Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree67Likes

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

Quote Originally Posted by androidfan1479 View Post
    Hey guys. I've had Android since my LG Dare in 2008. Promise I'm not trying to hate or troll or anything here, but I am pretty annoyed at Google right now. I was dying to get the Nexus 4, until I heard it might only have 16GB onboard. Then I found hope in that it was only a rumor, and maybe cloud storage would make okay. Then I realized I can't run apps from a cloud, or listen to music without a data connection (I have 17GB of music alone). Then, Google made my worst nightmares a reality with only 8GB and 16GB options and no expandable storage. Is it too much to ask for 64GB? Even 32? Or a micro sd slot?! I don't care if the price would be higher. I need the space!!!! Then they announced no LTE. WHAT?! Remember the outrage over the iPhone 4 two years ago? That was a bit unjustified, but at this point, not including the latest technology is inexcusable for a flagship Android device. I don't need LTE, but as a marketing move this is the stupidest thing Google could have possibly done. Not to mention, even if I could get over all of this ridiculousness, I have Verizon (and no choice, because I don't pay my bill).

There is no way this phone will ever be a possibility for me. What am I supposed to do? I currently have a Droid X (the original) and it is a mess. Programs are corrupting (camera only launches 30% of the time, etc.), the screen is starting to fail (black spots in the LCD), the battery is fried, etc. I NEED a phone. This is a huge disappointment.

I might be interested in the Droid DLX or DNA, but it is just so big....5" is unnecessary even if it's 1080p....and it's still a rumor anyway. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I suck it up (any why), wait it out (really would rather not), or switch to the dark side and the iPhone 5 (really really don't want to, but it may be my only viable option). Thanks for the help and sorry for the rant, but I can't imagine that I am the only one who is just a bit pissed off.
    Sounds like you want a Galaxy S3 or something that will meet your needs. I don't see why everyone needs to carry around their entire music library. I have 40GB and carrying around around 4GB at a time is enough for several days of continuous music. That will easily get you through even an 8 hour plane ride across the the ocean.

If it's really that big a deal then the Nexus 4 isn't for you. I'd recommend the Galaxy S3.

Default Re: Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Sounds like you want a Galaxy S3 or something that will meet your needs. I don't see why everyone needs to carry around their entire music library. I have 40GB and carrying around around 4GB at a time is enough for several days of continuous music. That will easily get you through even an 8 hour plane ride across the the ocean.

If it's really that big a deal then the Nexus 4 isn't for you. I'd recommend the Galaxy S3.
    Agree. If you must have your entire music collection with you at all times and an SD card and LTE are critical to you, then a Nexus phone is not for you. Nexus phones have never had SD card slots that I remember. And based on messages from Google, it sounds like Nexus won't have LTE until there is more cross carrier compatability with it. Nexus is supposed to be open and flexible user experience and right now, LTE does not support that.

I don't feel Google has let me down with the direction of the Nexus 4. Google likes things simple. They love being able to create a new set of source code or update/bug fix and get it out to the masses fast. After the let down from Verizon and Sprint with the GNex and the whole LTE closed licensing proprietary code it just left Google in a bad spot. I don't blame Google for being upset about the way things went, here the GSM based GNex's all pushed out JB and here was Verizon and Sprint lagging weeks, months behind.. Just isn't what Google and the Nexus stands for, IMO.

As far as the storage on the Nexus 4, well as Google has said its a device based on people that utilize the cloud based services so thats really about it in a nut shell. Non removable battery, I guess this is eventually the way things are going so Google is making its first real attempt at embracing it by using it in the newest Nexus.

The Nexus 4 will do fine as a non LTE device and for those who don't fit the mold of what Google is offering we have plenty of other options available to us.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MazoMark View Post
    Agree. If you must have your entire music collection with you at all times and an SD card and LTE are critical to you, then a Nexus phone is not for you. Nexus phones have never had SD card slots that I remember. And based on messages from Google, it sounds like Nexus won't have LTE until there is more cross carrier compatability with it. Nexus is supposed to be open and flexible user experience and right now, LTE does not support that.
    I'm in the process of transferring a bunch of albums I want to keep on hand to Google Music. Since i'm on wifi most of the time streaming won't be an issue for me to listen to my tunes. I'm finally converting to cloud-based storage as opposed to keeping thousands of songs on my phone. We'll see how it goes, but i'm excited about the prospect.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hey guys. I've had Android since my LG Dare in 2008. Promise I'm not trying to hate or troll or anything here, but I am pretty annoyed at Google right now. I was dying to get the Nexus 4, until I heard it might only have 16GB onboard. Then I found hope in that it was only a rumor, and maybe cloud storage would make okay. Then I realized I can't run apps from a cloud, or listen to music without a data connection (I have 17GB of music alone). Then, Google made my worst nightmares a reality with only 8GB and 16GB options and no expandable storage. Is it too much to ask for 64GB? Even 32? Or a micro sd slot?! I don't care if the price would be higher. I need the space!!!! Then they announced no LTE. WHAT?! Remember the outrage over the iPhone 4 two years ago? That was a bit unjustified, but at this point, not including the latest technology is inexcusable for a flagship Android device. I don't need LTE, but as a marketing move this is the stupidest thing Google could have possibly done. Not to mention, even if I could get over all of this ridiculousness, I have Verizon (and no choice, because I don't pay my bill).

There is no way this phone will ever be a possibility for me. What am I supposed to do? I currently have a Droid X (the original) and it is a mess. Programs are corrupting (camera only launches 30% of the time, etc.), the screen is starting to fail (black spots in the LCD), the battery is fried, etc. I NEED a phone. This is a huge disappointment.

I might be interested in the Droid DLX or DNA, but it is just so big....5" is unnecessary even if it's 1080p....and it's still a rumor anyway. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I suck it up (any why), wait it out (really would rather not), or switch to the dark side and the iPhone 5 (really really don't want to, but it may be my only viable option). Thanks for the help and sorry for the rant, but I can't imagine that I am the only one who is just a bit pissed off.
    Google has stated why they rid of SD cards. Even AC posted on why: Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central Here is what Google said:
    "We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.

-- Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google"

My Amaze is just about schizophrenic with /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd and it's a flip of the coin if a program puts it on the internal or external "sdcard" volume. I'm tired of it. It's just so much simpler on the Nexus 7.

I might like to have 12+ hours of music with me when I'm traveling (like I am again tomorrow), but ... that's what my iPod classic 160gb is for.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

Dissect all you want haha. Sure wireless charging is really cool, and I want that. NFC is in its infancy, I can wait 2 years for that if I have to. Wireless display technology has been available for years, I've been doing it with my dad's AppleTv and my 3G iPod Touch for a while now. There isn't much else new except for the software, which is software and therefore likely not exclusive to this phone.
    LTE is definitely mainstream, Verizon almost always has coverage and it is improving every day. It's 10 times faster than 3G!!! Even if it hogs battery, they should've included it and had an option to toggle it on and off.
    Why won't the MicroSD thing change? I mean, I could care less if phones in the future have it or not, as long as they have a decent amount of onboard storage, which this certainly does not.
    You've got to realize that putting LTE radios into every phone wouldn't be free, and would push the price of the phone up.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted/Jailbroken - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    My Amaze is just about schizophrenic with /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd and it's a flip of the coin if a program puts it on the internal or external "sdcard" volume. I'm tired of it. It's just so much simpler on the Nexus 7.

I might like to have 12+ hours of music with me when I'm traveling (like I am again tomorrow), but ... that's what my iPod classic 160gb is for.
    Isn't that classic Apple's finest hour? What a great piece of tech. I heard that if you smash an iPod classic and an old Nokia 3310 together, a new universe will expand from the epicenter of the collision.

Unfortunately not everyone is going to be happy with all configuration offered. If for example this phone had inbuilt 64Gb storage some would still complain because they have a SD card with x amount of music and videos they like to be able to transfer from device to device.

I personally will be happy with 16Gb as I do not use cloud storage to that degree, preferring to use Netflix just for a variety of choice or link directly to my NAS drive at home via WiFi/Data, as I have yet to find the SD card that can carry 100+ Gig of films and music. Some people will point out that using Data and or WiFi is not always available, for these situations I load the films and or music I want to my phone or use a USB pen drive linked to my devices by a OTG cable.

Each to their own but the storage is not an issue for me and for that reason, I'm in.
    Last edited by masterpfa; 11-02-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    They are, except at a lower resolution. I use dropbox as well for instant photo uploading, it works great.
    Don't know if this has been asked , but I wonder if G+ will updated to upload photos at higher resolution with 4.2 launch?

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I'm slightly disappointed there isn't a removable battery. Having spares handy is nice. But it's far from a deal breaker.

I think the anger toward this phone stems from people saying "But if it only had -this- then it would be a perfect phone". Whether it's more storage/SD card/removable battery/LTE or a combination of two or more of those things, there's just a disappointment that it leaves out things some people deem necessary. I'd love for it to have LTE and maybe 32 GB of storage, but I recognize the reason why it doesn't have these things. As a result of them not having it, I don't have to pay $500-600 off contract to buy the phone. I personally love the fact that Google is sticking it to the carriers. A Nexus just isn't a Nexus when a carrier halts their updates.

If I had to guess, I'd say Google is going to try to market this on their own and sell as many as they can to get the attention of the carriers. Apple can do whatever they want with the carriers because they have an incredible sales track record and the carriers bend over backwards because of it. If Google could get the Nexus line into the same category, they could release unbranded phones with LTE through the carriers without having to wait for updates. That's the thing I think a lot of people forget when they compare the iPhone to the Nexus; Apple is more or less uninterrupted in what they want to do. The last time Google tried working with a carrier on an important launch, the Galaxy Nexus was delayed for about a month and has since been updated very, very slowly. Not to mention that it was completely pushed aside by Verizon due to the Droid RAZR.

I want nothing to do with a carrier branded Nexus and thankfully I don't need to deal with it. Nexus 4 looks to be a monster and I'm looking forward to buying one on the 13th.
    Thanked by 2:
    ChromeJob and dakid2k6 like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericsckane View Post
    Apple can do whatever they want with the carriers because they have an incredible sales track record and the carriers bend over backwards because of it.
    If you're referring to sales as a hole (iPods especially), yes - Apple does have incredible sales track record.

But in terms of mobile phones, Apple is relatively young to the mobile phone industry. AT&T bet big on them early on.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

I just hate google/lg all agreed to that gaudy plastic chrome rim around the phone. Also they could of made nicer buttons since the rest of the hardware screams well made.

Now thats being picky

Still ordering one

Dang 17GB of music and you carry it all with you? Wow at most I have maybe 10 albums ever on my phone and I don't even use them that much cause I normally use Pandora.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234