HSPA+ 21 vs 42, does it matter?

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on t-mo and I have a GNex currently which is HSPA+ 21. Looks like the Nexus 4 is HSPA+ 21 as well. Would there be a big difference from 21 to 42? Does it matter at all?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm on t-mo and I have a GNex currently which is HSPA+ 21. Looks like the Nexus 4 is HSPA+ 21 as well. Would there be a big difference from 21 to 42? Does it matter at all?

I think so. But it depends on what you consider if it matters.....If you don't need 20 down and super fast speeds(which ideally nobody should)then it shouldn't make much difference. But I do think there is a significant difference in speeds.

In the same place my GN got 6 down while my GS3 got 20 down. So I'd say there is a big difference, but I don't exactly NEED 20 down.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
HSPA+ 42 makes a big difference if you have a carrier that supports it.

It seems as though Google has made a typo on its Play Store device page. With confirmation from T-Mobile in it's own press release and various other sources, the Nexus 4 looks to have HSPA+ 42mbps (aka DC-HSPA+) onboard.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

It seems as though Google has made a typo on its Play Store device page. With confirmation from T-Mobile in it's own press release and various other sources, the Nexus 4 looks to have HSPA+ 42mbps (aka DC-HSPA+) onboard.

Hmm, you sure about that? I noticed T-Mo said it but I think they were just bragging about their network and not actually claiming what the phone is capable of.

I'd be thrilled if you were right though.

drewsg

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it does. One of the reasons why I returned the Galaxy Nexus is because the speeds weren't as fast as the 42mpbs Galaxy S2. I'm not talking about super high speeds either. In places where I would get only 2-3Mbps on the Galaxy Nexus, I would get 5-6Mpbs on the Galaxy S2.. speeds were better all across the board.

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, you sure about that? I noticed T-Mo said it but I think they were just bragging about their network and not actually claiming what the phone is capable of.

I'd be thrilled if you were right though.

I'd also be happy if you were right as the HSPA+ would definitely help the transition from the GNex LTE... we need firm confirmation from a legitimate source!

drewsg

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile will continue its history of providing customers with the best Android devices available, including two of the newest options: the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.

The Nexus 4 is the latest device in the Google Nexus lineup, and T-Mobile will be the premier U.S. launch partner. With cutting-edge hardware designed collaboratively by LG and Google, favorite Google Apps, and the latest version of Android, Nexus 4 puts the best of Google in the palm of a customer's hand. And, with access to T-Mobile's fastest 4G (HSPA+42) network, T-Mobile is again giving its customers the best choice of devices. Nexus 4 comes with a high-performance 8MP camera and takes stunning Photo Sphere images to capture every detail of the world. The all-new camera lets customers quickly view and edit photos with powerful new tools, and share favorite shots in a snap. When combined with T-Mobile's Value plans or T-Mobile's Unlimited Nationwide 4G Data plan, the Nexus 4 gives consumers a top-notch Android experience.

From the T-Mobile press release.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Source or I call bull .

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think in the event that T-Mobiles specific version supports 42 and the Unlocked device supports 21, I would still opt for the unlocked device.

drewsg

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Like I said above....that doesn't rly tell me this phone is capable of HSPA+ 42, it's saying what T-Mobile's network is capable of. At least that is how I read it.

Um.. what? Why would it say it has access to HSPA+ 42, if it doesn't?

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
It gets even more complicated...

Now some sites are claiming that the Tmobile version (the one for $ 200 subsidized) will offer up to 42 speeds.
The Google store version won't.

I guess they took that from T-Mobile's statement which is far from obvious....I personally don't think they will go to that extent- 2 different antennas - it's more likely that T-mobile mentioned in its press release 42 but doesn't actually state that the phone will get there.

"access to T-Mobile's fastest 4G (HSPA+42) network" Access to it...

What do you guys think?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Um.. what? Why would it say it has access to HSPA+ 42, if it doesn't?

Because it has access to their HSPA network. Doesn't say it has the ability to USE that network. :confused:

Fact is, Google claims it doesn't so atm I will go with what they say. It's possible they misprinted that and its supposed to be more, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It gets even more complicated...

Now some sites are claiming that the Tmobile version (the one for $ 200 subsidized) will offer up to 42 speeds.
The Google store version won't.

I guess they took that from T-Mobile's statement which is far from obvious....I personally don't think they will go to that extent- 2 different antennas - it's more likely that T-mobile mentioned in its press release 42 but doesn't actually state that the phone will get there.

"access to T-Mobile's fastest 4G (HSPA+42) network" Access to it...

What do you guys think?

Okay, so if this is true (?) then will the unlocked version at least get 21 speeds on T-Mobile or does their network not support that?

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I wish Google would have made this HSPA+ 42 capable. That would have been enough to push me over the edge and upgrade from my Gnex...

+1 Phil, love the Spinal Tap moment!

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so if this is true (?) then will the unlocked version at least get 21 speeds on T-Mobile or does their network not support that?

First- both versions are unlocked - even the T-Mobile one.
If you refer to the Google Store version, yes that will 100% get 21 speeds on T-Mobile no matter what.

The question is if the T-Mobile version will be different from the Play Store version, which I doubt.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
There is a difference. In my city HSPA+ 42 beats LTE in some areas. I remember when I had my Note, me and a buddy did a speed tests side by side with his Mytough 4G. His mytouch had 18Mbps down compared to my Note on At&t's LTE which had only around 6Mbps. It just depends on were you are. One thing I did notice is Tmobile's Hspa+ 21 does seem faster than At&t's.