Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90
Like Tree67Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?
    Look at prepaid and mvno prices and it'll explain that.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  2. #27  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?
    Because prepaid deals and a lack of ETF can ultimately equal savings over the long run, especially since this thing, off contract, is barely more than most high end devices (which this is) on contract/subsidized.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?
    350 + $50 a month for straight talk so I'd pay $950 for a year of unlimited everything. Verizon let's say I get a $199 phone. Plus I'd pay 70$ for the 4gb share everything I use 3-4gb on straight talk so just trying to be fair. Plus its $40 I believe per smartphone. So $110 a month plus tax it'd be about $125 with no insurance just like I have on straight talk. So that's $200 plus $1500 so $1700 total. Straight talk is almost half the price. That's a lot of money to be saved. Plus no contract. But straight talk doesn't have 4g LTE so its a trade off really.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    dakid2k6yfan 
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I never understood the people that needed their entire music collection on their phone.

    But I guess I have that now with Google Music.

    All of my music has been uploaded to the cloud. I've made various playlists. If needed, I just "pin" playlists or specific songs or albums to save them to my phone for offline use. When I don't need them, back to the cloud they go.
    +1000000000000000000000000000000 about music... i have all my collection on google music. it just feels great.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and bkorver like this.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    At some point their will only be lte. HSDPA+ might not be around in a few years.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by spacecasespiff View Post
    At some point their will only be lte. HSDPA+ might not be around in a few years.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    If anything don't u think they would get rid of edge, keep 3g to fall back on when out of LTE range?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  7. #32  
    berrydroidapple's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Franco

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Upgrade on sprint hits in 2 days, but I'm not doing it. Contract up in February, not extending. I've been using a Galaxy Exhibit for a few months now on tmobile prepaid, and love it.

    Nexus 4 willl be on tmobile prepaid

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Acer C720 Chromebook, iPhone 4 32GB , and Lumia 635
    John-Smith likes this.
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    You can use Google Music which will hold all your music and when you are away from a data connection you can pin songs to listen to offline. If you can I'd recommend getting the $30 t-mobile plan as it includes 5gb of data and is off contract.
    Nexus 7 Rooted with Jelly Bean 4.1.2
    Nexus 4 4.2.2 w/ PA 3+ & Franco Kernel
    Thanked by:
    berrydroidapple likes this.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrm View Post
    You can use Google Music which will hold all your music and when you are away from a data connection you can pin songs to listen to offline. If you can I'd recommend getting the $30 t-mobile plan as it includes 5gb of data and is off contract.
    But only 100 minutes, spotty T-mobile coverage, no roaming on prepaid.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
    But only 100 minutes, spotty T-mobile coverage, no roaming on prepaid.
    U could use straight AT&T.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  11. #36  

    Default Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    If anything don't u think they would get rid of edge, keep 3g to fall back on when out of LTE range?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    There isn't really any reason in the long run to do that, if they can get sorted out the voice over LTE issue. This is years down the road though, for the purposes of this handset, it has HSPA+42 and a network to deliver that though the likely lifetime of the device.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    U could use straight AT&T.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    But they have a unofficial "cap" of 200MB /day & 2GB/month else they will cancel your account for "hogging" bandwidth.
  13. #38  
    TheUI's Avatar

    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted/Jailbroken - Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?
    Well, I'm glad you asked.

    I have one month left on my Sprint contract. The handsets I would consider getting from them (as a reference point) are the GS3 and the Note 2. $200 and $300 respectively, plus a $90/mo (at least) bill. LTE is not slated for my area, and my 3G speeds are sub 1Mb down, at all times. T-Mobile, on the other hand has their HSPA+ band up and running in my area, and the coverage is good throughout the metro which is where I spend nearly all of my time.

    The reason I prefaced with that statement is because, as always, you have to consider what is going on in your neighborhood before making these decisions.

    So $200 + 90(24) = $2360 for EDGE speeds and the update lottery prone GS3 (although in fairness to Sprint, they are getting it done with this handset).

    Versus

    $350 + $30(24) = $1070 for HSPA+ speeds, cutting edge hardware and updates directly from Google.

    $2360 - 1070 = $1290 in savings over the length of a two year contract. Or, if you prefer to look at this way, buy two years off contract and get the next two years free and STILL have about $100 left over towards that new Nexus.

    Haha, the carriers are crook'n us big time. It's a gouge, and I am more than happy to cast my vote towards the invisible hand in favor of both my wallet and of the consumer.

    *shrug*
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
    But they have a unofficial "cap" of 200MB /day & 2GB/month else they will cancel your account for "hogging" bandwidth.
    I use 3-4 gb a month for the past 4-5 months on straight talk with no problems.I think it depends on where u live what kind of congestion the towers get and what not

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  15. #40  
    DirkBelig's Avatar

    Posts
    1,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I encourage everyone to read this article explaining the lack of LTE in the Nexus 4: Slow lane: why Google's new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE | The Verge If Android Central had run an informative article like this here, a LOT of the nerd rage and teeth-gnashing, including mine, would've been mitigated.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:
    Mobimop and ChromeJob like this.
  16. #41  

    Default Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I don't think iPhone can be ragged on anymore. No lte, no sd slot. It's not what the android fanboys made it out to be. I just find the double standard amusing. Defending the phone for doing what iPhone did. Whatever. I was going to go off contract for a direct nexus device. Guess ill stick with my gs3 with late updates.
  17. #42  
    ihtc's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    The reason LTE is important is because of the low Freq. atleast on verizon. I know here even in NYC, Tmobile gets great speeds... outside. The GSM networks in the US (again speaking from NY NJ experience) just aren't as reliable as Verizons CDMA. I would LOVE LOVE.. again LOVE to break free from verizon but two things keep me from it.. 1) I am on an old plan with heavy discounts so im not "over paying" 2) the service really is good. That being said if I had to pay their regular prices with the new share plans I wouldn't. Back onto the LTE vs HSPA+ subject, anyone who used both will tell you the latency alone on LTE makes it worth it and you never get the same reliable sustained speeds or latencey on HSPA+ IN comparison to to LTE... Remember don't judge by the speedtest app, real world usage is not sitting running speedtests but things like web browsing, email, and other forms of communication that rely on good latency. All this being said i will buy a nexus to try out on att prepaid (ST) :P

    PS: Its a shame the general marketplace doesn't love a good stock android device as much as iphones or google could force the carriers to do as they say just like apple does to them.
    Complete phone addict...
  18. #43  
    Ziptied's Avatar
    Your Resident Googler

    Posts
    537 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Lack of LTE is a non issue with me, the speeds aren't that much better for the battery life or cost of the carriers who have it, and I have issues using more than 12gig's on my GNex, I love the N4.
  19. #44  
    DirkBelig's Avatar

    Posts
    1,294 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtc View Post
    Back onto the LTE vs HSPA+ subject, anyone who used both will tell you the latency alone on LTE makes it worth it and you never get the same reliable sustained speeds or latencey on HSPA+ IN comparison to to LTE... Remember don't judge by the speedtest app, real world usage is not sitting running speedtests but things like web browsing, email, and other forms of communication that rely on good latency.
    Latency. You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means. Web surfing and email have to be the LEAST affected by latency things you'll do online. We're not talking about needing a fast ping for an online shooter; we're talking reading an email. Perhaps waiting that 1/10th of a second longer for a web page to come up is brutal to you, but I suspect most people wouldn't even notice and if they did, they'd chalk it up to slow throughput.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
    I don't think iPhone can be ragged on anymore. No lte, no sd slot. It's not what the android fanboys made it out to be. I just find the double standard amusing. Defending the phone for doing what iPhone did. Whatever. I was going to go off contract for a direct nexus device. Guess ill stick with my gs3 with late updates.
    How do you know the same ppl who remarked anything about the iPhone and those features are the one who have no problems with the N4? I personally have never liked the iPhone because of ios, not because of its build.

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtc View Post
    The reason LTE is important is because of the low Freq. atleast on verizon. I know here even in NYC, Tmobile gets great speeds... outside. The GSM networks in the US (again speaking from NY NJ experience) just aren't as reliable as Verizons CDMA. I would LOVE LOVE.. again LOVE to break free from verizon but two things keep me from it.. 1) I am on an old plan with heavy discounts so im not "over paying" 2) the service really is good. That being said if I had to pay their regular prices with the new share plans I wouldn't. Back onto the LTE vs HSPA+ subject, anyone who used both will tell you the latency alone on LTE makes it worth it and you never get the same reliable sustained speeds or latencey on HSPA+ IN comparison to to LTE... Remember don't judge by the speedtest app, real world usage is not sitting running speedtests but things like web browsing, email, and other forms of communication that rely on good latency. All this being said i will buy a nexus to try out on att prepaid (ST) :P

    PS: Its a shame the general marketplace doesn't love a good stock android device as much as iphones or google could force the carriers to do as they say just like apple does to them.
    The problem here has been explained WHY they can't rly go LTE. There is no need to. I understand ppl want it who are on Verizon but why in the world with over a billion phone users on the planet does a simple 1/10th of them need to be fully satisfied. It's just not even feasible to do so since even if Google made the phone and made everybody super happy that they got a phone for Verizon, Verizon would say no thx we won't let you activate that here.

    So Google did what they HAD to do. If ppl don't like it and are Verizon then show Verizon how much you hate their policys and move on.

    As for LTE vs HSPA, you have a point with the frequencies. But again not much can be done. The above poster is absolutely correct.....Unless you have unlimited data and end up streaming, or using voip apps all day, or playing FPSers the latency should not exactly effect most phone usage. But the coverage sure is important and HSPA has more of it than LTE.

    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    I encourage everyone to read this article explaining the lack of LTE in the Nexus 4: Slow lane: why Google's new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE | The Verge If Android Central had run an informative article like this here, a LOT of the nerd rage and teeth-gnashing, including mine, would've been mitigated.
    It was a great article but I think most if not all that information was said before even the release in the forums here.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    ChromeJob likes this.
  21. #46  
    hodan's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I am as anti-apple as you can get. And I thought it was ludicrous that the iPhone 4s lacked nfc and LTE. Accordingly, I agree that 16gb is not enough in today's market. Models should've been 16gb and 32gb. I'm happy with my 16gb GNex, but 8gb seems too small. What Goodle has made clear with this phone is that it is truly a reference device, and meant to be sold to geeks like us, and not Joe Public. You are wrong about LTE however, because LTE is carrier specific and Google has this phone priced and positioned I the market as a world phone, usable in many many countries, and with good data speeds in the U.S. Try Sprint's 3g data for a month and then tell me you can't live with 5mb down on T-MO. Also, regarding pricing...this is true disruption, that dented and scratched iPhone 5 that you want so much will cost you 3x as much...but hey....LTE right? And more onboard storage which you'll need because iCloud is crapola.
  22. #47  
    ihtc's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I feel the latency does matter, I am on an late iPad right now (verizon) and in an hspa nexus. The hspa nexus has plenty of raw speed to deliver good web browsing but the bad latency makes the experience much worse. I know this isn't an lte vs. hspa Thad but since we were on the subject I'd throw my 2 cents in. But it is what is it as far as the nexus and I can't blame google for their choice here.
    Complete phone addict...
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    I am as anti-apple as you can get. And I thought it was ludicrous that the iPhone 4s lacked nfc and LTE. Accordingly, I agree that 16gb is not enough in today's market. Models should've been 16gb and 32gb. I'm happy with my 16gb GNex, but 8gb seems too small. What Goodle has made clear with this phone is that it is truly a reference device, and meant to be sold to geeks like us, and not Joe Public. You are wrong about LTE however, because LTE is carrier specific and Google has this phone priced and positioned I the market as a world phone, usable in many many countries, and with good data speeds in the U.S. Try Sprint's 3g data for a month and then tell me you can't live with 5mb down on T-MO. Also, regarding pricing...this is true disruption, that dented and scratched iPhone 5 that you want so much will cost you 3x as much...but hey....LTE right? And more onboard storage which you'll need because iCloud is crapola.
    Ha Goodle.....

    But you are forgetting a key demo that will be buying the phone even more than the geeks. That is the cheap, money saving, somewhat informed crowd. SD already has 38 pages of replies and over 138 TU right now, over 2 weeks before the stupid thing goes up for sale.

    [NEW] Nexus 4- $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB) - Slickdeals.net

    This thing no doubt will sell to ppl who are smart enough to do their research. Because not only is this a great phone for Android fans, its simply the best deal for a phone hands down anywhere without needing to sign your life away to a carrier.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    ConTejas likes this.
  24. #49  
    John-Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    451 Posts
    ROM
    CM 9.1

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by OpenShare View Post
    Well, I'm glad you asked.

    I have one month left on my Sprint contract. The handsets I would consider getting from them (as a reference point) are the GS3 and the Note 2. $200 and $300 respectively, plus a $90/mo (at least) bill. LTE is not slated for my area, and my 3G speeds are sub 1Mb down, at all times. T-Mobile, on the other hand has their HSPA+ band up and running in my area, and the coverage is good throughout the metro which is where I spend nearly all of my time.

    The reason I prefaced with that statement is because, as always, you have to consider what is going on in your neighborhood before making these decisions.

    So $200 + 90(24) = $2360 for EDGE speeds and the update lottery prone GS3 (although in fairness to Sprint, they are getting it done with this handset).

    Versus

    $350 + $30(24) = $1070 for HSPA+ speeds, cutting edge hardware and updates directly from Google.

    $2360 - 1070 = $1290 in savings over the length of a two year contract. Or, if you prefer to look at this way, buy two years off contract and get the next two years free and STILL have about $100 left over towards that new Nexus.

    Haha, the carriers are crook'n us big time. It's a gouge, and I am more than happy to cast my vote towards the invisible hand in favor of both my wallet and of the consumer.

    *shrug*
    This is exactly what I was thinking and how I feel.
  25. #50  
    Chex313's Avatar

    Posts
    602 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I was under whelmed by the offering. No real compelling reason to replace GN. If anything does happen to my phone its nice that the replacement will be a nice uptick in specs. Would have liked LTE, but can do with out. Would have preferred a removable battery, but will do with out it. 16GB of storage is the most annoying thing I have to deal with. I take a lot of pics and vids and have to offload them twice a month. Oh and with LTE our At&t unlimited plans don't get throttled till 5GB without it we still get throttled at 3GB. Thats the most compelling reason why I wish they had made a few SKU's to cover most of the worlds LTE.

    Yeah I would have preferred to pay $500 and had a few more bells and whistles. I am completely enamored with the pure google and I cant go back.

    I hold out hope that there may be a high end offering from somewhere else, or maybe Motorola will put out a high speced phone with pure Android.

    With all this said, Once all the reviews come out and I here a lot of my compadres here give their hands on opinions, I may opt in just to support the "Pure" cause!
    N5 Black 32GB (5.1.1), N4 (5.1), iphone 5 (ios 8.1), ONE+64GB, N7(5.1.1) AT&T
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Potential Android user here!
    By ctt1wbw in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
  2. New Android user here
    By Kerti#AC in forum Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 12:23 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
  4. Recommend apps to other android users in the Market?
    By rexpencoe in forum Market Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
  5. Greetings, new Android user here!
    By Rat A Tat in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions