. I'm sitting here very happy with my Galaxy Nexus, so I'll be skipping this generation, but I'd love to be able to recommend it to those who are curious.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

Actually Pizza, GNex was 4.65... So, 4.65-.2=4.45, it's about the same size, a little larger than The GNex. Seriously people, I don't know, if you need a huge *** battery, run a better ROM or don't get a Nexus... Go for a Motorola if it's about the battery. Wait for the unlockable bootloader or deal with slow updates. Also, I was lucky to have an LG with 2.2 back when it was all stock Android
    Happy Nexus 4 User

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by TauSigmaNova View Post
    Actually Pizza, GNex was 4.65... So, 4.65-.2=4.45, it's about the same size, a little larger than The GNex. Seriously people, I don't know, if you need a huge *** battery, run a better ROM or don't get a Nexus... Go for a Motorola if it's about the battery. Wait for the unlockable bootloader or deal with slow updates. Also, I was lucky to have an LG with 2.2 back when it was all stock Android
    ok, my math was off, but my statement stands, the screen is going backwards. About the same size is not equal to the same size. Battery only becomes important when you offer a battery that can not be removed. This brings us back to the days of having to be tethered to the wall like a land line. Sure you can have a mobile battery pack, but it is still not the same as having an extra battery.

I have no great love for Moto, I was just using it as a reference for the way it has to be if you are going to make it non-removable. Using a different ROM is good to an extent, but they only can be as good as what it has to work with.

Personally I wanted more. If they would have made it with a removable battery and in 32 GB, I would have given it an honest shot. Still more than likely gone with a different route, but would have been more open.

Slow updates right now are par for the course unfortunately. I want it to change, I am hopeful that the leaked information from the other day holds true. Lets do a "nexus certified" kinda thing. Any manufacturer can make a nexus certified device at any time as long as the FIRST choice for OS is pure Android, TW, Sense, Blur and whatever else is added as an option

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I've heard bad things about LG's previous devices, but I've also read that their more recent devices like the Optimus G are of better quality. Also, most of the problems should be fixed with a Nexus device. I'm happy no matter what the manufacturer is, although I would have preferred another Samsung Nexus. I like their designs.

No one has mentioned what I believe to be the absolute worst reason to not want an LG Nexus device: T-Mobile G2x.

In the beginning everything looked excellent on paper: great hardware, decent design, the first dual-core phone, a vanilla Google experience. The problem with LG, and still is the problem now, is that they don't know how to effectively implement software on a device. The phone was (and still a bit is) plagued with software issues and LG has treated the phone like anything but a flagship device. Stock is still 2.3.4 Gingerbread and even custom ROMs like CM can only bring fully functional builds to 2.3.7.

My number one concern is that LG will bring the hardware goods, but will somehow once again fail to deliver a clean, fast, bug-free user experience.
    Thanked by:
    tjhop4292 and mwara244 like this.

Re:LG phones
    My first flip phones were LG's...I'd say comparable to the stuff that was out at the time. Nothing to complain about. Good phone for cheap price. My first "feature" phone was an LG Chocolate touch. I liked the size, internal song storage, and f.m. radio. I remember internet access was slow at best, but the sound was decent. I also remember it to be slightly buggy....it was also one of my favorite phones....I'm sure other owners have probably had worse experiences, and others had better. Now I have a Bionic, and I have to admit that I am shocked by all the complaints people have with this phone. My Bionic has been nothing but awesome! I've never had a single problem at ALL. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    I guess my point is, you could have the latest-greatest most expensive feature laden phone, and it could still turn out to be a brick. happens. If you find something that works for you, who gives a rats *** about who hates it? =D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM 9.1

I voted no opinion. The LG Optimus S (?) was my first android phone and although I did have to send it in to get replaced a couple times (don't remember the reasons) I liked the phone and it was good for a free entry level/budget phone.

I personally have only heard bad things about LG. I think it's a bad idea to make a tablet from a brand lots of people already hate. That will only make people on the fence about switching to Android more resistant to doing so. Plus it will give them bad press which will result in the iSheep coming out and saying things like how bad Android and their products are. We need to get behind a product we can rely on. That's why I think ASUS was a good first choice for the Nexus 7. I think their next one should be a Samsung tablet. Everyone loves the Galaxy S3, but what if there was a pure Google version. That would be amazing, plus we can trust in quality of product that Samsung makes. I'm not sure the same can be said by LG. If LG makes the next Nexus I will probably just go with the next ASUS Transformer instead.
    mwara244 likes this.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I've been using my T-Mobile G2X since May of 2011 and while the hardware is pretty good, I'm still stuck on Gingerbread because LG refuses to open source their Tegra 2 video drivers and reneged on their promise to release ICS for the G2X and the European version LG 2X. It was one of the first crop of dual core processor phones and shipped with nearly vanilla Gingerbread. I was fooled into believing it would be similar to a Nexus device because of the nearly plain vanilla build. This was before Cyanogen started working for Samsung and when I heard he was buying the G2X for himself and would be developing for the G2X I was sold. I learned the hard way that open source is a relative concept. If the drivers are not open source, the developers are severely limited in what they can do. I spent three months trying every different ICS build for the G2X and while I loved the benefits of ICS there were just so many things that didn't work the way they were supposed to. I had a chance to borrow my son's G2X for a while after he got a Galaxy Nexus and for the hell of it tried Hellfire's Gingerbread build. I was shocked how much I had given up for the sake of ICS and switched my daily driver back to Gingerbread. I swore I wouldn't go back to ICS until the drivers became available. Sadly, LG backed out of their commitment to releasing ICS for the G2X and developement on XDA and Open Kang for the G2X has slowed to a crawl. At this point, if LG is the only Nexus phone manufacturer I will get a Galaxy Note II and put CM10 on it. It may not be a Nexus but I am very confident it will have a very robust development community and the hardware it cutting edge. Rumor has it that it has the LTE radios for T-Mobile's LTE network when it launches in 2013 so it will be future proof as much as one can hope for.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast