Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I want the Nexus 4 but I have Verizon

So I really like the Nexus 4 and I would love to buy an unlocked phone at that price point. However, I have an unlimited data plan from Verizon and I would really like to keep that. Is there anyway for me to kind of suspend my service so I'm not paying much for my Verizon line so I can just get a T Mobile plan for my Nexus 4? That way I can come back to my unlimited Verizon plan if need be?

I think I already know the unfortunate answer to this question but maybe one of my fellow AC friends can help me out with some ideas I haven't thought of.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

Default Re: I want the Nexus 4 but I have Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by svenEDGE View Post
    So I really like the Nexus 4 and I would love to buy an unlocked phone at that price point. However, I have an unlimited data plan from Verizon and I would really like to keep that. Is there anyway for me to kind of suspend my service so I'm not paying much for my Verizon line so I can just get a T Mobile plan for my Nexus 4? That way I can come back to my unlimited Verizon plan if need be?

I think I already know the unfortunate answer to this question but maybe one of my fellow AC friends can help me out with some ideas I haven't thought of.

Extremely unlikely....Some cell companies allow you to suspend and only pay a smaller fee(iirc its $12 on Sprint)and then pick it up. Usually is in case of a hardship or leaving the states for some amount of time. But they don't let you do it forever and its very possible when you came back your unlimited data would be gone.

So, its not a good idea. Unfortunately its best to choose the service/price that works for you first and then choose the phone.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Extremely unlikely....Some cell companies allow you to suspend and only pay a smaller fee(iirc its $12 on Sprint)and then pick it up. Usually is in case of a hardship or leaving the states for some amount of time. But they don't let you do it forever and its very possible when you came back your unlimited data would be gone.

So, its not a good idea. Unfortunately its best to choose the service/price that works for you first and then choose the phone.
    Kinda what I figured. Its just so hard for me to justify paying $600-$700 (not including tax) for a phone.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

Kinda what I figured. Its just so hard for me to justify paying $600-$700 (not including tax) for a phone.

Makes sense.....Contracts are good for that and thrive on ppl thinking with that mentality. But lets take ST for an example vs maybe a $80 a month plan. ST would be about $48 ish after taxes while Verizon would be more like $90 or so. Total price over 2 years for Verizon at that price would be $2160 and you pay about $200 normally after subsidy. The ST plan turns out to be $1152 after 2 years which says if you pay $1000 for a phone you are still saving money going that route. Granted you are on a grandfathered plan and tbh I don't even think there is an $80 plan, they are more expensive atm. I just used it because I know there is a prepaid $80 Verizon plan.

You'd have to do your own math but you can certainly save money over being on a contract.

I wouldn't want to tell you to give up unlimited data though, its an awesome feature on Verizon. Only thing is if you don't use that unlimited to its full potential it may not be worth keeping at all. I'm personally going testing out my usage right now to see where to move on from here. I gave up Sprint since I've been sick of waiting for LTE and the data speeds are stupid slow. I'll likely go back to ST from T-Mo atm if I find out I don't need unlimited data. Need a few months of testing first.

Every area is different so its hard to give much advice.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I'm in the same boat. I kind of want the LG Nexus, but I'm very hesitant to leave Verizon. Coverage is just awesome.
    AZDROIDX likes this.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Black Man X just tweeted this:

Mobile Panda ‏@black_man_x
    So... Is Verizon really ready to give the nexus another chance? Hmm January may bring a happy new year for team big red..
    AZDROIDX and Canuckfan like this.

ROM
    CM10 JellyBro | Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by rdoanecu View Post
    A Verizon phone available straight from the Google Store? I wonder if it'll come with LTE?

@droid_life never hype. Lol Just want to see if all these nexus lovers on Verizon are willing to pony up for true dev prices...
    Last edited by Canuckfan; 10-28-2012 at 07:35 PM.

I also am on Vzw with GN. I don't want to wait until January to get this phone though.. If the device is out unlocked before then I will buy unlocked. Just tired of Verizon putting restrictions on things... plus the longer you wait something new and shiny is always right around the corner lol

Quote Originally Posted by PDFierro3 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I kind of want the LG Nexus, but I'm very hesitant to leave Verizon. Coverage is just awesome.
    But are u like normal ppl where u are in ur place of work and home 90% of the time? The. As ling as u get good coverage in those places and let's say around ur town then what's the big deal? Ya I am on ST AT&T came from Verizon and loved the coverage but realized in my town I get the same coverage between att and Verizon. And ya maybe when I go up in the mountains I'll be on Edge or just have enough to talk or text. Or when I drive somewhere I'll lose service a few miles before my Verizon phone would but as long as in my town and most of the places I go I get service then I'd much rather have a GSM carrier. Faster data speeds and things like this where most other countries use GSM so a lot of the phones u see released in Asia/Europe come over to att T-Mobile but it takes longer to get to Verizon ans sprint because they are cdma

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I definitely need unlimited data. I can use anywhere from 20-40 GB a month. And I'm only paying like $40 a month because I'm grandfathered in. I can't leave that behind. I just did a quick look at T mobile and sprint and its like $90-$109. I'll stick with VZW. And what is "ST?"?

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

You can suspend your service without billing for 3 months. Then activate it for a day and repeat. As far as I know this would work, but you'd have to use a different # with your T-MO service, so you could still have your original # tied to your account. To suspend your VZW service without billing, login to your VZW.com account online.

Personally I'm dropping Sprint here towards the end of November. I've been addressing coverage i recieve under ST(ATT) and TMO, debating on which plan is best for my needs. I've looked at my data usage throughout the past months, keeping a tally on consumption and circumstances. I've come to the conclusion i don't generally use more than 2.5 gigs at most, with two to three hours of streaming pandora during a workday or driving/commuting. As much as i like the word unlimited, i've come to terms that it's not something I need. Even more so when my service is broken and unreliable in my home area.

ST=Straight Talk. ST has a pretty solid unlimited everything plan for 45/month. However their data policy is vague.

What most are saying with putting your line on hold could be a good idea, at least to address your wants and needs in a phone plan. Place your verizon line on hold for a month or two and use a ST plan or a TMO plan, this way you're not paying for two plans, but you can also go back to your original plan if you're not satisfied.

I also doubt the new Nexus will cost as much as a Galaxy Note, but rumors are rumors and you can't know until Google has the final say. Personally I expect 400 for 8GB and 450 for 16, but i don't place a lot of weight on that opinion.

In fact I just bought a Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store to pass around the family to test coverage and reliability in the home, at work, school, etc. I expect the price to drop for that phone as well, but 350 is still a great price for a great phone. At that price there's no point in using a carrier, at least for me.

ROM
    Jelly Beans build 6

Hi everyone! I currently have an iphone 4 on verizon and have an upgrade in january. I will be switching to android. Do you guys think there will be a LG nexus ever to come to verizon or even a different brand of nexus coming to verizon? I really wanted a nexus phone and i can not switch to another carrier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I definitely need unlimited data. I can use anywhere from 20-40 GB a month. And I'm only paying like $40 a month because I'm grandfathered in. I can't leave that behind. I just did a quick look at T mobile and sprint and its like $90-$109. I'll stick with VZW. And what is "ST?"?

I wish you luck in keeping that plan moving forward.....But at that price don't ever drop the plan. Be happy with what you have.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,262 Global Posts

OP write to Verizon and tell them to stop being such control freaks with Nexus devices. The Galaxy nexus was a bad experience for Google when dealing with Verizon.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

I have spring t and want a nexus 4!! How can the nexus line succeed without multi carrier support

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    I have spring t and want a nexus 4!! How can the nexus line succeed without multi carrier support

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    How did the iPhone survive without multi carrier support?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Unlocked Atrix bootloader

So... Is Verizon really ready to give the nexus another chance? Hmm January may bring a happy new year for team big red..

Excuse me, isn't the question more one of is Google ready to give Verizon another chance? And the answer to that is "Are you serious?"
    (GSM) Galaxy Nexus on AT&T
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post

Excuse me, isn't the question more one of is Google ready to give Verizon another chance? And the answer to that is "Are you serious?"
    Yup, it's clear that Google has a hard time wanting to play ball--again.

Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Why don't you just use your verizon phone as a hotspot + phone calls and then use a Nexus 7 for all internet and app stuff? N7 will hold its own just fine against N4, and for many people, N7 is still very portable. Just a thought, since I barely use my Android phone once I got N7.
    I am NOT the person set as my icon, and no, I don't know who she is.
    Thanked by:
    AZDROIDX likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Well today I went to Verizon and pretty much got my questions answered. It looks like I'm gonna keep Verizon. I did some shopping and realized how good I have it. I'm paying like half the price of anything else I found and I have unlimited data with the best coverage and the fastest speeds. It sucks that I can't get a nexus but the guy at Verizon gave me a way to pay the upgrade price while maintaining my unlimited. He just told me to use one of the other lines upgrade that's on my plan and then just activate that phone on my line. So I guess I'll get the note II or the DNA.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by crl95 View Post
    Hi everyone! I currently have an iphone 4 on verizon and have an upgrade in january. I will be switching to android. Do you guys think there will be a LG nexus ever to come to verizon or even a different brand of nexus coming to verizon? I really wanted a nexus phone and i can not switch to another carrier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    There were lots of problems with the galaxy nexus on Verizon so I highly doubt we'll see another phone with the word "nexus" in the name from Verizon. But I don't think that a phone with a pure Google experience is out of the question. What is it about nexus that really makes you want it? Just out of curiosity

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Because nexus is pure android lol

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Verizon will let you suspend service, but for a max of 30 days I believe. I'm currently a subscribers and temp suspended my service because I lost a ph+ 42Mbps may be a lil slower than than the LTE speeds I get, but I'll serious appreciate the improved battery life as HSPA+ is a battery hog like LTE. That plus the REAL Nexus experience and the savings (where I can use an employee discount and/or have my job pay up to $45/mo for data) is a major Win for me.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It is NOT, I repeat NOT coming to sprint or vzw, per Rubin himself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast