Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    MiRaGe/jawz101 kernel

Default Will 8GB suffice?

The shipping and taxes of the 16GB Nexus 4 will come up to be about $385 for me, since that was the same price for the Galaxy Nexus for me.
    However, using the same calculations, the 8GB Nexus 4 will come up to be ~$345 for me, case and all.
    So, I was wondering,
    should ~8GB be enough storage for me??
    I stream my music, but have about 1GB I like to keep with me.
    I love apps and games, however, I use Link2SD on my Optimus V, so I don't know what the ~120 apps I have would translate to in real storage.
    D:
    Opinions?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

Default Re: Will 8GB suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Encerspay45 View Post
    The shipping and taxes of the 16GB Nexus 4 will come up to be about $385 for me, since that was the same price for the Galaxy Nexus for me.
    However, using the same calculations, the 8GB Nexus 4 will come up to be ~$345 for me, case and all.
    So, I was wondering,
    should ~8GB be enough storage for me??
    I stream my music, but have about 1GB I like to keep with me.
    I love apps and games, however, I use Link2SD on my Optimus V, so I don't know what the ~120 apps I have would translate to in real storage.
    D:
    Opinions?
    What size card do you use on your Optimus V?
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I always get more than I think I need and get the biggest storage available so I wont regret it later on but thats's just me. I'm getting the 16GB so I don't have any worries.
    Encerspay45 likes this.

to put in perspective.... I have an HTC one S (16GB)
    the phone itself takes up 3.86GB (including Sense... so it will be slighly smaller on the Nexus)
    I have no music on my phone... Just apps, Photos, and some videos I took. and that is only 2.04GB used
    that leaves me 10GB still left on my phone that I dont use... and if it was an 8GB phone Id still have 2GB left

So its your choice...
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry and MERCDROID like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    MiRaGe/jawz101 kernel

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    This article really helped change my perspective on things, and how to utilize my media with the cloud.
    Great contributions to the thread, everyone, thank you!
    Thanked by 3:
    donecpackstrapRy 
    Ry, MERCDROID, packstrap and 1 others like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Encerspay45 View Post
    This article really helped change my perspective on things, and how to utilize my media with the cloud.
    Great contributions to the thread, everyone, thank you!
    Ole Jerry tends to do that .
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

not for me I have a 32 gig and this says it all I have more music in the cloud and I'm gonna get more rooms 16 gigs I had a 16 gig card and filled it

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will 8GB suffice?-uploadfromtaptalk1351562857919.jpg  

I have 2GB LTE data plan on my S3. I have a commute of 35 mins one way. Just for the shizzle I tried streaming cloud/spotify every day for the whole commute both ways... Guess what? I am almost out of data in 20 days. If Samsung goes the route of no-SD then we are all doomed.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Jerry's piece about 8GB being enough is good and I would like to agree, but I have the Mytouch 4G with 4GB and external storage and I have had to be conscience on what goes on my phone as two years has almost past. I would rather spend $50 dollars now and get more storage than the probable chance that I wish I had more 1 to 2 years later. When it comes to phones (especially on a contract) I don't think about compromises or savings but rather what will the phone be like a year to two years from now.
    John-Smith likes this.

I know it's not convenient but there is always the USB OTG if you need to haul around some really large files like movies etc. Personally, I couldn't cripple a phone of this caliber with anything less than 16gb.
    CardcaptorRLH85 likes this.

I'm perfectly fine with 8GB, I don't have a ton of apps and I rely on the cloud for music. If I need to store songs on my phone I just pin and unpin them through Google Music as I see fit.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
    I have 2GB LTE data plan on my S3. I have a commute of 35 mins one way. Just for the shizzle I tried streaming cloud/spotify every day for the whole commute both ways... Guess what? I am almost out of data in 20 days. If Samsung goes the route of no-SD then we are all doomed.
    make 3Gb of frequent music offline and you will save 1.5 Gb data every month. 16 gb is still enough in my opinion.
    Thanked by:
    npo

no way that would work for me. I just got back from a trip, and I've got 10.5 gb free on my 32gb SGS3. About 7 of those are photos from the trip, but even without those I'd be tight on space even with 16gb. And all my music except ring tones are on my external sd.

My 8GB N7 has 2.75GB available right now.
    My 16GB GNex has 9.56GB available right now.

I'll probably grab the 16GB version of the N4 just for the extra $25-30 resale value in a year and the possibility of games filling it up. But $299 is tempting.

I'm debating this but now that I think about it, I was going to pay 300$ for the 8S which only have 4GB of memory so is still amazing deal. How much space does one of those Gameloft games take? (They look really good so I guess they are like 2GBs right? :O )

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    make 3Gb of frequent music offline and you will save 1.5 Gb data every month. 16 gb is still enough in my opinion.
    Google music it's possible. Spotify I don't think so. I am on shuffle most of the time.

8GB would be enough for me. But I always get the feeling I might need to turn on the video capture to do some citizen journalism and you never know with these things how long you should record and going at a 1080p 20Mbps rate you could probably only record half an hour before you max out. Hmm now that I think about it, just general stupid videos there would only be 30 minutes worth at 1080p. Okay maybe it won't be enough for anything video related...

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

I was on Sprint, and then T-Mobile, and now back to Sprint, and neither one has good enough coverage where I live for me to be able to trust streaming music services. I just got a 64gb card the other day and I've already put 10gb of music on it, and I've only just begun to go through my 27,000+ mp3's to find what I want to put on the phone. I deliver pizza four nights a week, and have a 42 mile drive (one way) to school three days a week, so I need all the music I can get. I can tell you that even a 32gb version wouldn't be enough for me.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. --Cassis, John

Quote Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
    Google music it's possible. Spotify I don't think so. I am on shuffle most of the time.
    where does spotify comes when comparing low storage... even if you have 128 Gb storage in your phone you still have to stream using data for spotify.
    Last edited by still1; 10-30-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garfnodie View Post
    I was on Sprint, and then T-Mobile, and now back to Sprint, and neither one has good enough coverage where I live for me to be able to trust streaming music services. I just got a 64gb card the other day and I've already put 10gb of music on it, and I've only just begun to go through my 27,000+ mp3's to find what I want to put on the phone. I deliver pizza four nights a week, and have a 42 mile drive (one way) to school three days a week, so I need all the music I can get. I can tell you that even a 32gb version wouldn't be enough for me.
    Why do you need these on your phone if you are just using it in your car? Can't get another mp3 player that will support more storage and use your phone as a phone?
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    packstrap likes this.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Why do you need these on your phone if you are just using it in your car? Can't get another mp3 player that will support more storage and use your phone as a phone?
    Because I only just got a radio in the car that can do Bluetooth streaming, and since I already have the phone, might as well use it for navigation and music and podcasts. Why buy another device when my phone can do it all for me? Isn't that kind of the point of these fancy mobile computers?
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. --Cassis, John

The below is a comment I left on an article. Its relevant here, so I'm just gonna copy and paste.

I hate to say it but anyone would be a fool to get an 8GB model. For nexus devices the memory is shared. After system data on a 8GB model your only left with ~6GB useable memory. Now take into account apps are installed on that same memory. Also, pictures taken on the 8MP camera are gonna have a large file size. Another thing, with an HD display apps will automatically download HD data files instead of the standard resolution files (Mostly for games though). Finally (that I can think of), as technology grows so will app sizes. Take Asphalt 7 for example, it takes up 1.4GB alone.

Trust me, nobody get the 8GB version. Remember there is no way to expand the storage later on. Yes, 16GB maybe way more then plenty for some, but it's better to have it an not need it, then to need it and not have it.
    AT&T LG Optimus G w/ Stock
    GSM Galaxy Nexus w/ Jellybro CM10
    Samsung Captivate w/ Official CM10
    Acer A100 w/ Unofficial CM9
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI 2.5.18(ICS) w/Tiamat

Yeah, I personally understand the argument for cloud storage. I use dropbox and I love it. However, there is something to be said for physical storage. I'm like one of those people who started burying there money in the back yard after the stock market crash in the 30's. I always feel like "what if something happens???" So I always buy as much storage as my money will allow. I love the fact that my GNex packs 28 gigs out the box. If it supported expandable storage I would add another 16 gig or more. So I guess i'm a proponent for both.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy's Jellybean 4.2.1

I could buy the 8GB and have some room left, but after reading the article by Alex I'm in for the 16GB model. Google has made both very affordable, and I'm happy to spend more money to support them.

here is the link to the article that I mentioned
    http://m.androidcentral.com/don-t-buy-8gb-nexus-4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast