Restarting an Android device without a removable battery during a freeze

ArrTooDeeToo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm not getting the Nexus 4 for a few reasons. The main reason being I already have a Galaxy Nexus on a 2 year contract, and I'm on Verizon.

There are also other reasons. The device just doesn't excite me like the Galaxy Nexus did. First off, I love the curved glass. Why is it absent from this iteration?? Also, is it me, or are they shrinking the internal storage on devices year by year? And WHY? It's almost as if they're in cahoots with the carriers to force people to use cloud storage and eat up data (tin foil hat...) And now, we have a non removable battery! This is my biggest gripe with the device.

Anyone who flashes custom ROMS knows that freezes can (and will) happen. On the XOOM, this is an easy fix since all you have to do is press power and up on the volume key for a hard reset. Unfortunately, this trick doesn't work at all on the Galaxy Nexus. I have had to pull my battery numerous times. I know you can always plug it into a PC and adb reboot the thing, but most of the time when it happens, I'm out in the real world away from my computer.

So, is there something I'm missing here, a trick I haven't figured out yet on how to reset a frozen Nexus without yanking the battery? Why would Google choose to frustrate the hacking community with such a stupid design?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm not getting the Nexus 4 for a few reasons. The main reason being I already have a Galaxy Nexus on a 2 year contract, and I'm on Verizon.

There are also other reasons. The device just doesn't excite me like the Galaxy Nexus did. First off, I love the curved glass. Why is it absent from this iteration?? Also, is it me, or are they shrinking the internal storage on devices year by year? And WHY? It's almost as if they're in cahoots with the carriers to force people to use cloud storage and eat up data (tin foil hat...) And now, we have a non removable battery! This is my biggest gripe with the device.

Anyone who flashes custom ROMS knows that freezes can (and will) happen. On the XOOM, this is an easy fix since all you have to do is press power and up on the volume key for a hard reset. Unfortunately, this trick doesn't work at all on the Galaxy Nexus. I have had to pull my battery numerous times. I know you can always plug it into a PC and adb reboot the thing, but most of the time when it happens, I'm out in the real world away from my computer.

So, is there something I'm missing here, a trick I haven't figured out yet on how to reset a frozen Nexus without yanking the battery? Why would Google choose to frustrate the hacking community with such a stupid design?

I believe the curved glass is because of the LCD vs AMOLED tech, not totally sure about that but thats what I hear.

Idk if the Nexus has a way to reset or not but this version will have it obviously since, like the xoom, you can't remove the battery.

akhan47

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Freeze? I've had my Samsung Galaxy Nexus since launch and it has never ever flat out 'frozen' on me. Might have restarted itself once or twice though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes. For the Nexus 7, which also has a sealed battery, you can do this:

Hold the power button in until it restarts. Or, alternatively, hold down the proper button configuration to manually get into the bootloader (Power + Vol. Down).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad