Am I the only disappointed Android user here? The Nexus 4 let me down

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Dissect all you want haha. Sure wireless charging is really cool, and I want that. NFC is in its infancy, I can wait 2 years for that if I have to. Wireless display technology has been available for years, I've been doing it with my dad's AppleTv and my 3G iPod Touch for a while now. There isn't much else new except for the software, which is software and therefore likely not exclusive to this phone.
LTE is definitely mainstream, Verizon almost always has coverage and it is improving every day. It's 10 times faster than 3G!!! Even if it hogs battery, they should've included it and had an option to toggle it on and off.
Why won't the MicroSD thing change? I mean, I could care less if phones in the future have it or not, as long as they have a decent amount of onboard storage, which this certainly does not.

Yeah LTE is mainstream but the technology used behind the carriers are different. Europe vs US, ATT vs Verizon vs Sprint. They run on a different band, and in order for them to out LTE in they would have to make seperate models.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
U realize this phone is about 2/3 to 1/2 the price of every other phone out right now and will blow them out of the water? Lte shouldn't matter for GSM users that much. I get 6-10mbps download on my hspa+ note and then when I'm at home I'm on wifi. If ur willing to drop $300+ for SD card slot and LTE then go for it. Like stated above pound for pound this will out due any phone out now and will be keeping up for a long while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Storage and LTE aside, this thing smokes the GS3 in every conceivable fashion--internals, software, screen, etc.

I agree. I may leave sprint for this phone within a month. The reason I love this phone is because google can come out with one every year and I can afford to buy one at 350!! Sell my old one for $100. Spend 250 every year for a brand new Nexus!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I may leave sprint for this phone within a month. The reason I love this phone is because google can come out with one every year and I can afford to buy one at 350!! Sell my old one for $100. Spend 250 every year for a brand new Nexus!!

Yup. I'm contemplating selling my Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and using the amazing amount of times I've called and complained to them (and requested and received replacements) as a means of getting out of the ETF.

We'll see, however.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered the benefits? That price point is evangelical my friend. I know you don't have a say in your carrier, but since I pay my bills, I do and this handset will save me more money than any "specentric" feature ever will, both literally and metaphorically.

Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how does the nexus save you money when you pay full price + carrier fees compared to subsidized phone + same carrier fees?

Because prepaid deals and a lack of ETF can ultimately equal savings over the long run, especially since this thing, off contract, is barely more than most high end devices (which this is) on contract/subsidized.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

350 + $50 a month for straight talk so I'd pay $950 for a year of unlimited everything. Verizon let's say I get a $199 phone. Plus I'd pay 70$ for the 4gb share everything I use 3-4gb on straight talk so just trying to be fair. Plus its $40 I believe per smartphone. So $110 a month plus tax it'd be about $125 with no insurance just like I have on straight talk. So that's $200 plus $1500 so $1700 total. Straight talk is almost half the price. That's a lot of money to be saved. Plus no contract. But straight talk doesn't have 4g LTE so its a trade off really.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I never understood the people that needed their entire music collection on their phone.

But I guess I have that now with Google Music. :)

All of my music has been uploaded to the cloud. I've made various playlists. If needed, I just "pin" playlists or specific songs or albums to save them to my phone for offline use. When I don't need them, back to the cloud they go.
+1000000000000000000000000000000 about music... i have all my collection on google music. it just feels great.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
At some point their will only be lte. HSDPA+ might not be around in a few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

If anything don't u think they would get rid of edge, keep 3g to fall back on when out of LTE range?

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade on sprint hits in 2 days, but I'm not doing it. Contract up in February, not extending. I've been using a Galaxy Exhibit for a few months now on tmobile prepaid, and love it.

Nexus 4 willl be on tmobile prepaid

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ptrm

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You can use Google Music which will hold all your music and when you are away from a data connection you can pin songs to listen to offline. If you can I'd recommend getting the $30 t-mobile plan as it includes 5gb of data and is off contract.

metaldood

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You can use Google Music which will hold all your music and when you are away from a data connection you can pin songs to listen to offline. If you can I'd recommend getting the $30 t-mobile plan as it includes 5gb of data and is off contract.

But only 100 minutes, spotty T-mobile coverage, no roaming on prepaid.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
If anything don't u think they would get rid of edge, keep 3g to fall back on when out of LTE range?

There isn't really any reason in the long run to do that, if they can get sorted out the voice over LTE issue. This is years down the road though, for the purposes of this handset, it has HSPA+42 and a network to deliver that though the likely lifetime of the device.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Well, I'm glad you asked.

I have one month left on my Sprint contract. The handsets I would consider getting from them (as a reference point) are the GS3 and the Note 2. $200 and $300 respectively, plus a $90/mo (at least) bill. LTE is not slated for my area, and my 3G speeds are sub 1Mb down, at all times. T-Mobile, on the other hand has their HSPA+ band up and running in my area, and the coverage is good throughout the metro which is where I spend nearly all of my time.

The reason I prefaced with that statement is because, as always, you have to consider what is going on in your neighborhood before making these decisions.

So $200 + 90(24) = $2360 for EDGE speeds and the update lottery prone GS3 (although in fairness to Sprint, they are getting it done with this handset).

Versus

$350 + $30(24) = $1070 for HSPA+ speeds, cutting edge hardware and updates directly from Google.

$2360 - 1070 = $1290 in savings over the length of a two year contract. Or, if you prefer to look at this way, buy two years off contract and get the next two years free and STILL have about $100 left over towards that new Nexus.

Haha, the carriers are crook'n us big time. It's a gouge, and I am more than happy to cast my vote towards the invisible hand in favor of both my wallet and of the consumer.

*shrug*

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
But they have a unofficial "cap" of 200MB /day & 2GB/month else they will cancel your account for "hogging" bandwidth.

I use 3-4 gb a month for the past 4-5 months on straight talk with no problems.I think it depends on where u live what kind of congestion the towers get and what not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol