Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 90
Like Tree67Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtc View Post
    I feel the latency does matter, I am on an late iPad right now (verizon) and in an hspa nexus. The hspa nexus has plenty of raw speed to deliver good web browsing but the bad latency makes the experience much worse. I know this isn't an lte vs. hspa Thad but since we were on the subject I'd throw my 2 cents in. But it is what is it as far as the nexus and I can't blame google for their choice here.
    I'd say generally browsing feels faster on my (work provided) HSPA iPhone 4S than it does on my LTE galaxy S3. Particularly nowadays, LTE doesn't feel that fast anymore and indoor coverage here is actually less reliable than the EVDO its supposedly overlaying, particularly in West downtown Portland.
  2. #52  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by androidfan1479 View Post
    Hey guys. I've had Android since my LG Dare in 2008. Promise I'm not trying to hate or troll or anything here, but I am pretty annoyed at Google right now. I was dying to get the Nexus 4, until I heard it might only have 16GB onboard. Then I found hope in that it was only a rumor, and maybe cloud storage would make okay. Then I realized I can't run apps from a cloud, or listen to music without a data connection (I have 17GB of music alone). Then, Google made my worst nightmares a reality with only 8GB and 16GB options and no expandable storage. Is it too much to ask for 64GB? Even 32? Or a micro sd slot?! I don't care if the price would be higher. I need the space!!!! Then they announced no LTE. WHAT?! Remember the outrage over the iPhone 4 two years ago? That was a bit unjustified, but at this point, not including the latest technology is inexcusable for a flagship Android device. I don't need LTE, but as a marketing move this is the stupidest thing Google could have possibly done. Not to mention, even if I could get over all of this ridiculousness, I have Verizon (and no choice, because I don't pay my bill).

    There is no way this phone will ever be a possibility for me. What am I supposed to do? I currently have a Droid X (the original) and it is a mess. Programs are corrupting (camera only launches 30% of the time, etc.), the screen is starting to fail (black spots in the LCD), the battery is fried, etc. I NEED a phone. This is a huge disappointment.

    I might be interested in the Droid DLX or DNA, but it is just so big....5" is unnecessary even if it's 1080p....and it's still a rumor anyway. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I suck it up (any why), wait it out (really would rather not), or switch to the dark side and the iPhone 5 (really really don't want to, but it may be my only viable option). Thanks for the help and sorry for the rant, but I can't imagine that I am the only one who is just a bit pissed off.
    RAZR M
  3. #53  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by androidfan1479 View Post
    Hey guys. I've had Android since my LG Dare in 2008. Promise I'm not trying to hate or troll or anything here, but I am pretty annoyed at Google right now. I was dying to get the Nexus 4, until I heard it might only have 16GB onboard. Then I found hope in that it was only a rumor, and maybe cloud storage would make okay. Then I realized I can't run apps from a cloud, or listen to music without a data connection (I have 17GB of music alone). Then, Google made my worst nightmares a reality with only 8GB and 16GB options and no expandable storage. Is it too much to ask for 64GB? Even 32? Or a micro sd slot?! I don't care if the price would be higher. I need the space!!!! Then they announced no LTE. WHAT?! Remember the outrage over the iPhone 4 two years ago? That was a bit unjustified, but at this point, not including the latest technology is inexcusable for a flagship Android device. I don't need LTE, but as a marketing move this is the stupidest thing Google could have possibly done. Not to mention, even if I could get over all of this ridiculousness, I have Verizon (and no choice, because I don't pay my bill).

    There is no way this phone will ever be a possibility for me. What am I supposed to do? I currently have a Droid X (the original) and it is a mess. Programs are corrupting (camera only launches 30% of the time, etc.), the screen is starting to fail (black spots in the LCD), the battery is fried, etc. I NEED a phone. This is a huge disappointment.

    I might be interested in the Droid DLX or DNA, but it is just so big....5" is unnecessary even if it's 1080p....and it's still a rumor anyway. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I suck it up (any why), wait it out (really would rather not), or switch to the dark side and the iPhone 5 (really really don't want to, but it may be my only viable option). Thanks for the help and sorry for the rant, but I can't imagine that I am the only one who is just a bit pissed off.
    RAZR M. Dream phone + your problem solved.
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Why is there all this whining about LTE and removable storage? I know it's a year later, but have we forgotten what a train wreck the Verizon Nexus was at the beginning? As far as LTE goes, it's this simple; the Nexus line does not sell enough to have enough clout to dictate the rules to the carriers. The iPhone, on the other hand, does. Do you remember when the Galaxy Nexus became available from the Google Play Store at $349? This was right after the S3 came out and there were plenty of people looking to return their S3 for the Nexus for a few reasons. Jelly Bean, no contract, price, etc. I was one of them. I returned my S3 immediately and picked up a Galaxy Nexus I had already used before in a way on Verizon almost a year prior. No LTE. No SD card. $349 for a 16 GB phone that was almost a year old.

    So about 4 months later, a brand new device is being released with the same deal; 16 GB for $349 off contract. Only this device has a vastly improved screen. Bigger battery. Ridiculously fast processor. Better camera. Better build quality. In fact, in most areas we grade a smartphone on, it's better than any other phone on the market. And it's $349 off contract. Just like the Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play Store, it doesn't have LTE or removable storage. Would this phone be better if it had both of those things? Sure. Would it be more expensive? Undoubtedly.

    So in a world where the cloud offers so many options for storage (Google+, Google Play Music, DropBox, Google Drive, etc) and HSPA+ in a lot of areas offers decent speeds (sometimes just as fast as LTE), the Nexus shines. It shines because it's two shortcomings have reasons behind them. It shines because it's an incredible piece of hardware. It shines because dollar for dollar, this is easily the best Android phone in the world.

    For those of you who can't get past these things, you have so many options. Galaxy S3, Droid Razr (M, HD, Maxx HD), LG Optimus G, One X, etc. For those of you who can appreciate the build quality, the raw power, the beautiful display, and the uninterrupted updates, you've got a very attractive option in one hell of a phone. The best part about Android is that we can choose. And honestly? There's really no wrong choice.
    Thanked by 2:
    GeneDTheUI 
    blackrabbitklan and Ptrm like this.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I can solve the whole no extra space issue in a very simple way - "OTG Cable"

    kthnx.
  6. #56  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,030 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    LG dare was not an android phone...

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Being able to get a device that's spec'd like this one, for $350 (16g) off contract is ridiculous! Tie it to a $45 unlimited everything plan from straight talk and it's a no brainer!
    I currently use AT&T and for 3g of data, the minutes I need and unlimited texts it costs me (before taxes and fees) $110!

    Sent from my HTC One X
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    I encourage everyone to read this article explaining the lack of LTE in the Nexus 4: If Android Central had run an informative article like this here, a LOT of the nerd rage and teeth-gnashing, including mine, would've been mitigated.
    If I had written an "informative" (with quotes because they missed the real reasons -- licensing and open source) I would have been treated like an animal. Read the comments on the blog anytime I say something that isn't popular.

    I don't have it in me this week.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    GeneD 
  9. #59  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    If I had written an "informative" (with quotes because they missed the real reasons -- licensing and open source) I would have been treated like an animal. Read the comments on the blog anytime I say something that isn't popular.

    I don't have it in me this week.
    Some people forget the true nature of Android. Oh well...
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Wow, that's amazing price for such a device. Does anyone have any idea when will this hit the market? How much better is its processor than SGS3's? Should I sell my SGS3 and go for the Nexus 4? What's your opinion who have the Galaxy S3 right now too?
  11. #61  
    TheUI's Avatar

    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted/Jailbroken - Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    @Jerry

    Please don't ever stop saying things that aren't popular. Lord knows we don't need anymore consumerist Zombies.

    Also,

    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain, American Gangster
    Thanked by:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Latency. You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.
    :thumbup:
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by Dementikko View Post
    Wow, that's amazing price for such a device. Does anyone have any idea when will this hit the market? How much better is its processor than SGS3's? Should I sell my SGS3 and go for the Nexus 4? What's your opinion who have the Galaxy S3 right now too?
    You need to get out more. READ the front page articles. :rolleyes:
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  14. #64  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by huzzyz View Post
    I can solve the whole no extra space issue in a very simple way - "OTG Cable"

    kthnx.
    oh yea.. because having a cable hang from your phone is easy and ideal.

    are you serious?
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    oh yea.. because having a cable hang from your phone is easy and ideal.

    are you serious?
    Boys get used to things dangling. Girls point and giggle.
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-01-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Kamin likes this.
  16. #66  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    I see the Nexus 4 as a compromise phone. 32GB would be nice, but most of my time is spent in WiFi range and I can always (like Google wants me to do) upload my music to Google and "pin" what I think I'll want to listen to when out and about - either taking a few seconds to do it while on WiFi or accepting that it might take a few minutes to download it (and eat into a limited data plan) when on 3G.

    Similarly, LTE would be nice, but if I get the Nexus I'll be on some sort of limited data plan anyway, so I'd be looking at shorter battery life to get through my monthly data limit in 10 days instead of 20. Don't get me wrong - I'd have strongly preferred a good LTE radio, but it's not a "must have" in my book.

    What I really, really, REALLY like about this phone is the price. $300 or $350 isn't much more than the carrier subsidized prices on overall pretty similar phones that will become obsolete much faster due to the lack of OS upgrades, and require a long-term commitment to a specific carrier.

    So, sure, I'd LIKE to see more memory, and I'd LIKE to see LTE, but like the Nexus Seven this phone was built to a price point. As such, it cannot be all things to all people.

    THIS phone at THIS price might be enough to get a whole bunch of people to break the carrier chains that bind them, and this is good news for everyone.

    And it's not going to be sufficient for a whole bunch of people, which is fine - they can spend more on something that does have everything they need.
  17. #67  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    oh yea.. because having a cable hang from your phone is easy and ideal.

    are you serious?
    It's not ideal, but you don't necessarily have to have the OTG cable hanging from your phone constantly. Even if you "cheap out" and buy an 8GB one, that's plenty of space to hold all the apps most people will ever need, a few dozen albums, and a movie or two. Carry around an OTG cable and a 64GB USB stick or three and you'll be able to easily copy whatever you might need to local storage in a few seconds, then unplug and re-stow the cable and stick.

    But if the Nexus Seven is any judge, just wait about 3-4 months and a 32GB version will become available.
  18. #68  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?
    Because you aren't limited to a carrier that will offer you the subsidy for the phone you want.

    The selection of phones on StraightTalk is horrible. However, they will sell me a SIM chip for $10 and I can choose between a $30 limited and get a $45 unlimited plan. I can also go to AT&T and get a prepaid plan for $65 a month that includes 1GB of data and unlimited everything else (I'd have to manage my data pretty carefully, but I have yet to exceed 1GB of mobile data a month, and I'm a pretty heavy data user - I just use WiFi often and mobile data judiciously).

    If I go in to an AT&T store and accept a subsidy for a Galaxy S3 for $200 after subsidy, I'm saving about $100 on the purchase of the phone but I'm committing to 2 years at $90 a month if I want 3GB of data and any sort of texting plan. That's $45 a month more than the StraightTalk plan, and $25 a month more than the AT&T prepaid. In six months, I've paid for the Nexus 4 in monthly fee savings.

    Yes, I COULD walk into AT&T with my phone and insist on a month-to-month postpaid plan. I could also set fire to a $50 bill every month. Both can easily be avoided.
    Last edited by natehoy; 10-31-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    MazoMark likes this.
  19. #69  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Because you aren't limited to a carrier that will offer you the subsidy for the phone you want.

    The selection of phones on StraightTalk is horrible. However, they will sell me a SIM chip for $10 and I can choose between a $30 limited and $45 unlimited plan. I can also go to AT&T and get a prepaid plan for $65 a month that includes 1GB of data and unlimited everything else (I'd have to manage my data pretty carefully, but I have yet to exceed 1GB of mobile data a month, and I'm a pretty heavy data user - I just use WiFi often and mobile data judiciously).

    If I go in to an AT&T store and accept a subsidy for a Galaxy S3 for $200 after subsidy, I'm saving about $100 on the purchase of the phone but I'm committing to 2 years at $90 a month if I want 3GB of data and any sort of texting plan. That's $45 a month more than the StraightTalk plan, and $25 a month more than the AT&T prepaid. In six months, I've paid for the Nexus 4 in monthly fee savings.

    Yes, I COULD walk into AT&T with my phone and insist on a month-to-month postpaid plan. I could also set fire to a $50 bill every month. Both can easily be avoided.
    Just to clarify....the BYOD program only works on the $45+ plans. The $30 a month from ST will not work.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  20. #70  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    All can be explained by listening to Muse - Unsustainable LTE + MicroSD Slot = "Economy based on endless growth is unsustainable"
    In conclusion, Nexus 4 is sustainable
    ctk4949 likes this.
  21. #71  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Just to clarify....the BYOD program only works on the $45+ plans. The $30 a month from ST will not work.
    Thanks. I'll correct my original post on that (though I did use the $45 plan for all my math).
  22. #72  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Some people forget the true nature of Android. Oh well...
    Which is?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  23. #73  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Which is?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Community

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Cory Streater and ChromeJob like this.
  24. #74  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Community

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Lol...a vague answer but you make your point none the less.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  25. #75  

    Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Boy's get used to things dangling. Girls point and giggle.
    when you get old enough.. it gets big enough to not "dangle".
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Potential Android user here!
    By ctt1wbw in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
  2. New Android user here
    By Kerti in forum Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 12:23 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
  4. Recommend apps to other android users in the Market?
    By rexpencoe in forum Market Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
  5. Greetings, new Android user here!
    By Rat A Tat in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions

B