The Verge implies Sprint/Verizon will NEVER get Nexus 4!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Slow lane: why Google's new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE | The Verge

Google may be getting serious about selling hardware with the Nexus 4, but not so serious that it's willing to compromise with carriers, and compromising with carriers is the only way to make LTE work.

And there's precious little to suggest working with carriers is even in Google's best interests, or in the best interests of Nexus customers. The Galaxy Nexus was announced last year with a promised LTE version on Verizon, but the carrier held back releasing the phone for months to promote its own Droid RAZR instead. Google eventually grew tired of waiting and sent unlocked HSPA+ devices to reviewers. And software updates for Nexus phones sold through carriers have been problematic as well: it took the Verizon three full months to disseminate the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update to its Galaxy Nexus, slightly longer than Sprint. That's actually better than it used to be with carrier-partnered Nexus devices, but still much longer what Google can achieve without carrier intervention ? and far too long in a marketplace where Apple has set a standard for simultaneous worldwide software distribution across multiple carriers.

...that means that the Nexus 4 will only be available as an unlocked HSPA+ device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll wait to see if there's a huge advertising blitz for the Nexus 4. $299 unlocked, no-contract from the Play Store is compelling. That's a DROID RAZR MAXX on contract right now.

If Google doesn't go all-out marketing availability of this device and/or no LTE carrier variants are released, I'll continue to think of Nexus as just a "hobby" for Google.

Last edited:

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad Google is saying no to CDMA carriers. Leave it up to Verizon and Sprint to screw up the timely updates that Nexus devices should get. How long did it take for Sprint and Verizon to release Jellybean? Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a Nexus devices when your on one of these two carriers. PLUS Verizon screwed up by blocking Google wallet initially on the Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure Google wont repeat this mistake again by making devices available to such control freaks, more power to them.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait to see if there's a huge advertising blitz for the Nexus 4. $299 unlocked, no-contract from the Play Store is compelling. That's a DROID RAZR MAXX on contract right now.

If Google doesn't go all-out marketing availability of this device and no LTE carrier variants are released, I'll continue to think of Nexus as just a "hobby" for Google.

This one thing we can both agree on except I always thought of Google as a kind at the playground playing in a sandbox labeled "Nexus".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Its unfortunate but after reading this article the Nexus 4 will never go to a cdma carrier. Im staying with sprint and my s3. I would have loved to get the nexus 4 but, Its not coming. I think google had enough of cdma carriers.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry for those who are on Verizon & Sprint who can't get the Nexus 4 but, I'm glad Google is doing it this way. This is how it all started before with the Nexus One. I don't care if it doesn't out sell other phones, it's the type of phone I like (unlocked pure Google). Hopefully some day a company like Light-squared will be able to offer LTE as an alternative to Verizon or At&t.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad Google is saying no to CDMA carriers. Leave it up to Verizon and Sprint to screw up the timely updates that Nexus devices should get. How long did it take for Sprint and Verizon to release Jellybean? Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a Nexus devices when your on one of these two carriers. PLUS Verizon screwed up by blocking Google wallet initially on the Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure Google wont repeat this mistake again by making devices available to such control freaks, more power to them.

Actually the ns4g got jb before the gsm nexus s got it the same for the sprint sgs3

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well my contract with sprint is up in 3 days.. Looks like I'm leaving because I REALLLY want this phone. And I did the math and buying this phone and switching to T-mobile will make me save $300/year as opposed to be buying the GS3 by extending my Sprint contract.

I just hope T-mobile has good service?

GatorGrad

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I get the crowd that's excited about Google saying enough with CDMA 4G but from a business standpoint, they're basically cutting off their nose to spite their face. AT&T and Verizon are the largest subscriber bases out there and both have the iPhone with LTE. How many customers do you reallly think are going to say, sure I'll take a terrible data connection just to have access to this phone. Not many. Yeah, Google gets to stand on their high horse and proclaim that they didn't give in but that doesn't count for much (if anything) when a company is trying to gaine market share. I have Verizon and I have a Galaxy Nexus. I HATE all the brand-specific skins for Android and love the Nexus. Am I willing to downgrade to 3G? Heck no. If there are no other options when my contract is up I'll get an iPhone instead. How're those principles helping out Google now?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I get the crowd that's excited about Google saying enough with CDMA 4G but from a business standpoint, they're basically cutting off their nose to spite their face. AT&T and Verizon are the largest subscriber bases out there and both have the iPhone with LTE. How many customers do you reallly think are going to say, sure I'll take a terrible data connection just to have access to this phone. Not many. Yeah, Google gets to stand on their high horse and proclaim that they didn't give in but that doesn't count for much (if anything) when a company is trying to gaine market share. I have Verizon and I have a Galaxy Nexus. I HATE all the brand-specific skins for Android and love the Nexus. Am I willing to downgrade to 3G? Heck no. If there are no other options when my contract is up I'll get an iPhone instead. How're those principles helping out Google now?

Again, here's the thing..

Does Google want the Nexus to be the iPhone? Remember - Google is already getting everything they want and need out of all of the Android devices running Google services. Android is already winning the marketshare battle.

I think the perfect storm would be for Google to release a phone like this at that price after T-Mobile has purchased and integrated MetroPCS.

JM4G1C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon and I have a Galaxy Nexus. I HATE all the brand-specific skins for Android and love the Nexus. Am I willing to downgrade to 3G? Heck no. If there are no other options when my contract is up I'll get an iPhone instead.

Took the words right out of my mou... or keyboard... at any rate "what he said". I've only had my Galaxy Nexus for a few months now and I absolutely love it... however... with this latest development I can't see myself going back to the skinned Android route with the S3... no matter how great a phone it is or the availability of custom ROMs... might as well... gasp... hop on the LTE iPhone 5 wagon and call it a day!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Well my contract with sprint is up in 3 days.. Looks like I'm leaving because I REALLLY want this phone. And I did the math and buying this phone and switching to T-mobile will make me save $300/year as opposed to be buying the GS3 by extending my Sprint contract.

It only has HSPA+ 21, which is half the speed of the modern HSPA+ 41. From what I've read, HSPA+ 21 sees about 2mbps in most places. There are areas where you can get lucky and get more than that but it's not LTE.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Thing is hard to maintain 2nd version of device just to satisfy 2 networks in US where the rest use GSM and it seems like they like to keep nexus 4 out of carriers dirty marketing hands. Sprint/Verizon always will have that problem as they choose less-popular (if not practically dead among carriers) mobile network standard, as long as they use it they will have problem to deliver you latest devices... yes, they the one who need to deliver you device by CDMA limitations. I know that for them at this point it's hard to switch to GSM... but still it's there problem, not manufactures that would need to please just 2 networks in US.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It only has HSPA+ 21, which is half the speed of the modern HSPA+ 41. From what I've read, HSPA+ 21 sees about 2mbps in most places. There are areas where you can get lucky and get more than that but it's not LTE.

Poor service area.

And it's been confirmed to have 42mbps HSPA+.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

That's the big debate for myself--I may try AT&T prepaid to be honest.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Any of you guys follow mobile panda? He hinted at maybe a nexus release for Verizon in Jan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I suggest you try the $30 T-Mo Walmart plan for a month and test service in your area. If it isn't good you might want to go the route of Straight talk if you can maintain your data usage.

That's the big debate for myself--I may try AT&T prepaid to be honest.

I suggest checking into Straight Talk, better price than the AT&T prepaid and use same towers. Just a suggestion. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome